1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic novels with depictions of gays

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BloodyRose3000, Jun 18, 2011.

1. BloodyRose3000

I haven't really read that many classic books that fit this description. Of the ones I've read there's:

[​IMG]

Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin (written in the 1956 when homosexual acts were still illegal). A masterpiece about a man who grapples with his sexual identity.

and

[​IMG]

Junky by William Burroughs (1953), a realistic account of the life of a junk addict.

2. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it never goes into detail but The Picture of Dorian Gray has lots of Gay undertones. Probably cos Oscar Wilde was as Gay as the day is long :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Tracy Lord

If you're a Burroughs fan and you haven't seen Drugstore Cowboy with Matt Dillon, you need to.

4. BloodyRose3000

Oh, that's in my top 25 movies of all time :icon_bigg!

5. SlickyPants

I'm not much of a bookworm but I'm currently reading 2061: Odyssey Three (a sequel to a sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey) by Arthur C. Clarke. In it there is a gay couple that are friends of the protagonist and they have nothing to do with the plot. They have a brief converstation with the main character about relationships but that's about it so far. I have no idea if they reoccur later in the story but I doubt it.

I was kind of surprised to see that in a book written in the '80s. I knew I liked the guy's works and ideas but when I started reading this book and I realized that he wrote a gay couple into it and in a positive light it gave me a new respect for the author.

6. BloodyRose3000

Oh wow, I've scene 2001 the movie, but I've never read any of the novels. Any good?

7. SlickyPants

I think they're pretty good. I also think the movie is one of the greatest movies of all time. I believe one of the reasons I really enjoyed it was because there was a lot of real science mentioned in the books and it ignores a lot of the common sci-fi cliches. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of fantastical ideas stemming from the fact that it takes place in the future (taking into consideration when they were written) and there are advanced alien entities that aren't understood but for the most part it is all grounded in reality and the laws of physics.

One thing I kind of like, because I don't read that much and really don't have time to sit down for hours and read is that the chapters are really small. So I can read a few chapters at a time while on the bus or on my break at work.

#7 SlickyPants, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  8. steel03

I guess I'll mention again that Johnny Wheelwright from A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving is supposed to be in love with Owen, and is probably gay, even though this never comes up directly in the book.

9. Kata

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The first title that came to my mind was Maurice by E.M. Forster. I liked it.

10. haelmarie

All I can think of is Confessions of a Mask by Yukio Mishima, but I'm not sure if that would be considered "classic".

11. BloodyRose3000

I was going to mention that, actually. I haven't read it, but I've heard great things about it. Plus, I've watched part of the movie, and all of A Room With A View, which was brilliant.