1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Art is complicated

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Moonstrike, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never been more than a casual observer of art and art museums tend to bore me slightly. I only ever really enjoy being in art museums when theres someone, who I know, whos there to explain to me what certain pieces mean.

My own art is the kind that I find most pleasing because I can relate to it instantly and on a more in depth complex level. There are, however, certain pieces which arent mine that I relate to without need for explanation as well. X2x2x2x2y2s 'Poorly Conceived Happiness' is such an example. But, the thing is, I have probably interpreted the drawing in a very different way than X2x2x2x2y2 does. It seems that all art is personal... Even art that isnt your own.

Art that, at first, seems ridiculous can have deep meaning. The personal and wider social story can add to a piece immeasurably. The early Soviet Union painting of a simple black square would seem ridiculous, to me, if it was painted in almost any other country in almost any other era. But that painting defines that era of revolutionary and new ideas and is in stark contrast to the latter Soviet Union paintings of the Stalinist era (government approved propoganda paintings).

Anyway, dont really know why I put this thread up. I know we have a lot of artistic types on this forum and I guess I just thought we could discuss art in some way. What are your experiences with art?

#1 Moonstrike, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. djt820

Art isn't particularly complicated as long as you follow the guidelines you just said. Art is 100% interpretation. This is no solid definition or meaning of someone's art. Not even the creator of the art can claim it's meaning because everyone will interpret it differently.

3. maverick

I interpret my own art and the art of everyone else within the context of the society that art was conceived in. A lot of my art has to do with anti-authoritarianism, anarchy, the interconnection of all things, war, patriotism, gender identity, child soldiers, anti-fascism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, and spirituality, just because those are all of the issues that speak to me of the times we live in.

Art is just a mirror, and a lie that tells the truth.

4. Aya McCabre

Anything that's open to interpretation is complicated like that. I know from having an author as an English teacher that people who get really into something will invariably find a heap of hidden meaning that its creator hadn't thought of...... But who's to say it isn't there? There's a reason I don't like finding out the 'official' meanings behind songs..... They become so much less relatable. Art is what you make of it.

5. art, literature, music...they're all like this. completely subjective. What I find interesting is that because everyone takes something away that's different, an artist probably never expresses everything that they really felt or thought while creating. I mean, when I write poetry or stories and I have a specific picture or feeling in my head, is anyone coming away from reading it with the same feeling or picture I put into it?