1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone recomend any good books?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Ciel, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Ciel

Ciel Guest

I need to find some book that would interest me for English class. Like right now I really hate the book I'm reading because I don't really get it, and its kind of boring so I've read about 30 pages since school started in August. -_-
    A problem is I don't really know what kind of books I would like...a book that I can think of that I did like before was Memoirs of a Geisha but thats about it.
    I'm kind of looking into this book Parasite Eve but haven't really heard anything about it.

So ya, basically what books have you enjoyed reading? (I guess supposed to be 11th grade reading level too...;_:wink:

2. Rette

Well, my favourite book that I ever did for English was All Quiet on the Western Front, by Erich Maria Remarque. It's an absolutely incredible book, not too long, and not too hard of a read.

3. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anne Rice. Interview with the Vampire.

4. Ciel

Ciel Guest

I was thinking about reading that actually.

5. Zaurak

The Power of One and the Kyte Runner are both amazing books that I read over the summer, I really recomend them.

6. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ...my all-time favorite book is not high-school appropriate. Six hundred twenty-six pages long. Pure genuis. Deals with child kidnapping, prostitution, obsessive love, corrupt cops, but if you would like to read it as an alleviator to boredom it's called Seven Types of Ambiguity and it's by Elliot Perlman. Another favorite of mine is Teach Me by R.A. Nelson. The teachers at your school will be shocked if you do your report on it...it is a novel about a student who has an affair with her teacher. I laugh and cry every time I read it. It's two hundred something pages long.

7. pirateninja

I don't know if they're appropriate for school books but I'll recomend them anyway. In theme they're a bit adult but are both beautifully written. First off The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold and Postcards from No Man's Land by Aiden Chambers.

8. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

TheGiver,Catcher In The Rye,and The Lottery are all books that I read in high school and enjoyed

9. Gera-Kun

A Walk to Remember By Nicolas Sparks. It's the best non-gay book i've ever read! (and if you want to read a gay book, there's Rainbow Boys. it's the best one ever.)

10. crimsonarcher

i personally would recommend "Roll of thunder, hear my cry."

11. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

I like....House on Mango Street,Finished Shabanu! omg loved it, i read Sold it was awsome. Omg! Go ask alice is sooo sad but i loved it! I loved Lovely Bones also. There are alot of good books out there. Just like tell us what your into and stuff ill try to hlp

12. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second The Power of One, by Bryce Courtenay. It is a truly awesome book.
    Also, A Separate Peace by John Knowles; one of the most touching books I have ever read.

13. Ciel

Ciel Guest

Thanks for all the suggestions ^.^, umm I think I've read a few of the books that were said but I look into some and see what looks interesting ^_^

14. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Last year I had to read 2 books for English.

• Night (by Elie Wiesel)
    • The Notebook (by Nicholas Sparks)

The first one is short, and deals with life in a Nazi concentration camp.

The second one is a little bit longer, but it's one of those lovey dovey romantics that girls drool over...
    (^Not all BTW^)

15. Zaurak

Slaughterhouse-Five and The Handmaid's Tale were both amazing books

16. biisme

what happened to lani garver
    simon says
    aimee

17. gabriel1

gabriel1 Guest

A Walk to Remember is a very good book.

Catcher in the Rye is a good book also. (Been years since I read it)

18. kuzmaster

Sophies World XD

YAY!

Only thing is, if you do decide to read it, DONT under any circumstances spoil the ended. Or any of it.

It has the most.... different story lines there is

19. Davey

Anything by Mitch Albom!
    I am also currently reading Stephen King's Cell. Its not to bad really but you have to like the scifi kind of horror. Next I'm going to read The Mist! I'm becoming a Stephen King junkie! lol

20. davo-man

Stephen King is really good, but I dont recommend studying his books, cos there's really not much substance apart from the horror...I should know, I tried doing Secret Window, Secret Garden and comparing it with Stevenson's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde...

A Clockwork Orange is fairly interesting, but make sure you get the full copy, not the abbridged version...One of my friends did this and compared it to fight Club (the book)...I dont know the author, but Ive heard that Battle Royale is extremely good and interesting; its about a group of year nines that are forced to kill each other until only one remains...I havent actually read it, but my friend loves it and it would be interesting to study