1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Read a good book recently?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Mikeyspoons, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Mikeyspoons

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I love reading and have recently read a lot of books. However, I only have a few left on my bookshelf that I have to read and once they've been read and put aside, then my paperback well is dry. So I'm starting this thread so people can recommend a book they've read recently or even a book you read ages ago, but really enjoyed. So just write the title and the author of the book and a brief description, including genre, to hook people into wanting to read your recommendation :icon_bigg

So I shall start the ball rolling =]

I have been reading the Harper Conelley Series of books by Charlaine Harris (also author of the Sookie Stackhouse/ Trueblood novels). It is a collection of 4 books (so far) and I am currently on the fourth. They are about Harper Conelley who travels across the US finding bodies with her supernatural power that she acquired after being hit by a bolt of lightening as a child. Although she is only paid to find bodies, her and her step-brother, Tolliver Lang, help to solve the murder.

I have enjoyed these books emmensly and would recommend them to anyone that enjoys reading. They are well written and pull you in from the beginning. =]

P.S. Sorry about my spelling =P

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have read two. First is Forever Princess by Meg Cabot, the last book of the Princess Diaries. And Glee: The Beginning, an original novel about before the show started. When Quinn and Finn first started dating, the fling with Puck and Quinn, when Rachel started liking Finn, how Glee was BEFORE the show and when Rachel joined it, everything :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. lostinthought9

I'm currently going through the Percy Jackson series. I'm on the second book. It's an easy read, plus I LOVE mythology.

4. jazzrawr

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan is AMAZING. I loved it to pieces. It's about two guys, both named Will Grayson - one of them is gay, and the other is straight with a very large and gay best friend named Tiny Cooper. And then they meet. It's fantastic.
    Actually, any book involving John Green is golden. Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns, An Abundance of Katherines - they're all very good.

5. kem

kem

lostingthought: You should read Homer's Odyssey. :slight_smile:

I love Dan Brown's books, Deception Point especially. I absorbed it in two days.

6. blankpaper

Very true! I read it in one sitting :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. MusicIsLife

This. I have only read Looking For Alaska and i'm halfway through An Abundance of Katherines so far, but John Green is amazing.

8. jodonnell825

jodonnell825 Guest

Honestly after years of knocking the twilight series, I finally picked it up and now I'm in love with it. Halfway finished with eclipse! Yay

9. Bario

Bario Guest

Poirot FTW. I really should get into reading it more though. I NEED to find out who killed Mrs Boynton dammit!
    Or anything by Terry Pratchett, Good Omens is probably my favourite.

10. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Day by Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile - J.L. Bourne

If like science fiction

11. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just finished the shittiest novel ever! Weight Loss by Upamanyu Chatterjee,.. Its not worth going through his novels again. I wonder what makes him so popular?

12. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

"The Lorax" by Dr. Seuss....

13. Emberstone

consider not buying breaking dawn AKA B.ig D.isappointment. It is rather grotesque, graphic, gorey, pedophillia-Glorifying, ghastly, and gross. Ran out of 'G's, but it also is vastly out of character, rambled worse than ever, and never really achieved anything but inducing mental vomiting.

Right now I am reading 'how the states got their shape', which is a non-fiction history book, and is somewhat interesting. It explores the geopolitical and cultural reasons for how the nation was divided, and how states joined the union.

I agree, percy jackson is a really good series. read all of the books multiple times.

His Dark Materials trilogy is really good also.

I loved micheal scott's 'secrets of the immortal nicholas flamel', which i think four of the six books have been released. They are a amalgamation of all the worlds mythological and historical legacies thrown together in a fast passed fantasy thriller.

Also, by the same author of percy jackson, rick riordan is doing a trilogy that is his egyption treatment. the first book, 'the Red Pyramid' is a good read. It has a similer point, which is a exploration of the gods of certian mythologies, this time egyption, but he was able to explore it in a way that didnt simply just repeat what he did in percy jackson.

the inkheart trilogy by cornelia funke is one I recommend, and really, any of her writing. I have never read one of her books I did not love. Dragonrider was really good.

Used to be obsessed with clive cussler, who writes adult thrillers, though havent read him in years; he is very prolific, but some of his later works have lost me. if you try him, i generally stick only to the dirk pitt novels, as the ones he collaborates on with others just never caught me, as it seemed they were weaker.

another adult author is Toni Morrison. loved loved loved her book paradise.

14. x2x2x2x2y2

The Catcher In The Rye. Love it so much.

---------- Post added 9th Sep 2010 at 07:31 PM ----------

^I've only read the first book, but I thought it was great. Can't wait to read the rest.

15. Emberstone

they really are good. the third one, the titans curse, was my favorate of the five. I don't fully know why, but if I did, I wouldnt say it here, cause I dont want to spoil the fun.

I just love how rick riordan can pack in so much mythology in this bang bang bang fashion. His books have a episodic structure to them, but it works so well, which is strange, because usually, non-linear books are fairly bumpy.

16. lostinthought9

[/QUOTE]they really are good. the third one, the titans curse, was my favorate of the five. I don't fully know why, but if I did, I wouldnt say it here, cause I dont want to spoil the fun.

I just love how rick riordan can pack in so much mythology in this bang bang bang fashion. His books have a episodic structure to them, but it works so well, which is strange, because usually, non-linear books are fairly bumpy.[/QUOTE]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, they're great. I just wish the movie would have followed the book more closely, and not have the acting so badly rushed. =/

Btw, I fucking LOVE Annabeth. :grin:

17. Emberstone

I think it would have been hard to follow the book really closely for the film adaptation of percy jackson. He has the ability of putting alot of detail into a book without making the book really long, or really heavy. I think even a half way proper adaptation without alot of changes would have been 3-4 hours at the very least.

I enjoyed it for what it was, and I think it was surprisingly coherent for a reworking of a book. It would have been nice for them to have used more from the book, but sometimes, less is more. I think it was a decent reimagination of a complicated story.

18. SwissBoy88

Eat, Pray, Love

Saw the movie with Julia Roberts. I think the book is even better. Can only recommend it!!

19. Jame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton

Great book im reading the 2nd one now.

20. haelmarie

The Bell Jar.

Loved if ofc.