1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you like when Straights play gay characters in movies?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by KatKut, Apr 14, 2011.

?

Do you like straights playing gay?

Poll closed Oct 21, 2011.
  1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. I don't care

89 vote(s)
    73.0%
  1. KatKut

I personally don't like it
    I hate when I am watching a movie
    and then when I google the name of the protagonist
    I find out he's straight :tantrum: and everytime there are
    actual gays playing gay characters they choose the ugly or fat ones or both
    it's like we have no rights to have our talented,hot and gay actor
    I know most of you will say "Oh If he's talented I don't care about his sexuality,he's an actor" but the truth is when women discover that a singer,actor or model is or may be gay they start "disliking" him,why? because they can't believe them and that's what happens to me when I am watching a Straight actor playing gay,I can't separate his sexuality from his work(that's maybe wrong),everytime I see a love or passionate scene I feel like the actor may be disgusted kissing and touching a man's body

#1 KatKut, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  2. KatKut

I wonder...
    Why can't we have our gay Robert Pattinson?
    my favorite gay movie was "Latter Days" and I became so in love with
    "Aaron"(Steve Sandvoss) I've watched that movie when I was 16 but and I discovered he was straight and he didn't want to play a gay character anymore because he felt uncomfortable doing that and now I can't watch that movie with the same eyes

3. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

hmm I don't really mind it, at least they're showing gay characters in movies and tv shows :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, and about the kissing parts I guess it would be pretty wierd if you were gay and had to kiss a girl so it must be at least a bit awkward for a straight guy to kiss another guy but they get paid for it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. KatKut

If I was an actor I wouldn't mind kissing a woman and I am 100% gay(and bottom)
    I think that would be really funny and If I had an interview I'd never say I was uncomfortable,I think I'd be much more uncomfortable kissing another man because I guess I wouldn't feel anything kissing a woman but when women find out I am gay they wouldn't pay to watch
    a gay man playing straight(at least not the average straight woman)

#4 KatKut, Apr 14, 2011
  5. Beertruck

Doesn't bother me. They're actors, it's what they do.

Plus, I'm sure there are plenty of gay actors out there who have to play straight parts. More than a few that are in the closet, I suspect.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone who has spent any time in theater or hollywood knows that a pretty large portion of male actors are gay... waaaaay more than 10%.

A significant number of actors who are gay are closeted. Rock Hudson always had a "cover" girlfriend, George Takei, Richard Chamberlain and Lily Tomlin were closeted for decades. Among the newer generation of actors, Chris Colfer wasn't even out for the first several months after he took the Kurt Hummel role, and Adamo Ruggiero, who plays Marco on "DeGrassi" didn't come out for several years either.

So... I think it's safe to say that quite a few actors who claim to be straight and are playing gay roles may actually not be straight, just closeted. And for those who are? Who cares. Just the fact that we are getting the roles out there in the eye of the public, and influencing Edna and Elmo in Dubuque... I think that's a good thing.

7. KatKut

yeah I agree 90% with you but I also think that gay teenagers should have the right to have an openly gay/lesbian role model(someone like Adam Laberte but not emo,someone average) and I am personally tired and sick of seeing straight people everywhere,and honestly the last thing I want is to watch them playing gay characters in movies,they should give the opportunity to actual gay and lesbian actors because this is a little bit too much now

Btw:I love Chris Colfer,he's not my type but I admire him and I love his character in Glee

#7 KatKut, Apr 14, 2011
  8. Emberstone

James Franco is more than welcome to come to my bedroom, and help me put on a two man show for my cat...

9. RaRa

I don't see why it would be an issue...like at all. xD

10. Eponine

Gay or straight, why would it matter? It's not like it's very likely that I'd end up in a relationship or something with these people, so I couldn't care less what orientation they had. And besides, everyone can be gay, straight, or whatever in your imagination. xD

But anyway, I couldn't care less what orientation they were. Portraying a straight, gay, bi, or trans character when you're not shows open-mindedness. Having anyone capable of portraying such roles shows how we're just like everyone else.

11. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    seconded. Who cares what orientation they are? If anything they should be lauded in that they (unlike the masses of macho men out there who get grossed out at even the sight of two men holding hands) don't have any irrational misgivings and will happily (and skillfully!) play roles of all orientations. Some spectacular examples have been Sean Penn, Heath Ledger + Jake Gyllenhaal, Matt Damon (talented ripley) etc...

By ignoring the 'taboo' of homosexuality they are helping to remove it (the taboo) all together, and by the mere act of depicting same-sex romantic and erotic scenes, they are helping spread the embrace of universal acceptance, much as shatner's kiss with michelle nicholls helped break racial barriers (did you know that episode of star trek wasn't shown in a lot of southern states?)

Think about how many gay actors have kissed members of the opposite sex, too.

And remember that the very word 'actor' implies just that... they're acting, playing a role, becoming another person for the entertainment of other people. I can't see there's any rationale behind spiting an actor for doing his job, especially when it does nothing but help the LGBT community

#11 Pseudojim, Apr 14, 2011
  12. steel03

Um... Neil Patrick Harris? He's pretty much universally regarded as completely awesome. He is one of my biggest comforts when I get insecure about being gay or feel like I'm alone or what have you.

As far as straight people playing gay, it doesn't bother me unless it's overt. It's similar in my book for a straight guy to run around like a little fairy claiming that makes him gay as it is for him to perform in black face...

#12 steel03, Apr 14, 2011
  13. KatKut

I don't think teenagers would identify with Neil Patrick Harris(he's like 38 years old)
    I meant someone young and fresh,someone of this generation

---------- Post added 14th Apr 2011 at 02:25 PM ----------

They did it because they got paid,I don't consider open-minded straights as heros or saviours...

14. Aya McCabre

Who's to say they're straight? They all saw what happened to the actors who tried being open about it. Even those few who had a couple of good roles..... we barely remember them now. Even in my small country I could give a heap of names of people who are rumoured to be gay.... one of the biggest names in NZ music is a lesbian and I have yet to even hear any rumours about it from people who aren't connected to it (three degrees of separation between me and her). It's insane..... we're waaaay over-represented and yet we have no role models.

On topic, I'd rather have straight or closeted actors play gay roles than have no gay roles because there are no openly gay actors to play them.

15. KatKut

I agree 100% with that but we shouldn't resing ourselves...

16. I'd rather have a good actor to play a role (gay, straight or otherwise) than worry about who they are as a person. The point of it, as some people said already, is to NOT be who you are when you're doing the movie or show. It's to be someone else, whether or not you have things in common with your character is completely irrelevant.

I just want good actors. And if it's straight people who play LGBT people on tv, then good, maybe someone will learn something from seeing normal people portraying other normal people who happen to be LGBT.

17. Eponine

No one is calling them heroes or such, just regular people doing their job that can potentially benefit everyone because they're just doing normal things. And by your logic, you should realize that gay actors who play gay characters get paid too. They could have absolutely no personal connection to the role other than being gay.

Motives aside, I do think it would be great for more gay actors to be able to get jobs without any stigmas attached to their name or anything. I just don't think it matters in the end who is playing who because, like many people have said, these people are portraying a role, meaning they are not depicting themselves.

18. VampConspiracy

They're actors that act parts for movies, whether they act gay, straight, bi, aliens, zombies, vampires, piles of gloop... doesn't matter, they're still acting. Whether or not the portrayal is accurate is up to other people higher up in the food chain that is moviemaking.

19. Allecto

Yeah, this. Unless the actor in question is doing something like Hard Gay, then I don't care either way.

20. Meropspusillus

I play straight characters all the time. Actors of all sexualities kiss other actors that they don't want to kiss. It's acting. It's not about what they do in their personal life, and it should never be.