1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else like Buffy the vampire slayer for its... gayness?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Foxywolf, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Foxywolf

I love the gay aspect to Buffy the vampire slayer!
    I actually started watching it before I knew that Willow came out as a lesbian later in Buffy. I said that Willow was my favorite character and even reflected on how similar she was to me. Lo and behold she was more similar to me than I thought.
    I actually started watching Buffy before I knew I was a lesbian, and when I finally came to terms with the fact that I was a lesbian I started looking for good Lesbian shows. The internet told me that in season 4 of Buffy Willow comes out as a Lesbian. I was surprised but thought it was funny that my favorite character who I thought was similar to me was a lesbian - like me.
    I love the way other people react to Willow being gay - especially Buffy's reactions!
    Like I thought it was so funny when Buffy said to Willow in the seventh season, "Stop it, or I'm gonna make you talk about your new girlfriend who you hold hands with under the dinner table and think we don't notice." There are just little things like this that I think are so funny!
    Anyone else love buffy?

2. maverick

I'm a huge Buffy fan, I used to watch it all the time when it was on TV. And yeah, I always loved it for its "gayness" too. I'm pretty sure Buffy the Vampire Slayer was my first real introduction to gay people at all.

3. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

I started watching Buffy when I was just a tiny tot. I remember I used to call my mom at work to ask if I could stay up to watch Buffy every week. Which is a good example of how early my bed time was when I was little. I don't know if the fact that gay characters were in it made me like it more but Buffy is awesome!

4. Allecto

I had a huge crush on Drusilla, which made me realize that I was into girls. And seeing Willow and Tara portrayed positively made me realize that I could pursue a relationship with another woman and it would be totally okay.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just like the show, the gay aspect was neither here nor there for me, I loved the witty dialog

6. ArcaneVerse

this^^ but with more obsessive fan rambling n squealing added in. I own all the seasons on DVD and all the season 8 comics so far. also angel DVDs. Joss Whedon is a genius.

7. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the hints at Spike and Angel having been together (albeit on Angel) and the Xander/Larry relationship. Willow and Tara remain one of my favourite couples, although I'm really angry that she ended up with that brat Kennedy

8. Foxywolf

Haha yes I loved the witty dialogue! I did like it a lot before the gay aspect came in, but yea it just made me like it more!

Yea I was angry that Tara died and Willow ended up with Kennedy too :icon_sad:

9. Paper Heart

I'll always recall that episode with Xander in the speedo. Childhood <3

10. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Buffy" is the best show ever made, in my opinion. I love it for its wittiness, and I love the characters. I love how the show could be exciting, humorous ("Doppelgangland" and "The Zeppo" episodes, for example), as well as deeply human and tragic ("The Body" is the finest hour of television I've ever seen.) Joss Whedon is a genius. The gayness is just a bonus for me. I loved it before I came out, and I love it now. That said, Willlow & Tara were by far my favorite couple. Oh, and I listen to the "Once More, With Feeling" episode soundtrack all the time! Long live Buffy! :icon_bigg
    [​IMG]

11. maverick

Word. One of my two idols (him and Stephen King).

With their powers combined, I could rule the world.

12. Tim

Tim

I was saddened when I found out Joss had decided either Willow or Xander was gay when he started writing the show, but didn't know which, until Willow came out, and had dropped hints as to either until then.

I kind've wish Xander had been gay. Would have been nice to have a "Normal" guy be gay on TV>

13. maverick

Gay or straight, I would do dirty, dirty things to Xander. :lol:

14. GhostDog

Oh lord, yes. I love how there's even more gay in the comics.

I love the show for its writing and dialogue too, don't get me wrong, but the fact that it portrays gay people as... y'know, people? So awesome. Though I kinda wish that the first kiss between Willow and Tara hadn't been the episode where Buffy's mom died. (THAT EPISODE, OH MY GOD, WEPT LIKE A BABY.)

And oh, I so preferred Tara. I didn't mind Kennedy so much as a character, though I didn't particularly think she had as much chemistry with Willow as Tara did. (Though, it was a liiiiittle cool watching Willow on the rampage, I will admit.) I'm glad she didn't end up with someone who had the same personality as her first girlfriend, though.

Haha, I did love there being some reference to the Willow thing in Angel. I think the episode with the runaway shelter getting a fundraiser... There was a media gathering where someone who was talking to an actress asked, "So, the thing about making your character gay - was that just about ratings, or what?" I giggled. =P

BUT YES OMG, BUFFY AND ANGEL AND ANYTHING JOSS WHEDON HAS EVER TOUCHED = YES. I just wish he didn't have such a distressing tendency to kill characters I like. D:

15. MusicIsLife

Hilairously epic thing of the day: I started a buffy marathon today, and just finished watching season 1 for the zillionth time. I always need to prepare myself for season two because its my favourite, but I cry a lot when I watch it >.>

Willow was always one of my favourite characters, even better after I found out she was gay. Sidenote am I the only one who HATED Kennedy?!

16. Allecto

According to Joss Whedon, they did have sex. Also, Darla and Drusilla also had a sexual relationship. (And I totally shipped them.)

17. ArcaneVerse

Yes but he does it so well, if he didn't I would hate him so much but he's really good at killing people and have it mean something.

I just wish people would stop cancelling his shows, Dollhouse had amazing potential but people are just too impatient and dont want to think about important moral questions that Dollhouse raised. However joss ended the show brilliantly, still hoping for a movie or something.

18. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Willow was one of my favorite characters and I found Willow/Tara to be incredibly epic, but I kinda see where you're coming from regarding Xander.

I don't know what I would have done if that character ever came out of the closet, I would have gone crazy with excitement, LOL.

19. RaRa

I would love Buffy even without the gayness.

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hated when they killed off Tara....though Willow's whole demon act was fucking awesome...even the gruesome turning one of the nerds inside out.