1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play for school

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Choucho, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Choucho

Alright, so I'm in a senior drama class this semester. One of the assignments is writing an original, 5-10 minute script. So, this is mine. I'd like to get some feedback for it. Some girls in my class are doing a reading of it tomorrow, and the class is going to decide if it's good enough to perform as a major project. I'm really excited, because the practice readings today made me really proud. The girls who volunteered fit the parts really well. So anyway, enough intro, on with the script.

The Longest Night
    by Choucho!

Setting: House in a small town, during summer break or some similar holiday.

Characters:
    Christina Lang – A 17 year old diagnosed with cancer, she does not have long to live.
    Dr. Diana Stone – A therapist hired to help Christina cope with her upcoming death.
    Jennifer Lang – Christina’s mother. Wants to help Christina and doesn’t know what to do.

The scene opens on a dark stage; Christina is alone, sitting on her bed with a spotlight on her.

Christina: When we are young we are told fairy tales about girls being rescued by a prince and living happily ever after. We are kissed by fussy old relatives and learn that one day, we as well will be old and grey, and have children and lives. But I… I will never grow old. I will never be wrinkled or grey, or married. I will never have children. I will never really live. The doctors have told me this.

The lights come on, Christina starts flipping through her book. There is a knock.

Christina: Come in.

Enter Jennifer.

Christina: [to audience] Good morning.

Jennifer: Good morning.

Christina: [to audience] She wants to talk to me about something.

Jennifer: I want to talk to you about something.

Christina: Alright.

Jennifer: Well… (pause)

Christina: [to audience] She knows I said I didn’t want a therapist.

Jennifer: Now, I know you said you didn’t want a therapist…

Christina: [to audience] But she’s worried about me.

Jennifer: But I’m worried about you.

Christina: [to audience] And she thinks it will be for the best.

Jennifer: And I think it will be for the best.

Christina: [To audience] We’ve talked about this before.

Jennifer: I know we’ve already talked about this.

Christina: So can we not talk about it anymore? I just want to spend some time alone until my friends gets back from vacation.

Jennifer: I’ve already talked to someone.

Christina: You did what?

Jennifer: Just hold on a second, I’ll go get her.

Christina: Wait-

Jennifer exits Christina’s room, but not the stage. Diana enters the stage, in an area outside Christina’s room. Christina sighs and flips idly through a magazine, brushes her hair, etc.

Diana: Hello, you must be Jennifer. (shakes her hand) I’m pleased to meet you.

Jennifer: Yes, that’s me. You must be Doctor Lang.

Diana: Please, just call me Diana. Is there anything you’d like to tell me before I talk to Christina?

Jennifer: Well, she doesn’t really think this is necessary. She just wants to spend some time alone before her friends get back from their vacation. I called their parents, and they’re coming home as soon as possible, but it won’t be for another couple days. She didn’t want me to call them, and she certainly didn’t want me to call you. But her brother, father, and I have all been really worried about her. I didn’t know what else to do.

Diana: I see. Is there anything else?

Jennifer: Well, she has been spending a lot of time outside. I think it’s very peaceful for her in the garden.

Diana: Alright. If there’s nothing else, I’d like to meet Christina.

Jennifer: Of course.

They both go back into Christina’s room.

Diana: Hello, Christina.

Christina: Hello.

Jennifer: Honey, this is Dr. Diana Lang.

Christina: No offence doctor, but I’ve told my mother many times that I didn’t want to talk to anyone.

Jennifer: I know you did. But you’ve been so scared lately. I know you try not to show it, but I can tell. I didn’t know what else to do. Well… I don’t think it’s much good for me to be in here. I think I’ll go tidy up the house a bit. [Exits]

Christina: I can’t believe this.

Diana: I’m sorry. I’ll leave if you want me to.

Christina: I won’t make you leave.

Diana: So you want me to stay?

Christina: Not especially.

Diana: I see.

Christina: [pause] Do you believe in God?

