1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dan Savage "Sarah Palin, I want to be your gay friend"

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Kanen, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Kanen

Don't know if this has been posted before but I found it too funny to not share.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leq3ydk5Ug4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Dan Savage is amazing. A freakin' sex god.

2. Paper Heart

Dan Savage is one of my idols. I aspire to be him, for reasons like this.

3. Yeah, I really don't like Sarah Palin, so I guess this is funny in that way...but I'm not a fan of some of the shitty things Dan Savage has to say about bisexuals and transgendered people...

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

What did he say about bisexuals and transgendered people? I love Dan Savage but I haven't really kept up with anything he's said recently...

5. Shevanel

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2sIf_sVYuc[/YOUTUBE]

Sounds like a douchebag to me.

6. Kanen

Um... how is that being a douchebag? He's speaking the truth, or at least going off his own personal experiences. He's right, a lot of gay people DO start out saying they are bi. I did. I'm sure a lot of the other members on this site have as well. He said nothing bad about bisexuals. That video states very clearly that he does in fact realize that bisexuals exist and has nothing against them. In another interview, he talks about his bi friend and how he definitely knows that guy is bi.

So, my question is, are you guys pissed because he's speaking the truth, that many bis do in fact end up as gay?

Just curious. Because I am in love with that man, and he's one of the least douchebaggy people I can think of.

7. Shevanel

Check out this article for some of his transphobic remarks.

Commentary on said article^

His racist remarks are brought up here.

And here is another article about his "Bi-phobic rant" as it puts it.

There also articles about him talking shit about rape survivors and women in general, but I think I have provided enough for now. They're easy to find anyway.

I was calling Dan Savage a douchebag before I read about all this stuff, and not so much about what he was saying about bisexuality in that video I posted, but more about the manner in which he was speaking, the unnecessary vulgarity. He just seriously seems like a douche to me, and I don't really see how anyone would want him to be a representative of sorts for LGBT people.

And btw, while it is true that some gay people initially come out as bisexual initially, it is entirely wrong to assume at all that they're actually gay, and just in denial or something.

You can love Savage to death all you want, I couldn't care less about that, it's your opinion and right. However it's my opinion that he's a douchebag.

#7 Shevanel, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  8. Kanen

We are going to disagree on this, as I can now see, but, I feel like pointing out the flaws in your arguement anyway. I personally found nothing wrong with his statements what so ever - and I read them multiple times to be sure.

Again, you'll have your opinions and I'll have mine, but it seems like you are being rather touchy. You're reading bad things into harmless words. And you're demeaning a good man's name. I don't feel like going back in forth in the debate, because I do realize it doesn't have much of a point. But Dan Savage is a good man. And to say that he is '-phobic' in any way is insane. Have you read/listened to any of his stuff? Really?

#8 Kanen, Jul 2, 2011
  9. Markio

I think Dan Savage is heavily opinionated, and in certain cases this has manifested itself in very affirming, productive ways as well as distasteful, disagreeable ways. We don't have the same sense of humor, but I am grateful that he writes books that document his experiences as a gay husband with a child, and so forth.

Meticulously dissecting another's dissenting opinions suggests that you are also rather touchy when it comes to this subject.

10. Shevanel

I'm not saying he hasn't done good stuff. I just don't like him. I have that right I think. Just because you seem to pray at his feet doesn't mean everyone else has to adore him. There will be people that dislike what you like. It's not a big deal.

Also, I did not write those articles obviously, those are other people's opinions as well.

#10 Shevanel, Jul 2, 2011
  11. Mogget

I also dislike Savage. I think 90%, maybe even 96% of what he says is spot-on, but when he slips, he does so majorly. In addition to his bigoted remarks, he has a habit of injecting humor into situations that really don't call for it, and I don't think someone who talks so much about hating vag is in any position to give sex advice to women or people who have sex with women.

12. Kanen

I'd like to apologize about my earlier outburst. I do really feel bad about it. You guys have your opinions, and I have mine. We dissagree, but that's life. Dan Savage just means so much to me. His It Gets Better video was the first one I ever saw, and it really helped pull me out of some dark times. I almost feel like I owe my life to him. So, when people say bad things about him, I go into full on defense mode. I'm sorry.