1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amtgard

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Sylver, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Sylver

For those who don't know, Amtgard is a live action role playing (LARP) game played across North America. It's sort of like a medieval reenactment and live martial combat rolled into one. You dress up in garb (period appropriate clothing), you use padded weapons, and you fight battles with others in a park. A friend described it to me like "Wizard's Chess" and that is a wonderful description, because it involves strategy, skill with a weapon, and physical fitness. Another way to think of it is "sports for nerds".. the nerds might not realize it, but they are getting a major physical workout when they play this! :slight_smile:

I went to my first Amtgard event yesterday in St. Paul Minnesota, with the Starmount chapter. I got to see how the game works, and then I got to play for 3 hours in the blazing heat! This is the most fun I've had in a long time.. I love playing hockey in winter and I'd say this is as much fun or more.. the medieval theme and the personas you adopt are lots of fun, but the battles are amazing.. it's not just that you're participating in a real battle where two teams are out to kill each other, but when you get into a heated one-on-one battle with another person who is out to kill you.. and you are out to kill them.. and it pits your tactical skills and weapons skills and your physical ability against theirs.. it really stirs something primal in you.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's a great way to relieve some tension!

I have to say.. I became addicted to Amtgard in a single day. What an awesome game! Now I want to help start a chapter up here in my part of Canada, hopefully by next spring.

Any other Amtgardians on EC? Anyone interested in knowing more?

2. Connor22

no offence James but it sounds silly :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Shevanel

Omfg, like Role Models?
    [​IMG]

As nerdy as it may be, it sounds awesome xD

4. Sylver

Connor, you suck.. :lol:

Seriously though, I thought the same thing when I first heard about this.. but after actually trying it, it's just so different from what I expected.. like it's not nerdy at all.. it is intense fun!! :thumbsup:

5. Zume

I may as well toss in my two cents since nobody else has responded yet. I have been obsessed with Amtgard for going on 5 years now. I've worked on the weekends so have been unable to participate in any events or chapter meetings. This is directly from the Wikipedia entry on Amtgard - I hold no ownership over this information:

Amtgard sticks to mainly a historical or fantasy setting. And because of that, the character or "persona" your create and play as must fit within historically correct timelines of medieval combat (such as before 1600 AD) or fantasy.. such as lands of the elves, dwarves or other imaginary creatures like dragons. However, because of the rules regarding off-site contact I can not reveal my own persona or use it as an example. When in combat you become your persona. You respond to only that name and play as though you are that person living in the time you depict in your persona background story.

The weapons used for combat are quite the opposite of weapons many would think of as used in battle. They are not wood, metal or even latex recreations. The weapons used therein are completely padded.. normally pool noodle (funnoodle) on a PVC pipe core. When made correctly it is extremely safe and very fun. There are some weapons that are professionally made and are very sturdy and last a very long time. Weapons can range from Daggers to Short Swords, Long Swords, Bastard Swords, Claymores, One-Handed Axes, War Axes, Polearms, Hammers, Maces and all kinds of shields including Bucklers, Round Shields, Teardrop-style Shields and Tower Shields. All of which are so well padded that they can cause no real harm. This is most important because of another type of weaponry that is permitted. Archery - Bows and Arrows. Padded arrows. Sometimes Siege Equipment is also used. This includes Trebuchets, Ballistae and Catapults.

Battles in Amtgard can often wage across several areas. Some chapters hold inter-chapter battles. Some even go the extra mile and build walls that look like keep walls and make their own battlegrounds or alter them to fit their own needs.

A typical battle is known as a Ditch Battle. This is often recognised and carried out as the members of the chapter splitting off into two teams.. much like sports in school where the class would split up into two equal teams. They would then fight. Often times these battles take place 2 or 3 times.. sometimes more if everyone wants to keep going.

I will add more at a later time.. but this gives a basic understanding.

6. Sylver

I took some pics of the event.. it was a sunny day so the contrast was bad, but you get the idea..

Down on one knee because he took a hit to the leg..
    [​IMG]

You can pretty much hit full force with the padded weapons..
    [​IMG]

A idea of the garb they were wearing..
    [​IMG]

plus there's a couple more pics in my album for those who are interested ^_^