1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8: The Mormon Proposition...Wow...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Revan, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't find a thread specifically about the movie, but I just almost finished watching it (stupid Megavideo only allows 72 minutes and the movie's 78 -_-) and I have never cried and felt sick in my life.

This movie...just makes me feel so saddened by what people are going through in the States and other places, and made me feel so sick to my stomach when I heard what the mormon bigots (in the film) said...I know we see it on youtube comments and such every day, but to hear them say it in a documentary and hear them joke about it, to see the homeless youth, to know that the National Organization for Marriage is a mormon church front (some of you may know this already, I didn't), it just makes me so angry and sad and hurt and so many emotions I can't even list all of them....you guys have to see it if you haven't already.

I have a megavideo link that has it, but I don't know if Megavideo is allowed, if someone can tell me if Megavideo links are ok or not I'd appreciate it. If not, tell me how else I could post it so people can watch it.

2. Hehe, I just got done watching it! It was a fantastic movie and I'm glad I watched it, but it was really brutal. The scene where the homeless kids are showing the cameraman the place where they sleep was just soul-crushing. Also, the guy who was sharing his shock-therapy story was really hard to watch. I didn't cry, but I had a really bad feeling in my stomach. I don't believe that all Mormons are bad people, but I believe that their religion have a lot of big flaws. There are a lot of very good people out there who are Mormons. Sadly, the indoctrination has turned a lot of them into monsters. :frowning2:

And wasn't the funding for the support of Prop 8 just total BS? I can't believe they got away with what they did. They are a religious organization, not a fucking political party. If they're going to donate $22 million to a political cause, then their tax-exempt status should be revoked. They make me sick.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know! And what's more, I just never realized that the National Organization for Marriage is just a front group for the Mormon Church. I just never thought it was possible...but there it is. And as for the Mormons themselves, I don't believe all of them are bad people either. That one elderly woman who was talking about the deaths of kids she'd attended, it didn't say she was a former mormon, it said she was a mormon and yet here she was talking about how horrible these kids died because of the church's prejudice. And yeah, the homeless was heart-breaking (though I hate to say it, I did find that one boy interviewed, Miyo, kinda cute...but felt sooo bad for him), and the man talking about the shock therapy...that was just like I bawled.

4. ArcaneVerse

I havent watched this movie yet but I do plan to see it. I would advise though that anyone who has watched or is going to watch it remember that this move is going to be extremely biased and may not be 100% truthful and that you should all do further research into what you are being told in this film before you take it as fact. Should also point out that in contrast to the bad things the church does, it also does a lot of good with charity type things but don't get me wrong though, I know the church is very capable of doing horrible things and I am not trying to make excuses for them.

5. djt820

i cant find a working link for this movie at all. Oh well...

6. mydogstewie

I couldn't watch all the stuff about suicides. I was feeling sick >.> but I watched after that. it was terribly sad.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again, am I allowed to post Megavideo links? If I am I can post the link.

8. I have a link for it on XTShare. You don't have to take a break after 70 minutes (like Megavideo forces you to) and it has pretty good picture quality. Am I allowed to post it?

9. djt820

Probably not. Mods will get butthurt.

10. Walolas

I would love to see this. Can you send me the link through a private message if you aren't allowed to post it publicly?

11. Emberstone

you can get it on netflix.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um, piracy is bad. Particularly pirating THIS movie which is an indy film made by someone who cares about gay and lesbian people and wants to get the word out.

I don't know if any of you have any concept of what it takes to make even a low-budget documentary like this, but it's at least $50,000-$100,000. Distribution costs are a lot higher than that. A documentary is lucky if it even breaks even, and with piracy, it's getting harder and harder.

If everyone insists on watching short indy films like this for free, then filmmakers won't make enough money off fo them to keep making them. This film has a really important message, and if we want filmmakers to keep doing stuff like this, we need to support them.

It costs $4 to view on-demand through amazon. That's one trip to Starbucks. If you have Netflix, they've already licensed it and it's free to view.

Don't post links to piracy sites, don't pass links about online piracy sites through PM. Not just because it's against our CoC, but because it's stealing from somebody trying to do good for our community.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hence why I didn't post a link on here, nor when someone asked me for it online. And I don't agree with piracy, but I've got a big enough credit card statement as it is, I'm not paying 4 bucks for it. BTW I agree with paying for it, but did you know the Human Rights Campaign is giving it for free if you donate $75 to the campaign. I'm sorry, to me that's kind of totally ridiculous. But like I said, don't agree with piracy...hence why I didn't post it.

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't blaming you, just making a generalized statement.

Obviously they've made a deal with the producer of the film. He's either giving it to them for free as a premium to spur donations, or they've bought copies to give away with donations. Either way, those sorts of premiums are really effective in increasing donations.

15. DexterMorgan

I'll have to watch it....it's on Netflix Watch Instantly.

Edit: My bad, it's DVD only. Now I have to wait for it in the mail... Lol

#15 DexterMorgan, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  16. ArcaneVerse

Wouldnt it be more important to the film makers that the message gets spread and heard, then to make money? I'm not saying that if you can afford it and have easy access to it that you should just download it anyway, but maybe some people dont have the money or the means to obtain this film.

and piracy isnt making that much of a dent in sales really as most people who download wouldnt be buying it even if they didnt have the option to download it.

17. Walolas

Sorry. I didn't know if it was free to watch on a website they set up or not. If I get the money though I will try to rent it.

18. EWU2012

I watched the movie today and I was lost for words. Although I know not all mormons have the same views it makes me almost hate the LDS Church for their beliefs. Not specific individuals but the church as a whole. Now I know hate is a strong word but that is how I felt. I also got really emotional when they talked about the suicides and homeless teens and I thought it was cool that the mother had so much support for her son. I think everyone needs to see this movie.

19. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've talked to a lot of filmmakers at the level of the guy that made this film. A lot of them are in debt up to their eyeballs... they put the production costs of the film on credit cards, or take out a 2nd mortgage on their houses, or whatever, and hope they'll make back their costs. Of course they want people to see their films, but if everybody steals it, then they simply can't afford to make new films.

Everybody uses the "Oh, I'm a broke student and I can't afford it" but I GUARANTEE that with very, very few exceptions there isn't anybody out there that can't afford $4 to view on Amazon. As I said above, that's one trip to Starbucks, one pack of chips and a drink, less than half the cost of a movie at a theater.

If you can't afford to rent it, that isn't a valid justification for stealing. You probably wouldn't go up to a movie theater and demand they let you in to watch a movie for free because you don't feel like (or can't afford) paying for it. Downloading films illegally is exactly the same thing.

Actually, that isn't true. It's a nice rationalization made by the people who steal others intellectual property, but the truth is, independent artists and filmmakers are feeling the pinch from piracy to the point that many have stopped producing new content. And that hurts everyone. It won't improve until people realize that yes, their $4 DOES make a difference to the artist or filmmaker.

20. titaniumCloset

I rented it on iTunes for like $3 or 4. I thought it was pretty good and would recommend it, but it wasn't AMAZING or anything. I think if they followed multiple relationships and not just those two guys it would have been better. They were very cute together though which made me happy at the beginning of the movie, but then it quickly turned very sad.