1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prayers for Bobby

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by mandarof, Dec 9, 2010.

1. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What did others think of this? I don't think anyone gay/lesbian should go another day without seeing this film. Dare I say it's the impost important movie in my life to date. The production values validate everything they say--it's a personal thing of mine. I basically never cry during movies but I was balling for over half the film. I've already watched it roughly a dozen times and I only saw it for the first time less than a week ago. That's right, a dozen times...plus a ton of bits and pieces when I need it.

Way too many parallels to my own life to count and the quotes I take away are chilling.

Thank you to everyone who put the masterpiece together--of course the true story part too.

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I thought it was a really good movie too. I enjoyed watching it a lot.

But why did you post this in the health and well being section? :lol:

3. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes this movie made me cry too, and I practically never cry in movies. What an amazing film.

4. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for moving the thread. This is better spot...it helps with health and well being to hear the story. Yea, I basically rarely cry in films too but this was a major exception. My coming out would not, on any planet, have been half as possible without this film. It was the emotional screaming that I needed. I needed the emotional beating to come to terms.

5. Miss Bubbles

I watched this movie with my mother and father. My ma made my dad sit and watch it with us so he could understand. And lets just say he doesn't complain as much as he used to. i cried for the second half and when my brother saw it he kinda got teary eyed but didn't cry. he wont in font of people.

6. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I plan to watch it with my family when I come out in the next few weeks. I cannot express how grateful I am that:

1. This tragic story was recorded.
    2. The story was recognized.
    3. The movie was cast / produced so well.
    4. The movie was made.
    5. I discovered it and watched it at the PERFECT possible time in my life.

I remember hearing about the film somewhere way before when I didn't plan on coming out...like a million movies/songs/etc. I hear I never got around to watching it. Then a YT video I watched referenced it. The rest is history.

#1 favorite movie in every way possible right now.

7. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This was a great movie. I personally put it in my Top 25 favorites list, easily. I saw it for the first time in January, and it made me cry alot. I've only been able to watch it once more since then, because it's just so sad. It is a wonderful, emotionally powerful film.

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Prayers for Bobby, I'll have to check it out.

9. Bernard1992

Was an awesome movie, most definitely one of my favourite homosexually related films

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I ordered it on iTunes so I have it permanently. It's one of my all-time faves.

11. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I love this movie. It's fantastic.

12. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I hated it. Sure, the message was nice, but script and acting were retch worthy in my opinion. So soap opera esque. And Bobby is robotic in his delivery of all his lines. And the editing is just weird in some bits. Choppy. It was such a disappointment when I first saw it. I actually never finished the film because I was so distracted by the acting...

13. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could not disagree more with all your negative comments. BUT, I think I'm in need of liking this more than you. I have done some editing and work in technology and the editing blows me away. It feels much more "hip" to bring it into today rather than so long ago. The cast stunningly takes my breath away. I have watched it a dozen times and it's been a week since I found it. I am so thrilled about this movie I want to explode (seriously). It is a magnificent work of art that, quite frankly, I was going to come out before I found this several hours before actually coming out, but actually finding it might be what made me able to do it.

That's my experience...and I hope to get a ton of family watching it. I mean it is my life in a fricken nutshell! The crazy thing is how many parallels there are to my own life, so many that I won't bother listing but it is mine. It is beautiful.

14. maverick

I have to say, I feel you on the Prayers for Bobby thing, because I just watched that flick the other day and I was raised exactly like that, up to and including a plan when I was younger to throw myself off a local bridge, so it really hit a nerve. I could have been watching my own parents grieve after my death.

It was also interesting because it allowed me and my roommate to talk about suicide openly. He has never known I was suicidal until recently (I proofed my coming out letter through him) and when we watched this movie I commented, "I could never throw myself off an overpass like that, what if I killed someone else?" and he replied, "I don't know, I never thought about it like that. I've never really seriously considered offing myself."

Which really surprised me, because I have thought of killing myself so frequently over the last ten years that I didn't consider it an abnormal thought pattern at all, just one I typically keep to myself. I mean, that's awesome that my friend has never thought of committing suicide, and I'd bring him back just to kill him again if he tried, but I have just always gone around assuming it has crossed everyone's mind from time to time...at least in the hypothetical...

15. Dare2bProud

I read the book but yet to see the movie.

16. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I have this really deep inner feeling that you're whole reason for hating it is that A: you don't know a good movie, and B: you don't like the actors inertly. Plain and simple.

17. Shevanel

Okay, 1. There is absolutely zero need for this type of response towards someone else's opinion of a film. 2. It's her opinion. If she doesn't like the movie, that's her problem. I personally haven't seen it, so I cannot comment on how I feel about it, but just because she doesn't like it mean you can tell her that she "don't know a good movie". I'm sure Corina does. People don't have to like every film out there that wins awards and stuff, for instance, I'm a huge huge huge film buff, and a film student, but I greatly dislike the film Brokeback Mountain (which brings me to a notion that just because it may be a LGBT related film doesn't mean every LGBT person has to like it. This happened to me with Get Real, so many people have recommended it to me, but I literally turned it off within 30 minutes because of the crappyness of the film, and sadly, most LGBT themed films are rather crappy, but of course there are great ones too).

As for the actors thing, still, that's her opinion. She's allowed to dislike actors. And some actors just plain can't act well. I'm sure Sigourney Weaver does a wonderful job in this film, not only because she was nominated and won a few awards for this particular film, but because she's an all around solid actress. She's probably the only reason I'm going to give this film a go one day. But I'm not expecting much from the other actors. And they CAN be an excruciating detriment in a film. Just because 1 good actress may be in a film doesn't mean she can save it.

So seriously. People have different opinions. Live with it.

18. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

A) Calling my taste in movies into question doesn't really change whether or not the movie is good. A person who loved the Legally Blonde sequels can still love The Godfather, so not relevant.

B) Inertly? Let's look up that definition shall we?
    None of those definitions make sense in the context in which you used it.

Now as for the actors, I did not think they did a good job. Sorry, but the stiff acting distracted me from the true message of the movie. Of course, an actor can only do so much without good direction, something this movie lacked as well.

I'm not some horrible person because I don't like the movie. I don't want to debate it because this is a difference of opinion. :dry:

19. midwestblues

[​IMG]

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    -_- I'm sorry but anyone who disrespects Prayers for Bobby doesn't have any real worthy opinion. And that's MY opinion. And midwestblues, the fact you use a Mean Girls image really shows how mature you are, given it's a wonderful movie, but still real mature.