1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speech Dramatic Interp. Idea?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TheLilyTribe, Jul 1, 2011.

1. TheLilyTribe

I figured this is as good a place as any to post this. I found a section from a book that I may want to preform next year during Speech season. Just to give a little idea of what I do, Dramatic Interp. is like acting a small one person play, which may or may not have more than one character. I was wondering if you all could give me some advice on this short story I found and let me know if you think this would be a good piece to preform? I'm sorry its a bit lengthy.

We Might As Well All Be Strangers by M. E. Kerr

“It was Christmas,” said my grandmother, “and I went from the boarding school in Switzerland with my roommate, to her home in Germany.

“She was afraid it would not be grand enough for me there…that because my family lived in New York, it would seem too modest, and she kept saying, ‘We live very simply,’ and she kept saying, ‘Except for my uncle Karl, who pays my tuition, we are not that rich.’

“I told her no, no, this is thrilling to me, and I meant it. Everywhere there was Christmas: wreaths of Tannenbaum hung, the Christmas markets were still open in the little towns we passed through. Every house had its Christbaum—a tall evergreen with a star on top.

“I was not then a religious Jew. I was a child from a family that did not believe in religion…and what I felt was envy, and joy at the activity: the Christmas-card landscape, snow falling, smoke rising from chimneys, and villagers rushing through the streets with giftwrapped packages, and the music of Christmas.

“Then we saw the signs outside her village.

“Juden unerwünscht. (Jews not welcome.)

“And other, smaller signs, saying things in German like kinky hair and hooked noses not wanted here, and worse, some so vile I can’t say them to you.

“’These have nothing to do with us,’ Inge said. ‘These are just political, to do with this new chancellor, Hitler. Pay no attention, Ruth.’

“I did not really even think of myself as a Jew, and while I was shocked, I did not take it personally since I was from America. We even had our own Christmas tree when I was a tiny child….Now I was your age, Alison. Sixteen.

“Her parents rushed out to greet us, and welcome us. Inside there was candlelight and mistletoe and wonderful smells of food cooking, and we were hungry after the long trip. The house was filled with the family, the little children dressed up, everyone dressed up and joyous.

“We sat around a huge table, and wine was served to the adults, and Inge’s mother said we girls could have half a glass ourselves. We felt grown-up. We sipped the wine and Christmas carols played over the radio, but there was so much talk, it was like a thin sound of the season with in front of us the tablecloth, best china, crystal glasses! I thought, What does she mean she lives modestly? There were servants…and it looked like a little house from the outside only. Inside it was big and lively, with presents under the tree we would open later. I was so impressed and delighted to be included.

“Then a maid appeared and in a sharp voice said, ‘Frau Kantor? There is something I must say.’

“Inge’s mother looked annoyed. ‘What is it?’

“Then this thin woman in her crisp white uniform with the black apron said, ‘I cannot serve the food. I do not hand food to a man, woman, or child’—her eyes on me suddenly—‘of Jewish blood ever again.”

My grandmother paused and shook her head.

I said, “What happened then?”

“Then,” my grandmother said, “we carried our plates into the kitchen and served ourselves….All except for Inge’s uncle Karl, who left because he had not known until that moment that I was Inge’s Jewish friend from her school.”

“I never heard that you were there when all of that was going on, Grandma.”

“It was my one and only time in Germany,” she said. “So you don’t have to tell me about what it feels like to be an outsider. You don’t have to tell me about prejudice. but Alison, I thank you for telling me about yourself. I’m proud that you told me first.”

A week later, my mother said, “Why do you have to announce it, Alison?”

“Is that all you’re going to say?”

“No, that’s first. First I’m going to say that there was no need to announce it. You think I don’t know what’s going on with you and Laura? I don’t need eyes in the back of my head to figure that out.”

“But it makes you uncomfortable to hear it from me, is that it?”

