1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starkids Assemble! Who has seen Starship?!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MusicIsLife, May 2, 2011.

1. MusicIsLife

For those who are confused, Starship is the newest original musical from Team Starkid, who brought you such awesomeness as A Very Potter Musical, A Very Potter Sequel, and Me and My Dick. Starship is about the adventure of a bug named Bug, who wants to be a Sharship Ranger :grin:

I saw it the night it was released, april 30th, and it was awesome! Darren's songwriting has gotten so good, Joey Richter's singing voice has improved sooo much, and its not as crass as their older musicals, but still funny and very starkid.

Anyone else?

2. Porphyrogenitus

I watched it. It was certainly... good, but not as good as either AVPM or AVPS, imo. It wasn't as funny generally, for starters, and I didn't think all the songs did as well. Also, the puppets kinda limited the acting - especially compared to when I saw Avenue Q, where the puppets and the actors were really well integrated and enhanced the experience; in Starship, they were too static, too much of a mask.

On the plus side, there are some really good songs. 'I wanna be a Starship ranger', for instance, and 'Take it up a notch' where finally Dylan Saunders got a really awesome chance to sing solo. And Brian Holden was outstanding as Junior, except he didn't get as many scenes as I'd like. Lauren Lopez too. Joe Walker not so much this time... Up wasn't really a great character, and pales in comparison to Voldy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yeah, so... I did like it, but I'm not getting too excited. I can see how you would though, so maybe it's just me :shrug: