1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merchant of venice/shakespeare

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by dictionary, Nov 17, 2007.

1. dictionary

Have you ever read it/ watched it? Did you enjoy it? Whats your favorite bit?

Cause im reading it now for school and it was enjoyable untill i remember i had to study it for the exam... I have been reading it all this weekend and i keep on saying things like "hath you not got oranges" and its realy starting to effect me quite anoying actualy..

I like the bit when shylock says
    "you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in all the rest, we shall resemble you in that. If a Jew wrong a Christian, what is his humility? Revenge! If a Christian wrong a Jew, what should his sufferance be by Christian example? Why, revenge! The villainy you teach me I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction."

2. CrimsonThunder

Hmm... I remember watching some shakespear thing at school.. Don't think this is it though.

Shakespear is epic though.

3. waitingsucks

I Heart Shakespeare... does that make me nerdy? lol :grin:

4. davo-man

I haven't read The Merchant of Venice, but I have studied Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, 12th Night and MacBeth. My favourite was MacBeth and I maintain that the main cause of evil in that play was MacBeth's Wife. I find Shakespeare's writing to be incredibly intelligent and really enjoy figuring out every layer of the text.

5. pirateninja

Ah the infamous speech of Shylock! Had to write a whole bastard essay on that thing. I've got to say though, that particular speech is epic, it can be related to all kinds of prejudice, racism, homophobia etc. I love it!

Antonio annoys me though, the way he treats Shylock (eg spitting on him) and Shakespeare makes him sound great, when I think Shylock is the victim and probably wouldn't have acted so cruelly if the Christians were nicer to him and if his daughter hadn't run away.

#5 pirateninja, Nov 18, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  6. dictionary

Yeah but shylock just gives is as good at times "i hate him for he is a christian" and can be uterly selfish at times "oh my daughter oh my duckets oh my daughter"

lol sorry for the examples but for the past week my endglish teacher has been hamering into my head make a statment back it up with quotes.