“I can’t do anything about it, can I? I see it every time you bring her here. I would like to believe it’s a stage you’re going through, but from what I’ve read and heard, it isn’t.”

“No. It isn’t.”

“I can kiss grandchildren good-bye, I guess, if you persist with this choice.”

“Mom, it’s not a choice. Was it a choice when you fell in love with Dad?”

“Most definitely. I chose him!”

“What I mean is—you didn’t choose him over a woman.”

“I would never choose a woman, Alison! Never! Life is family. Or I used to think it was. Before this!”

“What I mean is—there were only males you were attracted to.”

“Absolutely! Where you got this—it wasn’t from me.”

“So what if the world was different, and men loved men and women loved women, but you were still you? What would you do?”

My mother shrugged. “Find another world, I guess.”

“So that’s what I did. I found another world.”

“Good! Fine! You have your world and I have mine. Mine happens to be the real world, but never mind. You always went your own way.”

Then she sighed and said, “I’m only glad your father’s not alive to hear his favorite daughter tell him she’s gay.”

“I was his only daughter, Mother.”

“All the more reason….We dreamed of the day you’d bring our grandchildren to us.”

“That’s still an option. I may bring a grandchild to you one day.”

“Don’t.”

“Don’t?”

“Not if it’s one of those test-tube/artificial insemination children. I’m talking about a real child, a child from our blood, with a mother and a father. I don’t care to have one of those kids I see on Donahue who was made with a turkey baster or some other damn thing! Alison, what you’ve gotten yourself involved in is not just a matter of me saying Oh, so you’re gay, fine, and then life goes on. What you’ve gotten yourself involved in is serious!”

“That’s why I’m telling you about it.”

“That’s not why you’re telling me about it!”

“Why am I telling you about it?”

“You want me to say it’s okay with me. You gays want the whole world to say it’s okay to be gay!”

“And it isn’t.”

“No, it is not! Okay? I’ve said how I feel! You are what you are, okay, but it is not okay with me what you are!”

“So where do we go from here?”

“I’ll tell you where not to go! Don’t go to the neighbors, and don’t go to my friends, and don’t go to your grandmother!”

“What do you think Grandmother would say?”

“When she stopped weeping?”

“You think she’d weep?”

“Alison,” my mother said, “it would kill your grandmother!”

“You think Grandma wouldn’t understand?”

“I know Grandma wouldn’t understand! What is to understand? She has this grandchild who’ll never bring her great-grandchildren.”

“I might bring her some straight from the Donahue show.”

“Very funny. Very funny,” my mother said. Then she said, “Alison, this coming-out thing isn’t working. You came out to me, all right, I’m your mother and maybe you had to come out to me. But where your Grandmother’s concerned: Keep quiet.”

“You’d think she’d want that?”

“I think she doesn’t even dream such a thing could come up! She’s had enough tsuris in life. Back in the old country there were relatives lost in the Holocaust! Isn’t that enough for one woman to suffer in a lifetime?”

“Maybe that would make her more sympathetic.”

“Don’t compare gays with Jews—there’s no comparison.”

“I’m both. There’s prejudice against both. And I didn’t choose to be either.”

“If you want to kill an old woman before her time, tell her.”

“I think you have Grandmother all wrong.”

“If I have Grandmother all wrong,” said my mother, “then I don’t know her and you don’t know me, and we might as well all be strangers.”

“To be continued,” I wrote in my diary that night.

My grandmother knew…my mother knew…one day my mother would know that my grandmother knew.

All coming-out stories are a continuing process.

Strangers take a long time to become acquainted, particularly when they are from the same family.

2. This is beautiful! I think you should do it.

3. steel03

This seems like a good choice. It's a good story with enough dialogue to keep it interesting.
    If you don't have background in it, the German should be pronounced "YOO-den oon-ehr-vuensht" (the ü is like an eee sound through oooh lips).

4. TheLilyTribe

Thanks for your opinions, and Steel thanks again for letting me know how that's pronounced, I was a bit stumped.