1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scary Books

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by davo-man, Sep 17, 2007.

1. davo-man

I just finished reading "Secret Window, Secret Garden" by Stephen King, and i have to say that some parts of it really freaked me out. (It's the book that Secret Window is based on starring Johnny Depp (really good movie btw)) It was interesting because i don't think Ive ever been scared by a book before, and i didnt think it was possible, especially seeing as Ive only gotten scared by one movie in my life (The Shining)

So, I was just wondering if any of you have ever been scared by a book. It can be any book, such as The Shining or Little Women (if anyone gets that reference and tells me what TV show its from, they get a prize). What part scared you and why?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has read "Secret Window, Secret Garden". Im studying it for English, and would love to hear your opinions on it.

2. boynextdoor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The Shining scared you?
    I loved the Shining.
    Did you see Rose Red?

3. davo-man

Maybe scared's not the right word, I just thought it was great editting whit the bit with the two girls, flashing to them dead, flashing to him screaming. I also loved the repeated bit with the elevators of blood.

I love the movie, and it doesnt scare me in a way that maks me not wanna see it. It freaks me out in a way i enjoy

4. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

I remember this book I read,it was full of short scary stories.There was one in there about Jack The Ripper,and how part of the bridge he jumped off of was sent to a central state of the US and the anniversary was coming up,so two sisters went to see it and one of them disappeared while the other one was being chased by Jack on the bridge.She comes to find out that her sister was obsessed with Jack and how it was a woman who killed everybody and wanted to do the same.Freaky!

5. stephen king freaks me out! i love it! if you like horror, john saul is always good. he's like the best of stephen king (without the loooooooooonnnnnng details that can be skipped), and koontz (who sometimes takes a turn into sci-fi). just a suggestion.....

6. Jeimuzu

I don't really read horror, I don't quite get the attraction. Mind you, has anyone here played Clive Barker's Undying? That game was, in parts, terrifying. Weird...

My friend has told me that Bentley Little is a good horror author. I looked up his stories... they seem to be a little weird. Usually some malevolent influence taking over, rather than one evil being. For example, in University, the university itself is turning people into psychopaths, rapists and murderers. Don't really know why.

7. Axel

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Cell was very good, I KNEW CELL PHONES WERE EVIL:rolleyes:

8. Zec24

I've read some horror books. It's best if you read stephen king books late at night and if yyou are alone to get the full effect of the horror. I don't get scared by many movies though which makes me sad. I love scary movies. On that note, if anyone could suggest some scary movies please do!

9. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Stephen King's books - but they don't scare me. I knew this girl who couldn't read "It" at night because then she had nightmares about evil clowns. "It" is my favorite by the way.

10. Level N Human

I thought this topic was gonna be about that "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" series by Alvin Shwartz that traumatized me when I was little. :slight_smile:.. Those illustrations were just uncalled for..

Anyways, I've never gotten that frightened reading a book recently, maybe it's just that I haven't read many horror books though.

11. Davey

i'm reading "Cell" right now. its pretty good i don't want to put it down most of the time. i couldn't tell you a thing that happened in Algebra 1 Friday! haha

12. Spark

Spark Guest

That was a great read, i actually found it more entertaining than scary. But Im reading Clive Barkers Books of Blood right now which is a collection of short stories. Midnight Meat Train was scary as hell!

13. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

The Lottery was freaky