1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the Bible Tells Me So

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TheEdend, Jun 21, 2011.

1. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

If you haven't heard of this amazing documentary yet then go ahead and watch the trailer here:
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajBR0dq0XXk[/YOUTUBE]

Its a documentary that tackles that questions about what the bible really says about homosexuality and its a must see for anyone that has had to struggle with their faith and their sexuality.

Here is the whole documentary. Enjoy :slight_smile:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye3H2hGlcTc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

2. Raeil

Wait, wait, wait.... you found the whole documentary? I've been looking for that, and have been completely unable to find it (legally)....

Actually, now that I see the series that video is a part of, I have found it before, but because the name is not the same, I didn't realize it was the documentary! Now I get to include this in my coming out note!!!!

Thanks much! Seriously, if you have Christian friends who aren't pro-gay or you yourself are Christian, this is a great piece of work to watch!

3. Connor22

going to church every sunday doesnt make you a christian any more than sitting in a cave makes you a rock :/

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow just watching radicalists makes you see how crazy they really are

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2011 at 06:53 AM ----------

whoa whoa whoa, in pt2 2:26 he says it clearly states then he says find it it's in there, I'm sure it says it more then once.....kinda sounds like he hasn't actually read it. If you gonna believe in something you might wanna make sure you understand what it is you believe in.

5. Tracy Lord

>what the bible really says about homosexuality

Just my two cents: I object to this approach because it accepts the premise that the Bible is some kind of spiritual authority which has simply been misinterpreted (possibly for manipulative ends). This is exactly what the Reformers thought about the Catholic Church.

The reality, I think, is that it is simply a book written by particular people in particular places at particular times. Some of it is timeless and universal (love your neighbor, etc) and some of it isn't. Point being, What The Bible Says About Homosexuality is about as relevant and authoritative today as what the Bible might say about how the earth was created

Plus, the Bible doesn't have much to say about homosexuality (and where it does, it's negative) because the Bible was written in cultures where you had things like polygamy in order to keep the population up. Which, paranthetically, is why I think you see homosexuality accepted more in first world countries today than third world countries.

So, the very idea of gay relationships is a *relatively* new thing. If you lived in Moses' time and you were gay, the idea probably would not have even occurred to you because you lived under completely different circumstances than we do now. The Bible must be placed in it's cultural context. It wasn't written by people living in relative wealth and freedom with comparatively few concerns about basic survival.

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2011 at 08:21 AM ----------

Sorry, that wasn't really very Entertaining, was it? lol

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The bible was written by iron age peasants. Those who take every word of it to be the exact word of god are fanatical.

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Let's try to stay in topic here. This is not a thread to try and convert anyone into anything or convince anyone of anything at all. This is for people that have an internal struggle with balancing their faith and their sexuality, and it just presents a different perspective on the whole topic.

I find it entertaining and interesting :slight_smile: Have you seen the documentary? It actually touches on everything you just mentioned and pretty much agrees with most of what you said. It explains it with much more detail and with the help of stories, though, so if it is something that interests you I'll greatly recommend it.

8. Tracy Lord

Fair enough; it's just a button of mine. I try to stay away from politics and religion on this forum, but I do weaken from time to time....

9. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

^ I hear you, but I think you do have some strong points. What you said is pretty much what the documentary is trying to touch on, while still keeping the santity of the bible though. You should really watch it. I think you would like it :slight_smile:

By this rate people are going to think I get paid to promote it haha but I just really enjoy it :slight_smile: xD

10. Tracy Lord

Oh, I'm sure it's good, I believe you, but this is one of those things where I shouldn't have posted in the first place. It's a long boring story, but the short version is that I studied philosophy and theology for a good couple of decades and now it all just makes me angry. And I don't want to be angry, so I'm working on that, and part of working on it is not getting worked up about these things and posting speeches about them.

Anyway, I will retreat back into the shadows now...lol

11. Sadepeura

I've seen the film!!! It was really good. Slightly too fanatical to my taste though. But apart from a few annoying things in it, I liked it.

A girl from my uni organised a showing for this and invited a lecturer to give a short talk about the Bible and homosexuality before we watched the film. A lot of people turned up so it was a very successful event. I'm actually really proud of her to have the courage to arrange something like that.

12. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

^ That sounds really interesting, actually. I tried doing something a long those lines with the cooperation of one of the christian clubs at our campus. We are still discussing the idea...it has been a year now xD

Out of curiosity, who did you guys invite to speak?

13. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

Hm, it only showed part of it, but it was really good! i'm gonna find out where i can see the rest of it

14. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

^ The whole thing is on youtube. Its just tricky to find it. If you go to the person's profile that uploaded it you can find most of them. He even uploaded the version with spanish subtitles.

Here's the second part :slight_smile:
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DshBbVCN4v0&feature=channel_video_title[/YOUTUBE]

15. Emberstone

also, if you have netflix, the entire documentary is streamable. I watched it on my roku box a few days ago.

16. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Oh, I didn't know that. Thats pretty awesome :slight_smile:

17. Flying Squirrel

YES! Finally got to watch this! I wish they had gone further into the theology but the stories of the families were all amazing to watch.

Yep I laughed to my self a bit when he said that...

18. Sadepeura

The Edend, I hope you get it arranged! :slight_smile:

It was a lecturer from our university, Dr William Naphy, because he was very suitable for it. He has also apparently published a book about homosexuality and Christianity:

"Born to be Gay - A History of Homosexuality is published

A critically acclaimed author and leading historian at the University of Aberdeen is due to publish his latest book, which chronicles the global history of the lives of gay men and women from the earliest civilisations to the present day.

Dr William Naphy, Senior Lecturer and Director of Teaching and Learning in the School of Divinity, History and Philosophy at the University of Aberdeen, will celebrate the launch of Born to be Gay: A History of Homosexuality, on Thursday, November 25.

Dr Naphy’s last book, Sex Crimes, was selected as a Guardian newspaper ‘Book of the Week’.

In his latest book, Dr Naphy delves into the historical perspective on gay marriage, demonstrating that the claim by the Christian right that marriage is one man and one woman is historically inaccurate. The book opens with a world rich in ideas about sexuality, a world largely tolerant about homosexuality. It ends with a Westernised, Christianised world in which sex is bad, dirty, and serves no real purpose except procreation.

Dr Naphy argues that just as the West is now perceived as spreading dangerous liberal values (such as gay rights) it has already succeeded in spreading Victorian Christian values across the globe. Born to be Gay traces the slow closing of the minds of non-Western cultures about sexuality as they have become colonised in the 19th century by Western ideas about marriage and sex.

The book demonstrates that almost all societies have accepted that some individuals were mainly attracted to members of the same biological sex.

Dr Naphy, who lives in Aberdeen, is the author of Sex Crimes: From Renaissance to Enlightenment (‘Wonderfully scandalous’ DIARMAID MACCULLOCH, author of Reformation, Penguin 2003), co-author of Plague: Black Death & Pestilence in Europe (‘A chilling warning from history’ THE SUNDAY TELEGRAPH) both published by Tempus. "