1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't you hate when stars get attacked about their sexuality?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by laura267, Aug 5, 2011.

1. laura267

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I don't particularly like Justin Bieber, but I think its unfair when people start calling him gay. And my favourite singer, Michael Jackson, got constantly asked if he was gay when he wasn't. The media is very predudiced against gays and the like. :confused: . This should change. Sorry if this thread is terrible, but I just wanted to express my feelings about the mass media. Thank you.

2. Enaithor

I can't stand Justin Bieber but people are far too mean to him - if you don't like his music, don't listen to it?
    And yeah he sings like a girl sort of because his voice hasn't broken yet (unlucky for him) but that's insulting to both him and to gay people to call him gay because he's straight and also because it implies that gay men are like girls basically

3. Miss T

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    People insult Bieber because he has more money than most people could possibly dream about and he's a young teen lol. It's jealousy for the most part. And as far as the "gay" comments go, I've got two words, "Selena Gomez"? lol But yeah that's definitely a cover up, or so people probably think. People tend to refer to anyone they don't like as a homo because they see it as some kind of ultimate insult. Completely and utterly childish!

4. steel03

The worst thing about Justin Bieber is that he exemplifies all the worst stereotypes about straight men. I wouldn't have any problem with his success except that he's a total asshole and a bit of a homophobe. He's not gay, he's just an idiot.

5. JudasKissedHIM

I am convinced MJ was gay and I dont mean this as an insult. I just think he was.

6. Just Passing

Completely this. Justin Bieber is a douchebag. Even I attack him over sexuality. :grin:

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't understand all the animosity toward Bieber.

From the various news articles and stories I've seen, he's been very adamant and public about denouncing bullying. He even had his staff track down the kid who fought back after being bullied, met with him, and brought him on stage to talk about why bullying needs to stop.

He also went to Japan in spite of the radiation risks and gave free concerts because he thought they could use some uplift. Much of his staff and crew refused to go, citing fears about radiation, but he went anyway.

And he's spearheaded many fundraising drives for worthy causes and opened up his own checkbook and been very generous to many.

I don't think it's a PR persona. Every story I've seen, every interview, people say he is gracious, polite, generous, and genuinely wants to help. He has no problem making fun of himself either, and seems remarkably confident and comfortable with who he is. I don't get the sense he's gay, but I wouldn't rule it out either... but it doesn't matter in any case.

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I do think Justin B. is talentless pre package corporate bubble gum, I kinda have a "So, what is he is gay" attiutde toward those comments. Which is funny cause once you throw thatout there most people see how stupid the look (or hear how stupid they sound).

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's all good and puppy dogs, except for the fact he still has said dumb things about being gay. I can't find the actual article but I remember reading him having a very immature stance about homosexuals and in some ways the way he handled it almost made it seem he was hiding something. Compared to like when some celebs are asked about it and they just laugh and brush it off and make light hearted funny jokes.

10. Emberstone

not as much as I hate stars who pre-alert the paparazzi of their schedules so they can be sure to be there to snap pictures to help keep the stars profile up.

11. Just Passing

I remember the same article you're referring to. He said that he had no issues with anyone who was gay and that it was their choice or something to that effect. I'm not usually affected by anyone who says this, but in his case, he just sounded completely ignorant and it doesn't help that he comes across as an arrogant little shite who hasn't learnt everything in life yet.

12. Allecto

I hate it when people call Justin Bieber gay. I'm queer and I don't want to be associated with that little shit.

13. Just Passing

Win. :grin:

14. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    win

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WIN

But yeah you make a good point. I'd prefer NOT to be in the same group as him...

16. Sidd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You make it sound like calling someone gay is an insult. It's time to get past that. There was an actress named Gillian Anderson who was on this show called the X-Files, she once said that a lot of people thought that she might be a lesbian and she had only one reply to that: she said "thank you."

17. KaotikPrincess

It's funny because I think the WORD is thrown around like nothing because it has different meanings, in that sense the word gay is used sort of as a substitute of lame or stupid, I don't think it's necessarily meant in the "gay person" sense. Like I am a big fan of the word Gay, I say "that's gay" when I don't like something, kind of like the word "retarded" is used, it's not meant to insult retarded people, it's just an expression that's been picked up over the years, nothing more.

Try not to think of it as a negative thing towards the gays, when it's used in that sense it has nothing to do with homosexuality, just like when Retarded is used in that way, it's not referring to mental retardation as it is personal stupidity. I don't know if any of this makes sense, it's all in my head and I'm not sure if I got it out right. So sorry if it's confusing lol :grin:

18. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

isn't it sad when anyone gets attacked for their sexuality?

19. Zontar

You know why I don't like Justin Bieber? Because his good looks got him lots of money and pussy at a young age.

The rest of you: don't lie. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's recently turned 17, he comes from not-very-populous part of Canada if I remember correctly, he likely hasn't been around a lot of gay people, and he's been constantly accused of being gay.

Imagine if you were CONSTANTLY hassled about your sexual orientation and were in the public eye constantly and people watched your every move and turned on your every utterance... and were 14 or 15 (which he was when he was thrust into the limelight.)

OK, so he's not made the most enlightened comments about being gay. He's a kid, for chrissakes! And one who has taken abuse from everyone, on all sides, about everything from his talent or lack thereof, to his hairstyle, to his clothing choices, to his sexual orientation.

I honestly think he's done incredibly well for going from a nobody to being thrust into the spotlight as he has. I doubt anyone here was as poised and capable of handling that sort of visibilty at that age. I know I wasn't.

I suspect Zontar's reasoning is the real reason why so many people dislike him.