Diana: Pardon me?

Christina: You know, God. The all seeing creator of the universe and all that.

Diana: Why do you ask?

Christina: I don’t. People keep telling me that my death is all part of some plan. Do you think believing that makes it easier for them?

Diana: People who are religious do tend to fear death less, yes.

Christina: I’ve considered it. But is it right to believe in something just so I won’t be afraid? Is it right to hide behind something and not believe it’s real?

Diana: I’m not sure I’m the best person to answer that question.

Christina: I’m not asking for an absolute answer, just your opinion.

Diana: I think it could make it easier for you.

Christina: But that’s not what I asked.

Diana: I’m a therapist, not a priest.

Christina stands up.

Christina: I’m sorry, but for the moment I think I would rather be outside. [Exits]

Re-enter Jennifer

Jennifer: I’m guessing it didn’t go well.

Diana: It certainly could have been a bit better.

Jennifer: I’m sorry, I don’t know what else to do.

Diana: She has been telling you she doesn’t want to see a doctor, has she not?

Jennifer: [distressed] Oh, I know she has but I’m just so lost in this whole situation. I know she’s scared, she has to be. But I think she’s trying to be strong.

Diana: Well what’s so wrong with that?

Jennifer: I don’t want her to die afraid.

Diana: It’s only natural to fear death.

Jennifer: But she’s so young…

Diana: It is sad.

Jennifer: But I can’t let her know how scared I am. How can this happen? How is it right that my daughter is going to die before me?

Diana: It isn’t right.

Jennifer: No, no it’s not. I just can’t believe it.

Diana: So why do you want her to talk to someone so badly?

Jennifer: All of her friends are out of town for the holidays. Most of them won’t be back for a week or so, but her best friend Ashley is coming home early tomorrow, it’s as soon as she could make it. All she has right now is her father, brother… and me. We’re all scared to death.

Diana: How is her brother doing?

Jennifer: He’s been trying to be there for her as much as he can be. He’s really scared and shocked, and sad. But Christina has been spending a lot of her time alone, outside. I know it’s best to just let her be, but we are all so scared.

Diana: I don’t think she should be forced to talk to me. After all, she doesn’t have much life left. I think she’ll be much less afraid if she’s just given her freedom, and if she’s able to enjoy her time more.

Jennifer: Yes, I know you’re right. I’m sorry, I guess I’ve wasted your time.

Diana: Not at all. Christina has probably been reflecting a lot on her life, past and future. The only thing she has left is the present.

Re-enter Christina.

Christina: Oh, hello again.

Diana: Don’t worry, I’ll be leaving soon.

Christina: Really?

Jennifer: Yes. I’ve known all along I shouldn’t force you into this, but I just didn’t know what else to do. I’m sorry Christina. How about I take the whole family out for dinner tonight, and maybe a movie?

Christina: Yeah… alright. That sounds alright.

Jennifer: Good. I’ll go phone the restaurant and make some reservations for us all.

Exit Jennifer.

Christina: So I guess you kind of wasted your time… sorry.

Diana: Not at all.

Christina: So… you’ll really be leaving soon?

Diana: Yes, why? Is there some reason I shouldn’t?

Christina: No.

Diana: I see. (pause) Well, goodbye Christina.

Diana stands up and goes to the door.

Christina: [quietly, to herself] Goodbye… what a strange word.

Diana: Sorry?

Christina: Nothing…

Diana exits.

Christina: But I am kind of scared…

Christina exits.

2. blackpoe66

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    wow... that was really good...

it made me cry...:tears: :tears: :tears:

this should definitely win.

3. Choucho

Awwh, I'm sorry I made you cry!
    Thank you very much for reading it, I appreciate it lots. ^_^
    But I'm glad you think it's good. ^_^

4. blackpoe66

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't be sorry for making me cry. IT's very hard to make me cry, and when I do, it's generally a good thing (at least in this case). I was just crying at the emotion in it.