1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What songs "take you back"???

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GoinStag, Aug 28, 2010.

1. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I don't think there's a thread like this already. But what songs kinda take you back. Whether they take you back to when you were a little kid or they remind you of high school or whatever. What songs bring bad memories or whatever for you???

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    anything from the 80's such great music

3. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

For me "In The End" by Linkin Park and "Always On Time" by Ja Rule bring me back to like 2nd grade. Or "Mrs.Jackson". My sisters used to love that song lol.

4. SlickyPants

I'd have to say maybe the Ghostbusters theme.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCHFVTQKqdQ[/YOUTUBE]

5. Yes. I am this lame. But goddamit it reminds me of elementary school and watching Snick over my friends house >_>

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tz2V3CIYA0 [/YOUTUBE]

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

"Still Unbroken" by Lynyrd Skynyrd takes me back to my first rock concert, because one of Shinedown's encore performances (they were the main attraction, and played at least four encores), was to cover that song. The first time I heard it afterward was by change on one of the Music Choice channels. I recognized it and closed my eyes, and it took me right back to the concert.

On a less happy note, "Fields of Innocence" by Evanescence takes me back to the darker times of my first year of college, when I was dealing with depression, because I listened to that song a lot during that time, and it's a very sad song, so I can always remember those feelings of hopelessness and futility when I listen to that song.

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Steps. I worshipped them when I was a kid, and still occasionally dance around to "5, 6, 7, 8" when I need a nostalgia hit.
    Also, "Bittersweet Symphony" was my graduation song, hilariously inappropriate as it was. That song basically encapsulates the biggest relief of my life, the incredible freedom of knowing I never had to go back to school again.

8. Eleanor Rigby

Il y a... I feel 16 again everytime I listen to this song.

(Don't mind the video, it was the only youtube link I have found for this song)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04COb48wneM[/YOUTUBE]

9. TriBi

What songs take me back?...

...at my age - a hell of a lot of them!

10. Allecto

Anything by Michelle Branch reminds me of being thirteen.

I still listen to her sometimes. :icon_redf

11. Pretty much anything by these artists:

Nelly
    TRUSTcompany
    Sum 41
    Vanessa Carlton
    B2K
    Eminem
    Old-school OutKast (still fucking awesome)
    Old-school Marilyn Manson (yeah, I was kinda emo)
    Evanescence
    Linkin Park (only Hybrid Theory)
    90's post-grunge bands that my folks liked (Silverchair, Bush, etc.)
    Blink-182
    Green Day (Insomniac, Nimrod, and Warning)
    Disturbed (yes, even their horrendous cover of Shout)

I don't really like a lot of these now that I'm older (mostly the R&B and nu-metal stuff), but I'll still listen to some Manson or Outkast every once in a while. Hell, I'll even listen to a couple of Blink-182's deep cuts every two or three months.

12. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Actually one of my earliest memories period, was me sitting on front of the sterio in my living room while "Don't Speak" by No Doubt was playing lol. Oh yeah and "Where Have All The Cowboys Gone" by Paula Cole that's another one I remember from when I was really, really little.

13. llenadepecas

S club 7. Cliche I know, but I love them. David gray's album life in slow motion reminds me of a holiday I took when I was 13. 5ive - keep on moving is my ultimate take-back song

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A ton of song have specific memories attached to them. But I'll tell you about a really weird one.

[youtube]Dkub0uMRX6Y[/youtube]

There's a really quiet breakdown in this song at around 2:35. Each time I hear it, I immediately flip back to a specific time and place.

I'm in the back seat of my parents' Ford Granada. I'm somewhere between seven and nine years old. We're coming home from a restaurant south of San Francisco. I keep thinking it's Pizza'n'Pipes or Farrell's Ice Cream Shop, both locations usually reserved for birthdays or celebrations. It's pitch dark outside, and none of us are talking. I don't even know if my brother's in the car with me, or if both my parents are in the car. I'm in a good mood, but it's very quiet kind of good mood. Almost a silent, eerie, otherworldly good mood. And everytime I hear that bit of the song, I instantly feel it again.

Here's the bit that doesn't make any sense.
    They tore down Pizza'n'Pipes in 1980.
    We moved away from San Francisco in 1981.
    ...and this song wasn't released until 1985.

I have no idea why the song taps that memory. Or even if it's a real memory.

Lex

15. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

That's neat. I get like that whenever I hear "Mrs. Jackson" by OutKast lol for mine I was also in the car and it was just me and 2 of my sisters waiting for my Mom in the car in front of some home schooling program gym place (I was home schooled 'till I was 8 ). I just remember that "I am for real, Never ment to make your daughter cry I apologize a trillion times" lol.

Btw, you were probably coming back from the Ice Cream place.

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2010 at 11:30 AM ----------

Shit I remember S Club 7. I don't remember what they sang though.

16. llenadepecas

how can you not remember??? s club party, reach, never had a dream come true?[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgu56ur7LIw[/YOUTUBE] :grin:

17. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CduA0TULnow&ob=av2n[/YOUTUBE]

When I was 13, I loved this song to death. Listening to it and the "Oops!...I Did It Again" album brings a smile to my face. Admittedly, age 13 was a rough year on me personally, but I'd rather remember the things that made me happy than the shit that made me sad. I can't help it, I still think it's good. A guilty pleasure, if you will. :icon_bigg

I loved pretty much all of the teen pop from the late 90's and early 2000. I think I was at the perfect age to love that stuff. They played all those songs at the middle school dances. I also used to listen to alot of oldies songs with my parents when I was a little kid, so I'll always have a special place in my heart for alot of the golden oldies from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's. And even though I always got the lyrics completely wrong, I LOVED this song:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJk9vWzBqc[/YOUTUBE]

18. Echo02

Echo02 Guest

Thesong that takes me back is, Suspicious Minds, by Elvis. My paper route manager just reurned fom Vietnam and we drove arround in his new Dodge Challenger smoking Swisher Sweet Cigars and throwing papers. (1971).

19. Shevanel

Every song I've ever listened to has memories attached. Some are trivial, like memories of the video games I played while listening to the specific songs/albums (Gears of War = Raconteurs, Wolfmother = Rainbow Six Vegas). But then there is a song like Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. I have two things attributed to that. One is that its one of the first songs I learned on the guitar back when I was 15 or 16 or so. That sorta signifies the start of the new Joey, a change I liked a lot. The 2nd thing is I remember reading on a guitar forum about how the used that song as the funeral song for their father, because Pink Floyd was their favorite band. Just the thought of that made me cry, especially combined with the thought of my own father's future death, since he introduced me to Pink Floyd.

So yeah. Just some examples.

20. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    A lot of Coldplay songs from A Rush of Blood to the Head bring back memories of my incredibly awkward, angsty middle school years. xD They're not exactly the greatest memories, but they're still part of me.

Come to think of it, a lot of my memories are connected to Coldplay songs.... The song Trouble reminds me of a certain thing that happened in the past, and I can't even listen to Everything's Not Lost without breaking down crying--that song happened to be playing when one of my worst memories happened, so I can't listen to it without feeling that pain again (which is somewhat ironic, because that's actually a really optimistic song, but I digress).

On a happier note.... You & Me by Dave Matthews Band hugely reminds me of my 17th birthday, which was also the day my girlfriend and I became an "official" couple. It just happened to be playing on the radio. It still makes me smile whenever I hear it. <3

I can't really think of any others right now, although I'm sure there are some. xD

#20 Katherine, Aug 29, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010