1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P!nk - F**kin' Perfect

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Nomad187, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Nomad187

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocDlOD1Hw9k[/YOUTUBE]

I love this song and video so much and thought it should be shared here.

2. GhostDog

Oh god, this video. Pink has a way of releasing songs every now and again that make me go all emotional every time I hear them, without fail.

She wrote a note about the cutting part of the video, too, and now I'm all super "awww <3 <3 <3" about it.

Have I mentioned lately that I love Pink? Because I do. She is amazing. <3

3. lostinthought9

I love her too! ^_^

I just watched the video today, and I really like it. Probably could have done without the awkward beginning scene. xD But, overall a great video.

4. Colton

Awww, that little girl is so cute!

And violent :confused:

5. Beachboi92

1) Anyone else notice the seemingly gay couple in the art gallery scene thing
    2) Her husband was incredibly attractive in the video
    3) This video was also really cool and emotional and i liked it and like pink

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I love Pink although I can't watch this video again. The cutting part just grosses me out.

7. secretstache09

<3 Pink for realz.

8. midwestblues

I suppose natural selection will cull out the kids who take this video seriously and believe that the problems they're facing warrant self-mutilating an entire word into their forearm to the result of an immediate and drastic improvement in their emotional health. Either that, or, maybe the producers could have chosen not to send such an irresponsible message to the video's core demographic in the first place.

9. Nomad187

Wow its sad that, that is the message you got from this video. That is not what the message of this video is of.

10. midwestblues

Cutting is a serious issue. This video--aimed primarily at adolescent girls, the group most likely to take up the practice--doesn't address it as such. It could not be more blasé with its message. Believe it or not, your pop goddess produced something of poor, if not condemnable, taste.

11. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    agreed with midwest. I can't stand pink.

12. Allecto

I really, really don't like Pink. She's just as fake as Britney Spears or Miley Cyrus; she's just slightly 3dgier.

13. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Really?? I don't think shes fake.

14. Jay

Jay

Wow, guys. Did you watch the entire video? Did you listen to the lyrics and understood what it means? You're not less than perfect. Don't ever feel less than perfect because you're not. And the fact that after cutting she stood up, beautiful, with no scars ( !!! ) and went to have a good life, with a husband and a daughter, means that it's always getting better, and cutting and suicide won't solve anything, but being brave, standing up and making a change (represented by the new hair-do and the painting she was doing) will do a lot.

15. chained butterfly

Oh my god. Me and my friend were listening to this song and we like bugged out. This explained our lives in a freaking nutshell.

16. PurpleGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I like P!NK alot..however whenever i get a new song NO MATTER WHO they are it takes me awhile for the words sink in. I tried to watch the full video but my internet connection does not like to download videos but I finally got to see it freeze up only 2x..so I enjoyed most of it. I had to cover the screen for the cutting part..I know people that have cut or done some sort of self harm..its very serious I think P!nk should do more then just put videos up or songs..Don't get me wrong..I just wish she was in the NEWS more about raisting awarness to these issues. Thats all...but P!NK is cool :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 29th Jan 2011 at 09:39 PM ----------

I strongly disagree about P!NK and miley cyrus. I like country music so I like her music and P!nk speaks for alot of people but again I would like to see her do more advocacy work.

17. maverick

^ Mid, I know you're a cynic, and you're entitled to your opinion of course, but I think this is a really cold message to take away from the song. I don't think anyone could reasonably interpret that video as "Go ahead and cut kids! It'll fix your lives like a genie lamp!" I'm with Nomad, I think it's sad that's the message you got from it and don't agree with you at all. I didn't feel it was dealt with flippantly.

I am a cutter. I want to say former cutter, but we can't ever really make that call, can we? I went through two periods of it while I was in university, with one particularly bad relapse a few weeks before I came out. It is a compulsive behavior that has always been triggered by stress beyond my ability to verbalize (always weak) or express through art (always strong).

Transmuting emotional pain into physical pain is sometimes a necessary alchemy for people without the communication or coping skills to deal with that pain in other, admittedly more constructive ways. For me it was a suicide preventative. When I backed my emotions off the red-line by drawing blood, it relieved the pressure of gender dysphoria long enough to allow me to rationally rethink throwing myself off a bridge or in front of a train, both things that I considered pretty regularly in high school and college. The physical pain cut through the emotional pain and allowed me to think clearly in a pattern that did not focus on me wanting to die.

Also - if you had asked any of my myriad friends or family whether I was depressed or even just unhappy during those periods, they would have looked at you like you were crazy. I showed no outward signs of suicidal or self-destructive behavior. If I had killed myself back then, nobody would have had the slightest clue why. That's because people who cut and pursue other self-destructive behaviors have a hard time alerting people to the fact that they're in trouble. I know I did.

You guys are literally the only people I have ever confided that information in. My immediate family now knows I was suicidal growing up, but they don't know I self-harmed, or starved myself, or burned myself. After the fact I was always humiliated by what I'd done, and I always hid it. It was never "attention-seeking" behavior. (Ironically, any time I starved myself, I only got positive attention for it.)

Of course most people - even suicidal young people - recognize counselling as a superior method to dealing with your problem, but not everybody can afford it. Not everybody has the emotional luxury of being enough in their right mind to seek it out. Not everybody is even willing to accept help from others on such a deeply personal issue.

As a cutter with almost no trust in other people at that point in my life, I know I never would have sought therapy, or even friends/family to talk about my problems with. I literally would have rather died.

Personally, I interpret the video to mean more that no matter how "different" you are in school, how much trouble you get in, or what kind of self-destructive behaviors you exercise to try and eradicate those feelings or relieve the pressure, you always have the chance to turn your life around and use those things which were your weaknesses as your strengths. In this case, I think the girl realized exorcising her demons on canvas or paper versus exorcising them on herself can a) be profitable, and b) is a much healthier outlet for negative emotions.

I think cutting is one of those behaviors that is impossible to fully understand - or judge - unless you've been there.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4_VgBT5Uvc&feature=fvw[/YOUTUBE]

^ This was the song I related to most strongly in high school.

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2011 at 06:05 AM ----------

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhC1pI76Rqo[/YOUTUBE]

^ Also this.

#17 maverick, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  18. TSwiftfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is song is by far, my favorite by P!nk. I also like her 'raise your glass' song.

The video sends out a great message. I applaud P!nk for what she did with it.

19. officialtom

officialtom Guest

This song is absolutely amazing. One of my favourites by P!nk and I've been a HUGE fan since Missundaztood. Love all her stuff, but can't get enough of this song. She's such an inspiration.