1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's no wonder people download music!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by beckyg, Nov 19, 2007.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Has anybody tried to open a CD lately? It takes at least ten minutes. That is my rant for today. :bang: :bang: :bang:

2. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Yer its quite hard XD, CD's r waste of space

3. Psych!

Psych! Guest

:roflmao:

I'm sorry Becky, but that's hilarious.
    I always used a knife or my teeth when I got frustrated.

How'd you manage?

4. EthanS

EthanS Guest

i just smash it on the floor if it annoyed me, and jus regret it later ^_^

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I tried scissors, a knife, and a letter opener. I finally got the side opened but the piece across the top has to be peeled off in little tiny pieces. It was very frustrating! I just wanted to listen to a little Christmas music!

6. Hydrogen

I have found using a lighter to burn the plastic on the corner works well... but then again I have pyromaniac tendencies...

I forgot they even sold CD's still.. I just use iTunes if I need a new song.

7. CrimsonThunder

Yeah using a lighter is a good idea, even music stores do it.

I also hate getting the plastic off a CD haha!

8. sdc91

Unwrapping it is the best part! . . . even if it does take a few minutes. It's kind of like Christmas, only more cellophane-y and you know what you're getting.

I dunno, it's just special for me when I buy something with my own money and get to open it for the first time.

9. ketivnilloc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The last time I bought a CD and tried opening it, I got cut. That is not a good way to treat people who pay for something.

10. InaRut

Yea over Itunes and getting CDS I prefer getting CDS. I like having them laying around my bedroom for some reason. Just the thought of owning the CD's gives me a feeling of superiority over others. Muahahha.

Plus if I try to not download movies to support the movie industry
    then why not do the same for the music.

Now excuse me I have some songs to download ;-) lol

11. CrimsonThunder

Thing that pisses me off about buying movies is you have to sit throught that annoying "do not pirate movies" shit! I just BOUGHT THE DAMN THING. And if you do pirate it, its not there!

Wheres the logic?

12. davo-man

I have a moral against downloading movies (although on the odd occasion I have broken that moral) but I dont so much find the badness in downloading songs. Yes I know that the people who produce it are losing money, but I think that they make a ridiculous amount of money anyway and they can make enough money just playing concerts. For instace, Justin Timberlake recently did a concert and the tickets were form 100 to like 1000 dollars. Now times that by the 100000 ppl in the stadium and how much money is that?...now obviously some money goes toward making the show, but i find it dumb that so much money is going to one person.

I think eventually downloading will be so prevelent that artists will only make money out of performing live, which I think is in some ways good cos then you dont get studio made artists like Britney (see how that turned out) but only the really talented artists

And back on the note of movies...I think thats not even that bacd, cos what I do is rent the movie from the vid shop and rip it and I dont think theres anythign wrong with that, cos as soon as it becomes a weekly (or it might be 3 months after it comes out, cant remember) all of the profits made from ti go to the movie store, not the makers of the movie. Therefore, I see nothing wrong with burning something where the profits are only going to the movie store anyway...rant over

13. CrimsonThunder

Firstly I don't think tickets would be going for $1000, that is just crazy. (unless you got proof to prove me wrong)

Alot of the money goes to all the musicians, lightening, make up, directors or whoever else has to help Justin put on his show, its a hell of a lot of people. :wink:

So really, theres a reason why we have to pay so much. >_>

14. davo-man

Oops, my bad it was only $595 for the most expensive, but I still maintain, that that is still like 15, 000, 000 in revenue (approx, i guess that ave ticket would be $150, and no i dont have proof on that one)...so yes I agree that a lot of that would be musicians, crew etc, but also a fair chunk of that would be straight to the "artist". So let's say that JT only gets...hmmmm Im gunna guess 2 million. Even so, he dos like maybe a hundred shows in a world tour. Again Im guessing, but I dont think these figures are too far from the truth. So anyway, in total he would get somewhere around 200 million dollars for a world tour.......Ive forgotten the point I was trying to make, but anyway I just think that musicians like JT mak too much money and I dont think that it really matters whether I buy FutureSex/LoveSounds or download it. And to clarify, in this instance Im talking about the mega rich artists, not those who are still trying to make it in the industry. Like if there was a band who was really good, but not well known, I wouldnt download their music instead i would buy it to support them

15. CrimsonThunder

Then he has to pay for hotels, transport, food etc. >_>

16. Jeimuzu

The reasons why the artists are still rich despite downloading is that they receive a very small fraction of the profits from their CDs anyway. CDs aren't where the the musicians makes their money.

If you want to support a musician, go to a gig, and buy their stuff from the merch table. If they're selling CDs on the Merch Table, by the way, it probably means they'll get the profits from them too.

And incidentally, almost all of the profits will go to the artist from a gig. JT will probably pay a few thousand to each involved in a gig. Say, a couple of sound guys, a special FX guy, ten or fifteen stage techs, ten or fifteen backing dancers, and on occasion a couple of backing musicians, so we'll say around forty people that he needs to have. They'll be probably paid somewhere between £500 and £2000 for the night. That averages at £1250. 1250 x 40 = £50,000. That's for a typical setup crew. Admittedly, another chunk will go to the venue owners, but that might just be a lump sum. If it's not, it won't be more than a few thousand. The promoter will probably take ten percent, or something like that, so a few hundred thousand pounds. It leaves the artist with nearly 90% of the revenue from the gig.

I know it's an estimate, but it shows just how much of the money goes to the performer.

#16 Jeimuzu, Nov 20, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  17. SpikySpice

It took me 5 mins to open a CD, and even took me longer if that CD was my favorite, i used my teeth, I hate the sticky tag on top, so annoying

Sometimes i dont liek songs taht are CD version, I liek the leak,demo ones better

18. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Perhaps it's a sign that it's too soon to be playing Christmas music (which I think it is, I think Christmas should be kept in December). :grin:

19. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    No way Paul! Christmas music can be played 12 months out of the year! :roflmao:

20. xxAngelOnFirexx

i hate christmas to the highest degree. maily because of the whole fake santa scam to get money to people. gifts are cool but because of my mental disorder i am unable to feel certain emotions and gratitude is one of them. so its very sad for me. giving gifts is the part i enjoy. and going to florida and seeing the lights on the palm trees and swimming on christmas instead of sledding. but back to cds. opening them is fun and annoying. but i rarely get them anymore.