1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proof that pop music just SOUNDS THE SAME

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Helen, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Helen

Helen Guest

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M56YO-Wg0Nc&feature=sub[/YOUTUBE]

Thoughts? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Now not all pop music can go under this damned category of SOUNDING THE BLOODY SAME, but can one deny that it happens all too often in this industry nowadays? -_-

2. Crypt

Agreed. A lot of mainstream pop songs sound the same to me, then again I mainly listen to trance and rock lol.

3. crimsonarcher

I remember when Kelly Clarkson's "Already Gone" sounded a bit like Beyonce's "Halo".

4. Shevanel

It may be just me, but I always felt like Beyonce's "Halo" and Jordin Sparks' "Battlefield" could be interchanged easily. I had to listen to both songs often at my uncle's old shop at the flea market last year... xD

5. Kirakishou

It did, Kelly Clarkson even bitched out Ryan Tedder for it.

6. Totoro

7. partietraumatic

The reason so much modern pop music sounds the same is because producers, record companies aren't stupid. They know what sells. They know the majority of music purchasers don't want edgy, creative, new music. Hence the proliferation of songs which sounds the same, and are guaranteed to sell loads.

I feel its a natural cycle of the music industry, and popular art in general. Something successful spawns increasing numbers of copies, until something new comes along, and the process restarts.

Personally, I'm hoping that this current phase will be over soon :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Helen

Helen Guest

^ And that is what I find really sad. The funny thing is, it's always been this way. When Stravinsky's Rite of Spring was first introduced to the public, people actually fainted with horror and had riots in the streets and all sorts of things. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And back when Beethoven was doing radical new things and bridging the gap between classical and romantic, he was pretty ridiculed as well; everyone thought he was just going a bit bonkers since he'd gone deaf.

It's the natural progression of any kind of "art", at the time of conception it will nearly always be considered either far too radical for public eyes/ears, or will be seen as new and cheap and nowhere near as good as "older stuff". So something like Strauss' epic polkas and waltzes were probably the "easy listening" of their day. Thus, years and years into the future, Lady Gaga and Katy Perry might be considered the Mozarts of the 2000s. XD

9. djt820

It's a formula for success so why would they drop it? Simple minds will buy the simple music.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The gym I go to was playing this godawful mix of house music for about the last month, and I was so completely disgusted by it.

Nearly every tune was so auto-tuned that you had no idea what the actual person's voice sounded like, they all sounded the same.

The handful of people who weren't auto-tuned couldn't fucking stay on pitch. Maybe they were trying to argue it was "stylistic" but sorry, it was just lack of talent and competence.

And all the music sounded the same, was obnoxious. I swear every song sounded like the record had a skip in it and was repeating the same phrase over and over.

Fortunately, enough people must have bitched about how awful it was because they recently changed it to an oldies mix. Everyone I've talked to there, including the staff, is much happier with the new music selection.

I think it's regression to the mean. The producers are producing the most generic, uninteresting crap because they know people will buy it.

11. Paper Heart

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdVurJFMDUI[/youtube]

12. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

That's very..I don't particularly know the word that describes it.

Let's just go with ignorant.

That's very ignorant to say that everyone who likes a certain kind of music is "simple."

By that logic, all people who listen to country are hicks, all people who listen to rap are black, and all people who listen to pop music are gay.

Of course, you could just mean what you said in a sarcastic way, to which I say nevermind. ^-^

13. djt820

That isn't ignorant of me at all.

14. Paper Heart

It is actually. Just because someone buys music of a "simple" format does not make them simple; I have Mozart just below Madonna on my ipod. I listen to Ke$ha, but for the simplicity of it. Not all music needs to be heavy on emotion. To each their own.

15. djt820

You obviously take "simple" as a negative connotation and that's your fault. I'm not making a ignorant comment and that's your ignorance taking my statements out of context.

16. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I believe the backer of the track was the same one from Halo and used the same one and then it was released I think before Kelly got to hear the final copy and by then it was getting hits so she said fine but she was quite pissed.

17. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Um, I've never encountered anyone in my life who used the word "simple" to describe someone in a positive way.

I'm pretty sure that's not a positive description of someone, in any way.

18. djt820

Its more of a neutral word. Simple music for simple people in normal everyday life. Someone who is not in depth with the arts like I or others might be perhaps. Pop music is simple, its usually catchy, and its made to make money. I will admit there is Pop music that exists for more than money and is a complex form of expression in it's own right, like perhaps older pop artists like Michael Jackson or the Beach Boys but in today's world, the music sounds the same to attract the same people for a reason; for money, not the expression of one's artistic abilities, in my humble opinion.

19. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I still don't see how simple, which means not complex or complicated, is a synonym for average, much like how I don't see how gay is a synonym for stupid.

I just think that's the definition you gave it. We all have words that we use in a special way, that isn't the normal or average..or should I say..the simple way of saying it.

20. djt820

Now you're just playing word wars and that's silly. Go with whatever definition you want for the word. It's a childish way of looking at my argument. Also, note that I used the word "complex" in my argument and not the word "average".