1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dior Fired John Galliano For Racist Comments

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Witchcraft, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Has any one else heard of this? I just saw it on the news and I was like 0_0 I can't believe he would say stuff like that, like what was going through his head at the moment, I'm glad Dior fired him, since they shouldn't allow people like that to get away with things! I wonder who will be the new head designer for Dior! :0 Anyone have any guesses on who it might be? I also heard that the Dior Fashion show this friday in Paris will be canceled, it should be, because it wouldn't make any sense to have it.

2. RaRa

Yup saw it on the news too...

I didn't really care.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i read it, but i'd never heard of him. Is he pretty famous?

4. Jay

Jay

He is like AWESOME. Too bad his mouth got him into this much trouble. He is a creative genius and I love his work.

If you're into fashion, you must know who Galliano is. If you don't, go buy a Vogue or a Harper's Bazaar :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. TheRoof

i couldnt believe he would say things like that.
    He's such a genius though. Dior would never be samewithout him...my god his haute coutures were out of this world.
    Also Natalie Portman just became the model for Dior Cherie fragrance, and she's Jewish, so it's kind of epic irony ;;;

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    haha, the only name in fashion that i really like is Jean-Paul Gaultier. Kinda an outsider here.

but yeah, wow, i hadn't read his actual quotes... "i love hitler"???!?!?! Talk about career suicide!

7. Shevanel

Speaking of Natalie Portman
    Natalie Portman 'Shocked and Disgusted' by John Galliano's Rant

8. Helen

Helen Guest

I'm always willing to look past people's flaws if they have true talent. On antisemitism...Wagner anyone? Nobody's stopped listening to him. Stephen Fry (Jewish) even made a documentary explaining why he loves Wagner's music. It's all about the talent ^_^

Galliano's behaviour was very unbefitting of his closely scrutinised position, but I'm not sure I agree with him being fired for it.

9. Sanssouci

It clearly wasn't acceptable and he was incredibly stupid for saying it. Although, on the video the women he was talking to didn't seem very offended, and he was clearly very very drunk. He also seemed to be dressed as Colonel Gadaffi.

10. Emberstone

I saw pictures of him, and some of his work on the catwalk. I thought he was buttugly, and his fashion creations continued that trend.

11. browneyedboy

The thing is, it wasnt a once off event, when he was first arrested dior suspended him indefinitely while all police matters proceeded, however during this time the video of him hurling more anti-semitic racist remarks was released, showing that it was not in fact a once of drink induced event, and then they fired him, which i think they were correct to do. As mentioned above natalie portman (who is jewish), has basically become one of the new faces of dior (and as mentioned above she too commented on the matter and agrees with diors decision) she made it very clear that she does not support him at all by wearing a Rodarte dress to the Oscars. He is clearly an angry bitter man, who belongs right down there among mel gibson and anyother person who chooses to prejudice based solely on religion, race, sexual orientation etc. There is a thriving community of new young vibrant designers and im sure dior will have no problem replacing him. (after the great alexander mcqueens death, people must've have thought that the house would never maintain standards, yet there new head of design has kept the brand up to stands....dior will have no problem)