1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The slow death of print media.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Bibliophile, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Bibliophile

You know I just had to post this because I have heard three people talk about how they don't read and another two talk about how much better their kindle or whatever is then a real book.

I love books. I am not talking books online, eBooks, eReaders, or anything like that. I love a book I can hold in my hand. I love the smell of a new book. I love the feel of a well made cover and crisp new pages. I think there is just something about a honest to goodness printed work that is so much better then the new eReaders and such that have come out. A book will never lose power or break if you drop it. In fact books of cared for properly will outlast any electronic media you could own and that's IF you don't need the latest upgrade to it when it comes out.

I cant help but feel like the era of print media may come to an end. Maybe not in my lifetime but I think maybe in my grand kids if I have any. That saddens me to no end. There is just something about the printed word that is special to me and I would hate to see younger generations lose an appreciation for it. But many people even in my own don't value the written word. So any thoughts on this? Any of you agree or disagree with my sentiment?

2. RaeofLite

I'm with you on that 120%. I have a ton of books. Two large bookshelves are full of books varying from novels, to college text books and anything I find interesting. I need to buy a third. That doesn't include books I've read that aren't mine or those that I've loaned from the library over the years. :slight_smile:

I love walking into a bookstore (new or used) and smelling the books and holding them in my hand as well.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally agree, I like to read books that I can hold in my hand. Also, I just break electronics. But, sadly the issue with society today and we like to see what is going on. So most people do not even read anymore and instead watch tv. It's the unfortunate part of technology, It destroys other forms of media.

4. I both agree with you and disagree.

I am an avid lover of hard bound books. I too love the smell and the feel and the weight of them in my hands.

BUT, I do not, and will not ever miss the days when I had to make do with a smaller collection of books, when I could not carry more than a few with me when I went somewhere, when I had to search several places for a book I wanted, only to wait for it to be shipped to me.

The time of print media is ending, you're right. But as much as I love books, I don't think that the end of paper books will mean the end of love for the written word. I'm as nostalgic as the next person over the smell of a library, but my kindle allows me to carry all my books with me everywhere, so I can read to people I care about or take comfort and escape in the pages--regardless of whether they are eInk or not.

So, I guess the availability and portability win out for me. Exposure to literature has never been easier. And, it's cheaper to buy ebooks. Although, for my favorites I tend to also purchase a hard copy, just because, like you, I love physical books.

5. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It shall be a very sad day for me if print media of any persuasion (including books, magazines, printed advertisement campaigns, catalogs [which are already tapering off - supposedly to be greener], etc.) were to cease and desist production. Pictures, papers, and hardbound books especially are amongst my favorite things in the world.

The only reason I would possibly want an E-reader would be to be able to get more books in less time, since the local library is abysmal in it's so called "collection". I have read my way through all their books in less than a year. :dry: Other than that I think E-readers are a waste. True, they are innovative and quite handy devices. However, I am a staunch traditionalist when it comes to my books. And I do think books will live on amongst people like us, but they will probably be more expensive and less common.