1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GQ - the closeted mans magazine?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by browneyedboy, Mar 5, 2011.

1. browneyedboy

This is really random and really doesnt have much of a point just been curious about it.

so ive been an avid reader of GQ for a good few years now and i absolutely love it.

So recently ive been realising that it seems like a closeted mans men magazine, i mean they release every issue with two cover options one which has their featured (female) model and the other one with the featured (hot) actor, sportsmen. Also the female models spread seem to be relatively small part of the magazine. The rest is full of art, events, the latest hotspots, the newest fashion trends, and it often contains a not very straight high fashion section. Also the adverts inside all basically have men advertising the fragrance, watch, clothing etc and more than often they're hot, built and not wearing very much.

Anyways i dont really have a point to this whole thing, basically want to know if anyones had the same thoughts or has heard of it being aimed towards gay men? I mean i lvoe reading it and getting fashion tips and getting news on the latest fragrances, styles, etc.

2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've thought the same about GQ and other men's mags. They all have hot dudes advertising stuff and in the articles. I dropped GQ in favor of Details which just seems a little more down to earth and more gay. Seems like I never read a gay related article in GQ and I got sick of the girlfriend articles.

3. TheJoker

If you are gonna sell men's watch, you gotta use some cool,hot,handsome whatever guy.Its not because men subconsciously would like to have sex with them, its because they subconsciously want to be like those men.

Sex sells ads are mostly about a hot girl using gun,truck,computer,PC game..

4. Flyers2011

I'm a chick, but I always thought GQ stood for "Gay Quarterly" Lmao. I guess you could take it that way, because of the ads and what it focuses on, but it certainly isn't the Advocate. I guess a closeted guy could read it and it wouldn't be obvious. I wouldn't say it is a general thing but it might be for some guys.

5. Paper Heart

They had a great story in the December issue about Brendan Burke and how his father has tried to keep the dream going. I loved it.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ....GQ: Gay-Queer Magazine. Duh.

7. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    yes I agree... straight guys are attracted to that kind of advertising. they can recognize which men are hot too even if they won't admit it, and it makes products look cooler if they're worn by good looking models.

8. No One

I love GQ, it's my favorite magazine.

9. Emberstone

no... all men secretly want to pork a hot male model... they just dont want the jesus police to find out, so they hide it.

10. ScottieBB

I subscribe to Details

---------- Post added 6th Mar 2011 at 01:47 AM ----------

LOL I just realized my picture is a cover of Details

11. browneyedboy

haha and that photo on the cover and the other one on youre profile are both from GQs article a few months back on mathew! haha

12. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hadn't heard of Details before, but after seeing it in a store today I think it's a pretty un-closeted guy's magazine. The cover was very attractive... and it has an ad for a shirt where the model is shirtless and just holding the shirt scrunched up in his hand.

13. No One

Random question: When you order a subscription do you get to decide on if you want the guy cover or the girl cover?

14. browneyedboy

im not sure, im assuming so though, but in shops they mostly have both covers, im subscribing soon so ill let you know