1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saddest movie scenes

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Cynicite, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Cynicite

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Describe or (even better) post links to the saddest movie scene(s) that made you bawl like a baby.

Mine has to be Valerie's Letter from V for Vendetta

‪Valerie's Letter‬‏ - YouTube

2. crazyhead

Jean Reno's "This is from Mathilda" scene in Leon the Professional. You have to see it in context with the whole movie.
    And the garbage scene from Toy Story 3

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Toy Story 3, garbage and the ending.
    The abandoning scene and the ending of A.I.

4. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

The garbage scene in Toy Story 3 kills me.

5. acd92

Mufasa's last scene in the Lion King... :frowning2:

6. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Titanic-From when Rose lets go of Jacks' frozen hand to when Celine dion starts singing.
    Fox And The Hound-When the old woman is driving and remembering all the fun times they had on the way to leaving the fox in the preserve (tears). I'll try to remember more.

7. Leif

8. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i had to try ssoooooooo hard not to cry at the end of Seven Pounds

9. Kidd

Kidd Guest

The ending of Pay it Forward has got to be one of the saddest scenes ever. I always cry.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f198pJXYZOs[/YOUTUBE]

The ending to The Mist is very sad too. I was literally just shell-shocked, speechless.

#9 Kidd, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
  10. Shevanel

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu5f_T2wcRI[/YOUTUBE]

This. Do not watch this video until you've seen the movie, but you won't have to see the video if you see the movie, because it's obviously in it >_>

But seriously, see the movie. It's got wonderful Bjork and Bjork music in it. And it's horribly depressing.

In Schindler's List, besides being another extremely sad, yet amazing film in itself, one scene in particular got me so close to crying. Towards the "beginning" (I put this in quotes, because it's a long movie xD) , a bunch of workers are going through the bags and suitcases and such of the Jews being sent to the concentration camp (I THINK, unless it was to the ghetto) after they had to leave their luggage behind. The workers are sorting through the belongings of these people that basically have a death sentence, and just all of the stuff.

It's weird, how overwhelming that scene is. Everything that is sad in that scene is all completely off-screen and indirect, yet it was very emotion-churning. The music didn't help for sure.

Also, perhaps the entirety or at least second half of Life is Beautiful. Of course, another Holocaust film, but they sure do make heart-wrenching stories, besides the fact it's a heart-wrenching part of history.

#10 Shevanel, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  11. Eponine

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSPwdBIbx_U[/youtube]

I would look for a scene, but it's just a depressing movie overall. Right when you get to the inevitable ending of the film, it's just uber, uber sad. Closest I've ever been to shedding a tear for a movie.

12. Shevanel

:frowning2: I got shut out of my edit limit v_v Lost all the shit I just wrote! V_V Talk about depressing.

ANYWAY.

What I further included was Requiem for a Dream. The entire movie is a fucking clusterfuck of spiraling depression. If you haven't seen the film yet, WHICH YOU FUCKING SHOULD BY THE WAY, the story is about 4 people destroying their lives in their own ways at the very basic. The mother is the saddest though IMO. Ellen Burstyn plays the mother, and she's an amazing actress. This scene is pretty much the focal point of her performance critically.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3OK0KgXjmk[/YOUTUBE]

But the scene that stays in my head for days everytime I watch that movie is the one involving the mother and her friends at the end. It hits me. Like a fucking fighter jet into a brick wall. I can't spoil it, just watch it if you don't know, since the sadness is all within the context of the film anyway. But I really can't not at least shed one tear everytime that scene occurs during a viewing of it. I just ... can't take it. xD

Other notable films.

American History X. Most of it is rather sad. Especially the end obviously. Watch it.

Irreversible. Insanely fucked up French film. It's one of those films that is so shocking and so sad at the same time, that I wasn't able to cry at the ultimate reveal in the ending. It was just so fucked up.

All insanely great films though. Watch them. Or I will send bunnies with Ebola to your house.

13. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes, that was soul destroying. Wonderful film, though.

14. Markio

In the romantic comedy Must Love Dogs, there's this brief scene of Diane Lane in the shower one morning, crying... :frowning2: It was so sad! :tears:

Also the only movie where I remember crying is I Am Sam when Sam protests that Michelle Pfeiffer is "made perfect" and has no idea what it's like for things to difficult. Then Pfeiffer basically points out how she is not perfect, yelling all the things she keeps doing wrong until she starts crying. :tears: Although I felt really sad for the secretary when she starts crying earlier because Pfeiffer yells at her and tips over a table. :frowning2:

15. Kanen

In Prayers for Bobby when Bobby jumps, I was in tears. Then, I couldn't stop crying for the rest of the film. When Bobby's mother and the priest are talking after coming in from the rain, and she's crying, I just bawl.

16. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

Mufasa's death in Lion king

17. ToTheCeilingFan

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2, during Snape's montage. :'O

18. Kanen

Oh dear god yes ^. Cried so so so so so much.

I wish we could expand this to not only movies, but tv. There was this one episode of Doctor Who, called Vincent and the Doctor, that had me bawling. The Doctor met Vincent Van Gogh, and towards the end of the episode took him to the future and showed him a museum filled with all his work. Van Gogh was treated as a mad man in his lifetime, and no one liked his paintings, but he got to see that in the future, he was considered one of the greatest painters of all time. It is truly an amazing scene, I can't describe it justly. Here's a clip of it. I wish you could hear the dialogue. It is truly heartbreaking.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khvC1M14S1M[/YOUTUBE]

19. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shooting Old Yeller

20. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Guest

hmm, I can't think of any recent ones, but when Beth died in Little Women (1994) I thought that was pretty sad (I didn't cry though, I usually don't cry during movies, only books or songs...)