1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book Suggestions please?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by whiterosebeka, May 19, 2011.

1. whiterosebeka

i'm interested in these authors:
    Stephenie Meyer (The Host is my favorite)
    Robert Cormier (I am the Cheese)
    Ellis Avery (The Teahouse Fire)
    Alice Hoffman (Green Angel)
    Chuck Palahniuk (Rant)

so basically i'm a fan of sci-fi, suspense, drama, comical, or twisted books.

Any Suggestions?

2. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you like sci-fi you should try Brave New World by Aldous Huxley; the ultimate sci-fi book, set in the future where humans are split into different social castes at birth by the government. Then someone form outside society arrives... It can be a little twisted at times

3. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams. (Sci-fi & comical).

It, Misery, Pet Sematery, Rose Madder, Under The Dome, Cujo, Desperation, The Regulators, Needful Things, Christine....etc... by Stephen King. (Twisted, dramatic, suspenseful).

They're pretty much all I read these days.

4. UnAmourFatal

The Time Traveler's Wife (Audrey Niffenegger) twisted, romantic, and soooooo..ah..I just love it.

Atonement (Ian McEwan) also romantic, and the endig is just..awh..

5. Connor22

Metro 2033, AWESOME book about survival in Moscow after an atomic war. Really worth a read. Another good one is The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton, it's really nerdy yet irresistibly awesome :slight_smile:

6. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. Hemera

I recommend "The Magician" by "Lev Grossman"
    I found it to be a really great read.

8. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trudi Canavan - The Black Magician trilogy

9. daedalus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Some of the stuff I can suggest:

You mentioned Stephanie Meyer so I'm going to go ahead and suggest some teen/young adult books:

-Daughters of the Moon(Teenage girls who are goddesses...based on standard mythology)
    -Infinity-Sherrilyn Kenyon (Zombies, dark humor, the young adult version of the author's adult series)
    -Repossessed-A demon possesses a teen boy to see what it's like as an average human

Regular Adult Books:

-Crazy School-Cornelia Read-about a boarding school for deranged teens with some dark humor
    -Dirty Job-Christopher Moore-The last guy you'd ever expect to become a reaper---supernatural and epic dark humor. I wish this book had a sequel. I highly recommend this book if you like supernatural and dark humor.
    -Wicked Game-Jeri Smith Ready-about a con artist who gets a job at a radio station run by vampires from different decades
    -Doppelganger-Marie Brennan--supernatural fantasy medieval type world that splits hunters and witches.

10. TheWanderer

im so glad somebody suggested this. And judging from your name you are a a big douglas adams fan.

the only thing i will add about douglas adams is read EVERYTHING he ever wrote. too bad he died before his writing career was over.

11. ToTheCeilingFan

Have you read Terry Pratchett? Amazing, amazing, amazing fantasy writer. His stuff is hilarious, but in a dry and witty and intelligent way. He's one of the best-selling authors in the UK; his stuff isn't quite as popular over here, which is sad because he's really a genius.

12. KnightAssassin

Mister B. Gone by clive barker
    Dr faustus by christopher marlowe

13. Aya McCabre

Definitely Terry Pratchett. And interviews with him should be worth watching if you find any. Granted I haven't seen any interviews with him, but I've met him and he's awesome. Seriously. Watch his interviews.

Sherri S Tepper writes science fiction that reads like fantasy. She's an author I often use to try and convert people who insist they like fantasy but science fiction sucks. She also wrote a couple of horror type books if you're into that.