1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Books

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Beertruck, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Beertruck

BOOOKS! Hardcovers! Softcovers! E-Readers! Pamplets! Fiction! Nonfiction! Literature! What was the last one you read and enjoyed? What are some of your all time favorites?

Personally, I've been obsessed with Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart. It's basically a pitch perfect satire about living in New York (and, by extension, American youth culture) and I'd highly recommended it to anyone looking for a good read and doesn't mind excessive use use of chatspeak.

Also it has a hilarious book trailer.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfzuOu4UIOU[/YOUTUBE]

#1 Beertruck, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. Shevanel

Shutter Island
    The Entire Hitchhiker's Guide series
    Misery
    The Hot Zone

Those are my favorites.

Currently reading a book called "We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families" by Philip Gourevitch. About the Rwandan Genocide.

3. Beertruck

Misery is a great book. Seriously. Stephen King popped my adult-book-cherry so there was a long period where he was all I read. Most of them have since been put in storage so I could have room on my bookshelf for other things, but Misery is among the few that are allowed to stay. That and The Stand and Salem's Lot.

Hitchhiker's I'm more or less meh about. I'm not really a fan of that kind of absurdist British humor (hence my similar mehness about Terry Pratchett and Monty Python)

Haven't read the other ones (saw the Shutter Island movie though) but they sound real interesting!

4. Shevanel

I can't believe one could be meh about Monty Python =O But oh well. xD

The Shutter Island film was good, but disappointing to me, especially since it was Scorsese directing and he had all these great actors and beautiful cinematography. It just didn't have the ... sense of insanity that the book did. At least to me it didn't. But that's why I love the book so much more.

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston is a nonfiction book about Ebola, and specifically a small outbreak in DC. The way it is written however makes it rather exciting and horrifying. It's very good.

5. Beertruck

I know. The way people react to it, it's like I'm the only person in the world who could take or leave Monty Python. :lol:

Yeah, I was actually reading the Wikipedia description of The Hot Zone! Sounds really intense. Might get it next.

6. MusicIsLife

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was the last book I read :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but to name some authors I adore:

J.R.R. Tolkien, JK Rowling, John Green, Alex Sanchez, Stephen King, Stephen Chbosky, Anne Rice, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Darren Shan, Sarah Waters, Douglas Adams, Annette Kurtis Klause, etc etc.

I also really love the "... and Philosophy" series. Its these books that talk about pop culture things and philosophy. Example: "The Legend of Zelda and Philosophy", "Final Fantasy and Philosophy", "Manga and Philosophy", etc. theres even harry potter, t**light, watchmen, house, battlestar galactica, etc.

7. Connor22

Harry Potter, Alex Rider (last one was pretty dire though) EVE online, Halo, Metro 2033, Darren Shan, Artemis Fowl, The Bible, Small Minded Giants (I am pining for a sequel)

8. Shevanel

MUST. BUY. BSG. ONE.

xD
    Also, I really enjoyed the Halo novels too xD And the novelizations and spin offs of the Predator and subsequently Alien series. They're pretty fun. And I'm a big dork. I know. xD OH And there was a pretty awesome Splinter Cell book that I might've read when I was 14 or so. There was quite a graphic sex scene in that (in at least one of the Alien books too xD) and for my age I was quite surprised xD

#8 Shevanel, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  9. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    The last book I've read was the 11th book of The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Talk about a long winded series. Still I'm hooked, and I don't want to stop until I've got the last one behind me.

10. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Last book I read was Catcher in the Rye. It was good.

My favorite books are:

Night
    Lovely Bones
    Anthem
    Ender's Game

Anthem probably the best one out of those.

It's a story of a society, hundreds of years in the future that is completely communist. Any singular pronouns have been abolished (saying the word "I" or "Ego (Latin for I)" will get you killed) and the society is ran by a council. This council controls everything from breeding to intelligence. They intentionally put the stupid people in jobs such as scientists (In the book, the Candle was just re-invented) and the smart people in jobs such as street cleaners. Then by the end, the main character and his lover find books from the old era and vow to restore the free age.

11. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

The last book I read was "The lovely bones"

My favorites are:
    The shining
    El psicoanlista
    Chronicles of Narnia: La travesia del viajero del alba (I dont remeber how to say it in english)
    Lovely bones
    Hannibal (What I´ve read. I never finished it because of external factors but soon I will)

12. Vivi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm half way through the first book but i'm finding it hard to really get into. I take it you'd recommend sticking with it?

13. Emberstone

I was glad I didnt jump on the lovely bones hype. everyone in my writing group says the book is only worth the first half, then the author starts writing like they lost heart and soul in the second half, or just lost interest in the plot, and start doing irrational things without explenation. the characters start not doing the obvious, and start doing the irrational. It seemed like a good concept... the author just did not know how to make it work without resorting to cliches and cop outs.

14. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just finished Jane Eyre. It's pretty good. Surprising really, given when it was published.

Anything by george orwell is worth reading.

And for fiction, try Stephen Donaldson. The chronicles of thomas covenant has been one of my favourites since i was about 16.

15. mischa91

I'm reading the girl who played with fire right now, it's pretty good.

My favourites:

Pride & Prejudice (well anything by Jane Austin, i spent the summer re-reading all her novels)
    Harry Potter, i think my favourite is the prisoner of azkaban.
    Lord of the rings
    and most things by E. A Poe
    there are probably others but my mind is somewhat blank right now.

I'm almost a quarter way through war & peace and i will finish it some day.

16. KnightAssassin

clive barker's Mr. B. Gone it has great gay undertones
    alex sanchez's rainbow boys series

17. Emberstone

right now I am reading Aneid by Virgil, and The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan.

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a total nonfiction geek.

Three that I have recently read that really impressed me:

"Just Listen" which is an amazing book about communication

"Handbook for the Heart" which is a collection of really powerful essays on connecting with people, emotionally and spiritually.

"The Cheating Culture" which is about all aspects of dishonesty and lack of integrity in American society, the root causes, how it affects things, and what can be done about it.

19. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I just finished Pride and Prejudice. Jane Austen is amazing, and this is certainly her best work. Mansfield Park is also really good.

Besides that, I grew up with and love Harry Potter.

20. Happy Vampire

I love the Harry Potter series, the Anita Blake series, the Sookie Stackhouse series, the Merry Gentry series. I love books that are series a lot more than just single books. Allows you to get to know the characters more