1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Love You Phillip Morris

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by EWU2012, Jan 12, 2011.

1. EWU2012

I was just wondering if anyone else here has seen this movie. I just watched it tonight and thought it was pretty good. I thought it was just going to be a comedy from the previews but towards the end there were some sad scenes that made me almost cry. haha It was also weird seeing Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor making out. Another thing is that I had no clue it was based on a true story before I watched it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoFANivV44g[/YOUTUBE]

2. theJosephDean

I watched it wayyy last year. It was hysterical though :lol: I never thought I'd see Jim Carrey in this role, but he played it well. Definitely a good watch (especially when they're introducing Phillip to the inmates :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

3. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've seen it..

Basically, it was ok. Not amazing, but not awful either. The title is very misleading though. The love story is just in the beginning, then it's on the backburner for the most of the movie. That is what I find mostly off about the movie. The love story should have gotten a bigger place imo. But instead they focused on Stephen being a con artist and escaping prison. That was basically the whole movie. Stephen conning people, getting away with it, ending up in prison and escaping multilple times. That is 9/10 of the movie, while the love story is 1/10 of the movie. So if you want a gay romantic love story I suggest you watch another movie. BTW, the Sundance version of the movie included a lot more of their love story. But the movie had a hard time getting any distributors, so they had to cut some parts. Because it was labeled "too gay". Wonder if they ever saw Black Swan as "too lesbian"? Hmm.. very double standard here. Anyway, like I said, I don't feel they focused enough on their relationship in the movie. They basically had three scenes together and that's about it. I think they should have given their relationship more screen time, and more depth too.

I wouldn't call the movie a comedy either. Because it isn't funny. The beginning has some funny moments, but then it kinda dies off and becomes kinda boring. Because it starts with him being straight, then finding out he's gay, and that's when the conning starts, which is kinda funny. But he gets caught and ends up in prison, and there he meets Phillip. Then it's about Stephen trying to escape, and here is where it becomes kinda boring. And like I said, it's not much of a comedy, it's more drama.

I would give the first half of the movie an 7/10, it has some funny moments, and it's when Stephen meets Phillip. Very cute. The second half of the movie I would give 3/10. It's boring, nothing about Stephen and Phillip anymore. Just Stephen doing all sorts of stuff to escape prison, and I found it kinda boring. So all in all I would give the movie 5/10.

4. Holmes

I enjoyed it, not because I was looking for a gay romance, but for the same reason I liked Catch Me If You Can. (Well part of the same reason, I also liked CMIYC because Di Caprio is hot) Watch it if you like con artist film. Still not the best con artist film I've seen, but still good.

5. Beachboi92

i want to see it but it isn't anywhere to be found in maryland that i've seen so far :confused: and if it comes out directors cut with all the gayness i will probably get it to watch as it was intended. I would really like to see it although from what i understand it's more so just meant to be a comedy that simply includes the characters being gay where a lot of people are used to main gay character=sappy romance and terrible tragedy xD

6. partietraumatic

I actually quite liked this movie.

And you know what, i liked that they didn't make a big deal out of the fact he was gay. That was not the central aspect of the film, and i appreciated that. I'm fed up of seeing characters where the fact they are gay is a HUGE thing, and the post important part of the story line, both in tv and movie (though thats not to say that these arent good films and tv shows).

I'd like to see more films and tv shows where the fact one of the characters is gay isn't that important, they just are gay. It would be nice to see gay people presented as normal, rather than giving the impression that all gay people are either comedy camp, or have huge psychological issues.

So for that reason alone i appreciated this film.

I also thought it was actually quite entertaining, and i don't generally like Jim Carey.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm planning on going to see this tonight! I'll let you know how I like it.

8. TheRoof

i loved this movie! it was funny and also rather romantic too! and plus ewan mcgregor is a hottie lol :grin:

9. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Funny? Not quite.

Romantic? Not really.

It's an average movie at best.

10. Hotspot

I heard about this movie back in 2009 when they were talking about it on Jay Leno, since then I have wanted to see it; although I am disappointed that Jim Carey is one of the main characters. I did however like what he said to David Letterman though.

11. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I enjoyed the movie. I saw it last summer. I've even had a conversation about it with one of my friends. It wasn't the best movie, but it was worth seeing.