1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dislikers of music?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Owen, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I listen to music a lot, and I know a lot of my friends do too, so it surprised when I would go on facebook and see some people declare their like for music in their interests box, since I always assumed the love of music was universal. But then it hit me; might there be some people who don't enjoy listening music? Might there be some people who have no answer to give when asked what their favorite song or band is? Might there be some people who watch people going down the street which headphones on with perplexed looks? Might there be some people who just don't "get" why everyone else seems to like music so much? In short, are there people who just don't like music?

2. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I think people who don't enjoy any kind of music have some sort of social disorder. You know, similar to that when people like something, find out other people like it, and stop liking it just for that reason. It's still the same. You're just so conceited that you have to feel special in every single way.

So, that's my two cents on people who don't like music. They like it, they just lie for attention and are so conceited they need to feel special as much as possible to boost their ego and feeling of superiority.

3. haelmarie

Or maybe they just don't like music.

I can understand not liking a certain type of entertainment because I find most movies and TV shows to be unbearable to watch. Some people don't like reading books or visual art.

Whatever tickles your pickle.

4. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, me. I don't dislike music though.

5. Darkwing65

6. AlyssWonderland

My cousin doesn't listen to music other than what her parents have on the radio on the way home from school. So she has about five minutes of music a day. I could bring up the most overplayed pop song out right now, and she'll have never heard of it. She's not allowed on Youtube, and she doesn't have an mp3. Everytime I see her I pretty much force her to listen to some of my music, and she likes it, but she makes no attempt to get music on her computer or listen to it on her own time... I don't even understand how thats possible, I am way too obsessed with music to think of that.

7. Beertruck

There was a period in my life, from about age 12 to age 16, which i just didn't listen to music. Not "didn't listen to modern music," music was just not part of my life. Looking back it seems very bizarre - there was a huge gap between me listening to Smash Mouth's Astro Lounge and my parents getting me a copy of Abbey Road for Christmas (out of pity, I think).

So yes, I totally get where you're coming from.

8. Nodnarb

For the longest time I didn't give a crap about music. Didn't have a favorite song or artist/band, and didn't really know anything outside what my parents listened to. It was probably around the start of high school that I started to like certain music and certain bands. Getting my own car where I could decide what radio station to have on helped. Now I can't even imagine what my life was like before I listened to music.

9. peaceandlies

*blinks*

I didn't realize this was possible.

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Wow, you seem to know a lot about this sort of thing! ... xD

Anyway, I did have a part of my life where I really didn't care about music. That is when it comes to having a favorite band or song or w/e. The only reason I listened to music was when I was with friends. Any other time I would be either watching tv or reading so I didn't needed it or wanted it.

I think its hard to say you don't like music because everyone enjoys noise and pretty noise is the best? I don't really know. All I know is that I didn't care about music until very recently.

11. Shevanel

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghBJGCiZwmo[/YOUTUBE]

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't tell Billy Preston this.

[​IMG]

Lex

13. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I like music. I don't care about music though. And I've never been one to sit down and listen to music without doing anything else. When people say, "Hey! Listen to this great song I heard." I just get bored unless I'm doing something else at the same time. Concerts don't hold an appeal for me and the only time I listen to music regularly is one my way to and from school. Music has never been that important to me, but it doesn't mean I hate it or anything. It's not just not a main interest of mine. Coincidentally, because I don't care so much about music, I find it easy to enjoy listening to most types.

14. midwestblues

I refuse to believe that anyone could dislike music, the most pleasurable stimulus available to the auditory system.

15. Darkwing65

I'm going to have to second this.

16. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I couldn't live without music. I'm so obsessed with music it's sick lol. I listen to every and any genre of music. I love it all.

17. Stuie

Music is a MASSIVE part of my life to the point of if I didn't do music, my weekends would be completely free for most of the year. I can't actually do much else when listening to music as it affects me that much and tends to push antthing else out of my head at the time. I can also get the whole body tingling sensation from music. Like right now from this Beethoven symphony. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The neuroscience of music is really interesting actually. A fantastic book on that is Musicophilia, so if you ever get to read that, do! It affects our brains at a rather primitive level which is interesting, but it affects people differently. I get a massive kick out of classical music, but a lot of people don't. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    *ends rambling* This is exactly what happens when I try to write listening to music. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with some of the people here that for the longest time, probably until 15-16 I didn't care for music, maybe to the point of even disliking it. I had no knowledge of it and people thought it was weird. I listen to some now, but now extremely often. I have difficulty multitasking and I can't listen to music really if I'm trying to do something else. The only time I listen to it is in the car usually.

19. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

3rd

20. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i am fanatical about music and it is probably my major passion in life, besides science.

i have only met one person ever who professed to have no liking whatsoever for music. He also happens to be a very very odd fellow, very quiet, prone to absolutely explode in peoples' faces for no reason... so he doesn't have so many friends. I think his dislike of music comes more from his unusual personality than anything else.

[edit]

however i wouldn't call it the most pleasurable auditory stimulus... not for everyone. I'm a synaesthesiac and the pleasure i experience from certain non-musical sounds is close to ecstatic