1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tumblrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by OneHatMadder, Apr 12, 2011.

1. OneHatMadder

So I recently got a tumblr because a few of my friends told me it was amazing and I should get one.
    I'm a bit confused...
    What exactly is the point in a tumblr?
    I thought maybe some of my super-brainy EC people could help me understand
    :slight_smile:
    Cheers
    -Mama-
    xx

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quick reminder... it's fine to talk about tumblr, but in doing so, don't post your *own* tumbler url. Full members can share that info via PM.

Back to topic :slight_smile:

3. OneHatMadder

Cheers.
    I was going to but then I remembered the rule :wink:

4. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Yeah, I don't really get tumblr either. I thought about getting one but didn't really get it and got bored.

5. Shulk

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I've gathered, Tumblr is kind of like Twitter, only you can post videos, images, and audio too.

6. But you can do that on twitter too, can't you?

Seriously though, I thought I was the only one in the universe who does not understand the point of tumblr.:lol:

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started out by just following a couple of my friends, then a couple of meme blogs, then a couple of cute animal blogs, then those would link to other blogs, and so on and so forth xD My own blog is used for my own rants, and for posting things that entertain me.

8. Beertruck

I have a tumblr. It's halfway between Twitter and a regular old blog.

9. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

These summarize the point of the website rather well. My tumblr blog is mostly for posting/reblogging things that entertain me or that I may want to refer back to later to show a friend (so I don't need to save them on my hard-drive and can access them from any computer). I started out after I was pressured into it by a friend. I followed her and the other friend she pressured into it. She would reblog pictures from blogs she found amusing, I would find those blogs amusing myself and follow them, and the process repeats. I also found other friends of mine who were on tumblr, so we followed each other, too, and that makes the "linking to other entertaining blogs" process happen even more.

That's generally how one gets into the website. It's hard to understand the appeal unless you actually try it, and that's a lot easier if you know people who are already on tumblr. You really can't understand the "point" of tumblr and how fun it is without actually giving it a whirl.

As for what tumblr offers, it pretty much is like twitter, but you can post pictures (which comprises most of the website), video links, music, and longer text files. The big difference, though, is that tumblr offers a lot more options for browsing than twitter, and tumblr actually allows you to upload and favorite the pictures themselves, rather than just links to them. I often say it's like if Twitter and Deviant Art had a baby that was less simplistic and optionless than its father (Twitter) and had less of a pretentious community than its mother (Deviant Art).

Also, pretty much everyone on tumblr is either GLBT or an ally/supporter. We basically run that place.

10. 507bro

tumblr is somewhat more than twitter but smaller than a regular blog. When I post things I usually write what is on my mind or post or reblog pictures I find interesting. It's awesome when you find that one tumblog that you really love. Just follow things you are interested in.
    If you want to follow pm me :slight_smile:

11. OneHatMadder

Okay.
    Thanks for your help everyone!

If anyone would like to follow me (And maybe... I dunno. Mentor me? Almost? Or something. I'm not sure.) then PM me and I'll let you know what it is... That would be handy :grin:

12. MusicIsLife

I love tumblr. I agree with all the above posts. The thing about it I find is that it gets more fun as you follow/get followed by more people. Same goes for me, if anyone wants to follow me on Tumblr, PM me :grin: