1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a book! Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Kidd, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I have all of this free time through the week now and I've decided to read some of it away, so I need some suggestions. I've literally read every book by David Sedaris and I'm kinda in the mood for something similar, I really want to read something funny. Any suggestions are welcome, but I'm kinda not so crazy for really sad novels right now, but they would be welcome too if they're like life-changing, jaw-dropping, breath-stealing amazing books.

2. Goethe

Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is an AMAZING book! It's a bit on the depressing side at points but definitely jaw-dropping and surprising! Definitely one of my favorite books.

3. Mogget

Try Terry Pratchett. He's funny. You can start on any of them, but Small Gods is perhaps his best.

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would recommend "The Vast Fields of Ordinary" ... it's a gay fiction book but one of my favorites. :slight_smile:

5. If you're looking for ridiculous and light hearted, you might want to try something by John Hodgman. He's pee-your-pants-funny and all of his stuff is basically free of substance. It's not life changing, but it will work those laugh muscles. :slight_smile:

6. thevedman

It's probably not what you're looking for at the moment but if you ever get the chance read 'The Master and Margarita' by Bulgakov, its one of my favourite pieces of literature.

7. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Discworld series by Terry Pratchet excellent sci-fi comedy
    Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy by Dougles Adams (Sci-Fi comedy)
    The Long Dark Tea-Time of The Soul by Dougles Adams (Current day Methology comedy)
    Any of the Brain & Brawn series by Anne McCaffrey
    Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis
    Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein
    Happy Potter by J. K. Rowlings
    Titan by Stephen Baxtor
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
    Pern Series by Anne McCaffery
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    The Art of war by Tzu Sun
    Evolution by Stephen Baxtor
    Congo, Jurrasic Park, The Lost World, Disclosure all by Micheal Crichton
    Dragonlance Epics by Margaret Weis
    Dinosaur Beach by Keith Laumer
    Animal Farm by George Orwell
    Dune Series by Frank Herbert
    Inkheart Series by Conrnelia Funke
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
    The Interpreter by Brian Aldiss
    Space Oddesy by Author C Clark
    Vampire Series (Interveiw with a Vampire, Queen of the Dammed) by Anne Rice
    Arcona by Anne McCaffery
    Astra, Merlin's Mirror, Wizard's World & Redline the Stars by Andre Norton
    The Black Hole, Midworld, Voyage to the City of the Dead by Alan Dean Foster

There are many more that i loved to read, but these are for me the best. My choice of novels range between Sci-Fi, Fantacy and Action.

---------- Post added 10th Aug 2011 at 11:09 AM ----------

Gerry, you know I am busy writing a gay sci-fi fiction series LOL

but do you have any more that you can think of, I would love to read it.

8. Bi As A Kite

Anything by Ben Elton is a larf.

9. steel03

You should absolutely read Bossypants by Tina Fey. It is massively hilarious.

10. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Any books under the name Robin Hobb (a pen name of Megan Lindholm's)are great. They're fantasy novels, but she really experiments with the genre. There are no superhuman characters; all of them, secondary characters included, have amazingly vivid and dynamic personalities. She is truly the master of characterisation. The characters truly drive the plot rather than react to it. Here's a list of her books in order of the timeline:

The Farseer Trilogy:
    - Assassin's Apprentice
    - Royal Assassin
    - Assassin's Quest

The Liveship Traders Trilogy:
    - Ship of Magic
    - Mad Ship
    - Ship of Destiny

The Tawny Man Trilogy:
    - Fool's Errand
    - Golden Fool
    - Fool's Fate

The Rain Wilds Chronicles:
    - Dragon Keeper
    - Dragon Haven

All of the above happen in the same world. They alternate characters, with the first and third trilogies being in a kingdom known as the Six Duchies and the second and fourth groups happening ... well, south of there (all over the place). She really breathes this world to life. Just to give you an idea of themes, they include the classic coming of age theme, fate (fate is a huge one), the price of gifts, the need for belonging/family and, most interestingly, that good and evil are subjective. In her novels, it is always clear who the protagonanist and antagonist are, but you will often find yourself empathising just as much with the antagonist as with the protagonist. Their motives both make sense. The protagonist isn't simply the big bad wolf just because he's the big bad wolf, and the antogonist does some very morally questionable things.

She wrote another trilogy which is completely unrelated to those above in terms of setting:

The Soldier Son Trilogy

- Shaman's Crossing
    - Forest Mage
    - Renegade's Magic

This is a really good series. Some of the themes here are similar to her other works, but it diverges a bit in focus. Of course, there is still the old warhorse of fantasy themes, coming of age, and you still see the need for belonging/family and fate (again, a big one in terms of the plot), but there's more. Overcoming cultural differences (the main focus of the trilogy), human rights and environmentalism have a role, too.

I was a bit apprehensive about reading her books at first (I started with the Farseer Trilogy at age 13) because they looked, to my preteen eyes, pretty boring, but I was enthralled as soon as I started following the life of the young FitzChivalry Farseer and his quest to know and try. Hopefully you'll enjoy them, too.

11. TheRoof

the devil wears prada? it was pretty ridiculous book but at least it was entertaining at least to me :grin:

12. Emberstone

i put it in my kindle wish list for when I get my kindle.

as for other funny authors, dave berry is compulsery in my opinion. Chelsea handler isnt bad if you can stomach her snarky, dark humor.