1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

books like lotr

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by fragomatrick, Jul 29, 2010.

1. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can anyone please recommend books of the same genre as of the lord of the rings?

2. Bang Bang

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. MusicIsLife

YOU HAVENT?!! shame on you.

My suggestions: The Fire of Heaven series by Russell Kirkpatrick, or The Sword of Shannara series by Terry Brooks.

4. Bang Bang

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol. I know! :frowning2: I have the second book in my room, the Two Towers, is it? I'm just too lazy to read it. I haven't even seen the movies.

5. MusicIsLife

It's my favourite book series, so I am shocked, however I know a lot of people find it a difficult read so I'll find it in my heart to forgive you...somehow :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    eragon?

Robert Jordan's "the wheel of time" ?

the Joust series by Mercades Lackney?

hmn... should be alright for a start, especially the wheel of time :confused:

7. Bang Bang

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL. It's not that it's difficult to read... I kind of don't understand it. I mean, like what the heck is this ring everyone's fighting over? Ha ha!

8. SlickyPants

Even though it was published as three books it was written as one large book so if all you have is the second book it is like watching a movie that's already and hour in and wondering what's going on. If you ever decide to give it a go it would be in your best interest of enjoyment to start from the beginning of the story. It explains what the ring is, how it came to be, what it does, how it came to be in possession of Frodo, where they're going, why they're going there and innumerable other details that would explain a lot of things in the second book.

9. Bang Bang

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I never really understood why I bought the second book first. I guess it was on sale?
    I would really like to get into this LOTR world, I find it fascinating. When I have the time, I'll look into getting the first book.
    Thanks. :slight_smile:

10. Just Adam

robert jordans the wheel of time is the only true comparison and its so much more than lotr its not really a comparison.

11. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’d definitely say: get the three volumes. “The Lord of the Rings” really is one book, just split in three volumes because 1400 pages aren’t easy to haul around (though both my English and Dutch copies are just that: 1400 page monstrosities :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

As for books that are like it: I’m going to put in a vote for George R.R. Martin’s “A Song of Ice and Fire” books. The first one is called “A Game of Thrones”. While the fantasy elements are pretty low-key at first (The first part of the first book is more an alternate history War of the Roses), it really is one of the finest fantasy novels ever written.

While a lot of people mention the Wheel of Time books, I must say that I’ve soured on them. The first few were pretty good, but by the last one I read (the eighth one), the story was slowing down so much I just lost interest. I felt like quantity started overshadowing quality…