1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The A-List

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Beachboi92, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Beachboi92

Anyone else watch it? It is the first reality drama like show that i have sort of gotten into xD
    As of tonights episode i've decided that Reichans Brazilian BF is my new favorite as he is just so innocent and adorable xD followed by Austin and Reichan and that Derrek has definitely hit a spot as my least favorite. He is just such a drama filled bitchy queen, and is way to up on his high horse.

Im still working to remember names but i have been able to get into this and never have with any other reality tv show thing :x

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *Raises hand* I watch it!

I generally shy away from drama-filled-bitchfest-type tv shows, but this one promised too many hotties to resist. :lol: Rodiney is super-sexy, and I love Mike too!

3. Miss Bubbles

I haven't seen it yet but i really really want to!

4. Emberstone

isent richen the one who was dating lance bass, then dumped him, thinking he was a bigger celebrity than lance bass was, and discovered he really only had celebrity because he was dating lance bass? Then, he went out of his way to do anything to keep himself in the news?

The show looks like "Gay stereotypes-r-us."

5. Zach1992

Yeah no thanks. I don't feel the need to watch our stereotypes parade around NYC.

6. Beachboi92

im not even going to go far into how i feel about stereotypes and people aversion to anyone who might fit them. Frankly i find it counterproductive and ignorant that people would judge someone fitting a stereotype as bad purely because they fit a stereotype, especially within our own community. Some people are more feminine get over it they don't deserve to be treated as less or be told they are not as good as any other person.

It is unfair that people attempt to judge an entire group of people based on how one of them acts. It is not right that people try to put that sort of pressure on LGBT people that they somehow speak for the entirety of us in their words and actions. You don't see it happen to straight people, none of them are used to represent the entirety of the straight population but one gay guy says fabulous and people are annoyed like that person being themselves is somehow wrong.

You don't end stereotypes by telling people to change who they are, you end them by making people realize that all they are is stereotypes. Girls doing this sort of show is apparently fine but a guy does it and there is something wrong?

I'm relatively masculine and i prefer guys who are but i'll be damned if im gonna let people tell me being feminine is a bad thing. Get the fuck over it.

7. Emberstone

from the previews i have seen, I have not seen a single person on the show who doesnt fit the most flamboyant of gay stereotypes.

I have seen no evidence of a wide spectrum, because the show has not presented itself as having a spectrum.

This is also not just about the stereotypes. the show is advertised by the incredibly overdrawn shallowness of its cast.

there is a line that is drawn where you CAN judge a book by its cover.

all the commercials and features I have seen about this show takes the most vitrolic gay stereotypes, hypes them on crystal meth and steroids so that they are the most exagerated forms of said stereotypes, and basically justifies all the homophobics usage of those stereotypes.

Do we really need more shallow, vapid, self-absorbed, vain, overdramatic stereotypes?

I know many effeminante guys, and many butch woman... but the cast of the A-list just are so over the top that it is like they are trying to outbitch each other. every preview makes me sick to my stomach, because it is all a act.

8. Beachboi92

i've actually watched the show, there are 3 of them very opposite of the stereotypes and 3 of them more fitting, you have made a lot of assumptions, and sweeping generalizations without even taking time to know anything about the cast or watch the show. The previews only feature commentary from 2 of the more dramatic cast members, 1 of which is a bitch if i've ever seen one.

The basis of the gay stereotype is the idea that being effeminate or having other characteristics that are stereotypical of women is bad or "gay." By "Gay" i mean the way it is used to express something being attributable to homosexual people while carrying a negative connotation. So when people act like a stereotypical gay guy is bad it is because they think femininity in men is bad or they are so worried that they will get grouped into the LGBT community by anything other than their own definition that they put up some big front of "oh im not effeminate at all, im totally straight acting and that makes me better," when really all people have their feminine and masculine characteristics. Some people simply express themselves in a more effeminate way.

Nothing, and i mean NOTHING justifies usage of stereotypes by anyone in order to judge people, and the idea of the "gay stereotype" being bad is simply the continued idea that feminine characteristics in men, or masculine ones in women (i think we see that viwed as bad less since women's rights) are bad. For someone within the LGBT community to turn around and even hint at the idea that it is at all justifiable surprises me.

Look at it this way. People stereotype race, my mom works with a large amount of black people and when they aren't working or being lazy she goes "those damn black people don't wanna work, they are all so lazy." My response "No those PEOPLE are lazy it has nothing to do with their skin color, they do not represent the entirety of the race and it is ignorant to try and justify that." My mom responds with "Oh well maybe if they where not so lazy i wouldn't think black people are because they should be representing their race better." My response "It is not their job to represent their race, they deserved to be treated the same as everyone else. When you see a lazy white person they don't represent white people now do they, they are simply a regular lazy person."

Now replace race with sexual orientation (black=gay, white=straight), and lazy with effeminate. The problem you should have is with people who act like they can stereotype us based on what they see on a TV show, not the people who fit the stereotype and get cast onto it. Tell the right people to change.

If we as a community turn on each other via treating the people we view as "over the top" as bad because we think they reflect bad on us, or by telling Bisexual people that they are not Bi but gay or straight, or by treating them by the Bi-sexual stereotype that they are promiscuous than we are no better than the ignorant people who stand their and call us faggots; people who call us faggots Why? because we sleep with people of the same sex, because we break that gender norm.

It surprises me, having been on the receiving end of the backlash for breaking a gender norm, that any LGBT person can hate on someone for further breaking a gender norm. Let me remind you that it is those "stereotypical,""over the top" people that made the first stand during the stonewall riots, the drag queens and the people who never had a choice over wether they would be viewed as straight or gay. Those people that in many cases stand up to fight for our rights. All of the "normal" gay people have such a problem with the "eccentric" ones and yet will never go to a pride parade, or be seen in public with rainbow attire, essentially shielding themselves from having to represent our community because they are afraid to, or because it makes them uncomfortable. Yet they have no problem putting that pressure on the people who can't help but be stereotyped into the group of "gay."

I've been watching the show, i don't like the guy who thinks he is the shit and better than everyone else, the one who starts all the drama.*cough cough* AS A PERSON I DON'T LIKE HOW HE IS REGARDLESS OF SEXUAL ORIENTATION, I DONT GROUP THE TWO SETS OF CHARACTERISTICS TOGETHER BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE IGNORANT OF ME TO MAKE SUCH A SWEEPING GENERALIZATION *cough cough*

If you have a problem with the cast because you think they are shallow or self absorbed as a whole (even without having watched the show) then thats one thing. But to say it is bad because they have a "gay stereotype" is simply ignorant and frankly insulting to any effeminate person gay or straight because all it does is infer that what they are is not ok (refer back to my commentary on what the gay stereotype stems from, breaking gender norms and such).

Really i am not trying to speak as much on the show as i am on gay stereotypes being viewed as bad. If your gonna have a problem with stereotypes take it up with the people that use them, or think they are right, not the people who happen to fit them but in actuality make up no larger a percentage of the group than anyone else.

If you simply have a problem with the show because you think it has a cast of shallow people or something of that nature then fine. But to attribute someone fitting a gay stereotype as being bad is stupid, and no one confident in their self expression is going to bash on it, just how no one comfortable with their sexuality is going to freak out on gay people.

/end rant

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2010 at 07:16 PM ----------

sort of i just thought i would re-iterate it is not my fucking job to represent the LGBT community as a whole, i am going to be who i am because that is who i am comfortable with regardless of how "stereotypical," if at all, that is.