1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Album that Saved my Life.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by FruityFascism, Aug 8, 2011.

1. FruityFascism

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was Yes, Virginia... by The Dresden Dolls. That album made me realize that being gay wasn't a bad thing, and that the world may be horrible and messed up at times, but it's okay.
    You can hear it here Yes, Virginia... | The Dresden Dolls

Do any of you have a song, album, or artist that helped you come out? I'm really interested to know.

2. x2x2x2x2y2

Brand New Eyes by Paramore (their other albums helped too, but not as much as BNE). It didn't help me so much come out, but more with my depression, which had a bit to do with me being gay. This album has helped me through all my tough times and I know it will help me later on.

I know it sounds cheesy and fanboy-ish, but Paramore will always be my favorite band because of this. They will never get replaced. Their music and the band holds a special place in my heart, not because they're "cool" but because they make music that actually means something. If you look at their lyrics, you can tell it comes from their hearts. The pain. The suffering. Even the joy.

Like I said, they'll always be my favorite and I know I can always listen to this album and be comforted that someone out there understands me and has felt the pain that I have. BNE saved my life.

3. Allecto

Considering Amanda Palmer is openly bi and Brian Vigilone is a straight ally, I'm sure they'd be pleased to hear about their role in your coming out.

I don't know if this counts, but I used to listen to Michelle Branch songs and pretend that she was singing about a girl. It was a fairly interesting thought experiment.

4. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

hmmm I would say, The fame by Lady Gaga and Britney Spears- Blackout changed me alot. When she first came out( Lady Gaga) I honestly did not like her at all XD it was probably cuse I was in a "rebellious"? point in my life where I was I guess deppressed and I would usually be like "I hate everything" and I would listen to really deppressing and like hardcore bands, and wear all black with skulls. So when I would hear a song like just dance I would be like "wth is that?" but then after I started to find their songs catchy and it helped me accept the fact I wasnt straight. Lady Gaga also helped me accept the wierdo I was, I was always trying to fit in but it would never work for me so then I finally decided not to care about that anymore and decided to be who ever I really was.

5. lol I'd have to say if there was a song that saved my life it would be "Watch the Sky" by Something Corporate. But if we're talking about what I listened to while I was coming out?
    JOAN JETT, BABY. It made me feel like I could walk tall and be a rockstar no matter what anyone said! I still listen to her stuff when I feel like I need to rock out a little to cheer up. :slight_smile:

6. Leif

Music is my life so it took me a minute to think of what one Album has saved my life, I think I've narrowed it down to two.
    First off is Songs Not To Get Married To by Reggie and The Full Effect. It is not a happy album. James Dewees, the only real member of the band, had just gone through a very bad divorce while writing it. It's filled with raw anger, sarcasm, and some silly bits. It's exactly what I needed at the time. It taught me that yeah, you know sometimes it's okay to be mad (I have a problem with letting people use me) and it made me remember to laugh.
    The second album is The EP's: Red Letter Day And Woodson by The Get Up Kids. It's mostly songs about moving on from relationships and growing up. I go through phases where I won't listen to it for a year or so and then I'll listen to it and be like "DANG, this is Exactly what I needed to hear."

7. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

No artist helped me as I was accepting that I was gay. However, once I started liking Lady GaGa (before she released LoveGame, I found her music really annoying) she and her music helped me actually start to like being gay and to build some self-confidence. Objectively speaking, she may not be the best singer or songwriter that has ever existed, but her music just does it for me...it just makes me happy. For me, there is something awesomely freeing about singing along to, "Let's have some fun, this beat is sick. I want to take a ride on your discostick." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. FruityFascism

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Kevin42 I find it funny you bring up that song. Lady Gaga has listed The Dresden Dolls as one of her influences. I think that song has a reference to them.

'I want to kiss you, but if I do then I might miss you babe' -LoveGame
    'missed me, missed me, now you've got to kiss me' -Missed me

I might be reading way too much into it, but being obsessed I can't help but notice these things. :]

9. Lebowski45

Undoubtedly, the artist that saved my life is Morrissey. Practically all of his music expressed my frustration and confusion over who I was, and the same music then started to make me feel gradually more secure in the person I am. Sexuality is a big theme in his music, but he's covered so many topics and feelings in his songs that I could/can relate to. If I was to pick an album it'd be a toss up between Vauxhall and I and You Are The Quarry.

I have to also make a special mention of a song by Neil Young, called "Philadelphia" (which was written for the film of the same name). ‪Neil Young-"Philadelphia" (Studio Version+Lyrics)‬‏ - YouTube Its a beutiful song which is obviously about homosexuality, seeing as it was for the film. It contains a line which made me really come to terms with my homosexuality: "Tell me I'm not to blame, I won't be ashamed of love." I think if anyone ever tries to make me feel bad about being gay I'd just quote that to them, I won't be ashamed of love :grin:

10. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Guest

Hmm, well I don't think an album has actually saved my life...but some ones that I really like are The Con, So Jealous, Sainthood, The Business of Art...all Tegan and Sara ones; Sidewalks and Grand by Matt and Kim; Something Real, Here, Here, and Here, It's Always Stormy in Tillamook, and Cocoon by Meg & Dia; and of course Lungs by Florence + The Machine <3...oh, and Make It Stop (September's Children) by Rise Against really helps during the process of coming out to yourself, I think.

11. Nightmaric

Maybe not save my life. But, Katy perry's album teenage dream helped me accept that I'm gay and helped me start enjoying life again. I'm still a bit reclusey but I actually go to parties and hang out with friends. Teenage dream is my anthem to finding a soul mate and I just can't not be sad when I listen to it. Also it doesnt hurt that i bonded with some friends through this song. And firework helped me realize that I'm worth a lot more than I think. Then there are other songs easier to relate to being gay ( peacock and not like the movies). It didnt save me but it truly made a difference in my life.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Undoubtedly.

100th Window, by Massive Attack.

13. Bi As A Kite

I'm gonna say artist rather than one album; Killing Joke's sheer intensity is almost something tangible that i can feed off and draw energy and inspiration from, especially inspiration to carve out an individualistic path in life. One song, Honour The Fire, is a wonderful, perfect soundtrack to stopping halfway through a struggle, looking around, taking stock and remembering to enjoy and appreciate life while it is still happening. Then there's You'll Never Get To Me...the title says it all.

14. Gravity Defyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd have to say Katy Perry's Firework, True Love 1980 from Ash but mostly Defying Gravity from Wicked: "Everyone deserves a chance to fly!"

15. toaster

Not really on coming out. But I find that Sum 41 and Simple Plan do speaks for me. When I am singing/listening to some of their songs ( Pieces, Welcome to My Life, In too Deep, Walking Disaster, Prefect ... ), I feel saved.

16. blankpaper

I love the dresden dolls <3 but my favorite artists that help me get through the day are Simon and Garfunkel. Random? Perhaps but I can'r help but feel good when I listen to them and some times thats all I need :slight_smile: