1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay interest films

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Bowie, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Bowie

Hello.

I really haven't done any real research on this forum, but I hope this isn't a repeated thread.

Anyway, I love cinema and I've been watching a lot of "gay interest" films lately, so I thought I might start a topic to discuss them. I'll write short commentaries for the ones I watch, and I'd love to hear suggestions as well. So, here we go:

Beautiful Thing

Beautiful Thing isn't the most sophisticated gay film I've ever seen, but it's certainly one of my favourites. It tells the story of the love between two working class boys in England. It goes through all of their coming out process, with the difficulties you might expect (considering the film is set in the 90s, in a conservative, poor environment). The final scene is one of the cutest gay scenes I've ever seen. This is definitely a must if you like the genre.

My Own Private Idaho

Most gay interest films aren't what I would call artistic masterworks. As much as I like them, I recognise that what I probably wouldn't like them if it weren't for the gay theme. My Own Private Idaho is a big exception. It's not only one of the best gay interest films I've ever seen, it's one of the best films I've seen in any genre. It tells the story of two male prostitutes (played by Keanu Reaves and River Phoenix) who engage in a process of travel and self-discovery. Homosexuality plays kind of a secondary role here (River's character is in love with Keanu's, who isn't gay), but it's there. The astounding story, the dream-like imagery and the acting make this really worthwhile.

J'Ai Tué Ma Mère

This is a film about a gay teen with problems with his mum, written by a gay teen with problems with his mum (Xavier Dolan was 17 when he wrote the script). It's not exactly a film about homosexuality, but it plays a big role. The music choices are excellent and the photography is great. I very much recommend it.

Brokeback Mountain

You've probably seen this already. It's a beautiful love story.

The Edge of Seventeen

This is the film I've liked the least in the list, but I didn't quite dislike it. It's a story about a gay boy coming out in a conservative environment, which is pretty much what you would expect. It has no real surprises. Its most interesting aspect is that it treats actual sexuality in a much more profound way than most other films of the genre.

C.R.A.Z.Y.

Along with My Own Private Idaho, this is probably the best film in this list. It tells the story of a gay boy, from the day he is born (to a really homophobic family in Quebec, in the 60s) until he is about 30. It's rich in allegories, has an amazing soundtrack and really good acting. Don't let the funny title or the tiny budget deceive you: this is both a great film about homosexuality and a beautiful piece of cinema. You definitely should watch it.

2. Weatherguy101

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the recommendations, I have been interested in seeing a gay-related film, I'll check them out.

3. IThinkInCircles

4. Bosco

My favourite is 'Love of Siam'.
    It's in Thai, but you can get it with english subtitles like I did.

5. Nixon

C.R.A.Z.Y. is amazing when I first watched that on netflix, I loved it must've watched it 5 times afterwards.

6. Bowie

I'm gonna take a look, IThinkInCircles, thank you.

Speaking of non-English stuff, this 20-minute film called "I Don't Want to Go Back Alone" came to my mind. It's very innocent in its way of dealing with the theme.

7. Jayrock77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have seen all but one of these films, but I would have to disagreed, Beautiful Thing was my favorite on the list. A few others you may want to check out are:

Were The World Mine
    Sheltered
    Latter Days
    The World According to Chance

All wonderfully done movies.

8. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

my favorite/one of the saddest movies i'v ever seen (let alone LGBT movies) was "A Single Man"- it's awesome, i highly reccomend it. it's about this guy during the Cuban Missile Crisis whose partner of 16 years has died in a horrible car accident, and how he tries to continue to live his life

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

"The Laramie Project" should also be in this list. It is about the aftermath of the murder of Matthew Shepard (a 21 year old gay man) in 1998 based on interviews with residents of the town. It's not an easy film to watch though, and certainly not a feel-good film. Related to this I also recommend the book by his mother Judy Shepard "The Meaning of Matthew".

10. Katelynn

One of my favourite movies is Lost & Delirious with Piper Perabo. It's a really beautiful story, but it has such as sad ending...

11. TheD2

Ohhh.. How about Make the Yuletide Gay! and Trick. OHHH!! and Yossi and Jagger (sad but Jagger is too cute) :grin:

12. coastgirl

I second A Single Man. Beautiful, beautiful film. Highly underrated.

13. giantsteen

Prayers for Bobby is also another good one. Sad, but really good.

14. squally89

You Should Meet My Son
    Eating Out
    I Love You Philip Morris (Jim Carey)
    TLA Film

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will add to the chorus about A Single Man. This is simply one of the most beautifully photographed movies I've ever seen, the sets, costumes, and decorations are absolutely perfect, and there's a lot of subtle imagery and subtext in the film.

A bunch of other excellent films have already been mentioned. Latter Days is one of my favorites.... the acting isn't perfect, and it's obvious at places that it's pretty low budget, but it's still an excellent film.

16. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I think my favorite gay movie of all time except for Shelter is Les Chansons D'amour, for this reason. This is, in my opinion, the most beautiful gay love scene ever filmed. The movie mostly deals with grief after the death of a loved one, and it shows how the different characters deal with loss. Plus, it's a musical, and it's french which means its better than an American movie. x_x

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGiDyPpCwYE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

#16 Kidd, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2012
  17. geordie94