1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Idol At Its Last Leg?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Revan, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you guys think? Do you think Idol's about to end soon? I mean let's face it, it has only given us only so many great stars. What's more, the judges are all leaving. First Paula last year which wasn't THAT big a deal. But Simon then left, Ellen left at the end of July, and now Kara just announced yesterday that she's done too. Randy Jackson is now the only judge remaining and I just feel Idol's on its last leg.

2. Blondie

Blondie Guest

I hope so I think it sucks with the way they have treated the lgbt folks

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now now, we can't just hate them for that...after all Adam Lambert still became a bigger star than Kris. So *pats*

4. Blondie

Blondie Guest

I my book one good turn deserves another they hates gays i hate them

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol.We sure they hate gays? I mean AI sure, but PI nope (Pop Idol, the UK one). Their first Idol was openly gay. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. BeautifulStranger

They don't hate the gays... That's just the entertainment industry.

They want people to want their product, in this case the AI contestant. The best way to do that is to make their product "available" (for lack of a better word) to the largest demographic possible (aka the ones that spend the most money).
    That demographic would be women and gay men.

So, they make their product more appealing to women by making them think that they have a shot. Gay men will fantasize about him, gay or straight.

I guess the biggest example I can come up with is Adam Lambert versus Jay Brannan.

Over the course of the show, Adam Lambert was closeted. His fan base now is middle aged women, gay men and women who want to date gay men.
    Jay Brannan has been openly gay his entire career and he's no where near as famous. His concert audience is a modest (45 or so...) crowd comprised of gay men and a lesbian or two.

Now, I'm not saying one is more successful than the other. After all, everyone has their own definition of success. However, according to Hollywood standards, Adam won this one.

7. Eric

I won't comment on the homophobia at Idol, but I will say this: it's got two years left. Ellen was canned because she just didn't mesh with the other judges. Kara's contract is over and she wasn't likeable. Randy's contract is up at the end of the upcoming season and I guarantee it won't be renewed unless he has like amazing chemistry with Steven Tyler, new judge #2 and new judge #3. I think their big mistake was letting Paula walk because everything seemed to go to shit after that.

8. x2x2x2x2y2

Idol sucks. It's boring now and unless a miracle happens, it will probably be cancelled soon.

9. frostreaver

It's definitely on its last leg. They won't find another Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood even with the change in judges.

But then again, its still the most watched show in America (along with Dancing with the D-list), until it loses that title, I expect to see it on TV.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very True. Actually I hear that Jennifer Lopez may be one of the new judges. At least they'll be getting an actual music artist to be on the panel (excluding the guest judges in past years, Paula doesn't count anymore)

11. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I thought they were bringing over X Factor to the US? Thats how pop idol was dropped over here.

12. Airplanes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    With Simon gone, the show will flop.
    Its been going downhill for a while actually, but I believe now its reached rock-bottom. xD
    *toliet flush in the background*

13. AlyssWonderland

And me. :grin:

Anyway, I sure hope Idol is ending. Its pretty much selling your soul to them... I know a guy who looked into auditioning and part of the deal getting through was not being able to audition for other shows for a while (I forget how long) and very little creative rights for the record deal through them... Not worth it. I can't wait for the show to be done, I hate it, its so fake.

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well yeah. You also had to screen the song you wanted to sing, and that took several days. Lisa Tucker from Season 5 went through song after song after song trying to find one because each time she was told she couldn't sing that song due to licensing. And don't forget David Archuleta's dad once had him add in a line from another song to make it better (which it did make it better) and basically Idol banned him from backstage because they had to go through legal shit following that.

15. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    I hope it ends. some shows have a certain shelf life. I believe that American Idol should stop now, while it's still kinda straining for life.

16. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Canadian Idol ended last year. I mean TECHNICALLY they said it was due to the financial downturn...yet no auditions happened this year so I think it's done.

17. Omg, I actually think Americas Next Top Model will last for more years than American Idol...which is actually a very scary/funny thought to me xD

18. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I'll give it a season or 2.

19. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

I stopped watching in Season 2.

20. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've realized that pretty much nothing can get me to watch this show anymore. Nothing. Haven't watched a season in full since s2. Ellen, one of my favorite people ever was a judge, and even knowing THAT couldn't get me to watch. Like, it's hopeless and a lost cause for me. It's like the interest just drained.