1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New iPod?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Flyers2011, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Flyers2011

All righty.

I have a 1st generation 30g video iPod from about four years ago.

I've dropped it about a million times, it's cracked in six places, dented, and pretty much dead. The battery barely charges and it's just, messed up.

Obviously I'm looking to replace it. I was just wondering your opinions on the iTouch and the Classic iPod.

I want at least 30g of memory and I don't want to spend more than 275 bucks on it.

I just want some opinions on the versatility, usefulness, and awesomeness (for lack of a better word) of the iTouch and/or the Classic.

2. Emberstone

for the price, a ipod touch can add so much more usability beyond just a simple mp3 player.

3. 4alex6

I have a 32GB iPod touch that I got an amazon.com for around $275. It seems like it would be so much better then the iPod classic because you can so a lot more on it like: surf the web, watch videos better, play games, and use FaceTime to talk to your friends. The battery power on the iPod touch is a little less then the iPod classic and the touch is more awesome then the classic. Good luck choosing which one you want!

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Freaking love my 8GB ITouch and I mean I got it two years ago so there's even more to profit from the new one.

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

If you aren't willing to deviate at all from those criteria, you won't get what you are looking for out of the iPod touch. However, like Emberstone said, the iPod touch is extremely useful is so many ways beyond its capabilities as an MP3 player. I use it to browse the internet and check my e-mail all the time, and I also make frequent use of an app that allows me to send and receive texts for free as long as there's wifi (which, being someone who doesn't have unlimited texting for his phone and who spends his vacations in a town where the reception is incredibly spotty, that's huge for me). The new ones also have a camera, and since I can't connect my phone to my computer to transfer the pictures it takes, that's also huge for me. And for you creeperish types :icon_wink, the camera can be silenced so it makes no noise when you take a photo. It can't zoom in except by making use of a digital zoom (which doesn't increase the quality of the picture), and it doesn't have flash, but I've been thankful for it on more than one occasion. I also frequently use the "notes" application (which is included in the iPod touch) to write down reminders for myself when I don't have a pencil and paper handy.

Long ago, I couldn't have seen myself wanting an iPod touch in lieu of a regular iPod classic, but after getting one for free with my laptop two years ago, I'm so glad I made the upgrade. So seriously consider spending that extra 25$ for an iPod touch with the amount of memory you are looking for.

6. Flyers2011

One other area that I'm really concerned about is durability.

I pretty much destroyed my first iPod by dropping it (all on accident). I know the Touches aren't the strongest in the bunch, but they are more versatile than the Classics. I'm going to invest in a good case and such, but when I purchase an iPod, what kind of warranty should I look for?

7. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Guest

I have a 32GB iPod Touch third Generation (I think I got it for around $250-300) and it's really awesome. Much better than iPod classic. It's extremely useful, among other things I use it for homework notes, YouTube (you can also get the Vevo app), Facebook, Twitter, writing stories, playing games, watching TV episodes (Hulu app), and as a calendar/date organizer. Like 4alex6 said, the batteries last a little bit less than the classic, but it's well worth it. As for the warranty, I'm not sure. I've had mine for just over a year and I've dropped so many times I've lost count. Surprisingly, there's only one small scratch on the screen (I stepped on it while riding the bus :dry:slight_smile:. I don't have one myself, but if you get a durable case or protector it should be fine.

8. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I happen to have both an iPod Touch and an iPod Classic.

With the iPod Touch...well...they aren't the most durable. A lot of my friends have dropped their iPod Touches and cracked the screens (they still seem to work, though). I, for one, have had mine since I was 14 and haven't cracked the screen, but I HAVE jammed the power and volume buttons, which tend to make it a real bitch if you wanna re-start it or if you have a problem adjusting the volume on the touch screen. One good thing that I will say, is that it was very easy to use. I had no problem navigating, and if you have a large music library it's relitavely easy to find what you're looking for. It is great for Internet. My iPod Touch has gone to hell, but I still use it for Internet. I like it.

When it comes to the iPod Classic I love it. I have a 160GB and a huge music library (12,000+ songs), and it supports that. It's a little hard to navigate if you have a lot of songs. With the iPod Touch, there were letters onthe side and if you were looking for a Led Zeppelin song, you could just tap "L" on the side of the screen and if you'd be taken to "L" (if you were searching by Artists). iPod Classic doesn't have any way of doing that, but if you start scrolling through your music fast enough, it does sort of a "speed-search" instead of going through each individual artist.

I like both. It just depends on what you are planning on using it for.