1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebecca Black drops out of school because of bullying

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by steel03, Aug 11, 2011.

1. steel03

Rebecca Black, "Friday" singer, drops out of school due to bullying - Celebrity Circuit - CBS News
    This is beyond disgusting to me. I cannot believe it has gone this far. This poor kid only wanted to have fun and make music, and we as a society decided it would be better to mock her, taunt her, ridicule her, deride her, and tell her to kill herself. And the worst part... How many of those people who torment Black have liked, favorited, or even made an It Gets Better video? I'm betting it's at least 50%. We live in a culture where, despite a gigantic movement to end this behavior, it's okay to bully some certain people, as long as, you know, you really don't like them.
    Now, since this story has come out, there have been all kinds of people sticking up for Black. My question is this: where were you three months ago when she was getting death threats? I don't like Friday either. It's clearly not a good song. But it did not ruin my life. It was stuck in my head for a day, and then it was gone. Nothing about it warranted this behavior.
    I'm appalled, shocked, disgusted, and running out of adjectives.

Thought you'd be interested.

2. Emberstone

I was and remain blissfully uninitated by her music. I am not a music addict, and do not bother to keep up with the trends, unless people force me to listen to some artists (which is how I learn lady gaga actually is really talented, the same for amy winehouse, and that justin beiber is just recycled crap being sung by someone who is really actually mediocere to the extreme.)

3. x2x2x2x2y2

People suck.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Friday was a terrible song, but that being said, she does not deserve to be bullied to the point that she quits school because of it. It's sad that it has gone this far.

5. I hear you, Steel03. That's completely effing bogus and we should all know better.

The worst part about it is she's actually pretty good and seems like a nice kid. The song that everyone loves to hate was not written by Rebecca Black at all. Some company got her to do the video and everything because she was trying to jumpstart a music career. (sometimes people have to do stupid shit to get into the biz...) At least that's what I read about her. And I did read about her. I fucking hate the song Friday and I think it's ridiculous, but I don't hate Rebecca Black for doing what she had to do to get a jump on her singing career--do your thing, girl, I don't care.

It's nasty that we love to tear people down so hard. We all do it, but why? It's like we're blind to seeing the hypocrisy of it.

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you actually thought she was "pretty good"....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9y810VEaG0[/YOUTUBE]

Either way I don't get it - why doesn't she leave the lime light if she wants to be left alone. :bang:

Also it may not be her song but could she write better? No. Probably not.

I pretty much agree with this.

7. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel bad for her...
    I have genuinely liked her since the beginning. Sure, her music isn't the greatest, but she is still doing awesome things that most people will never get to do.

I really admire how she responds to all the hateful comments. She's probably quite a bit more thick-skinned than most other stars.

8. Austin, the reality is, ^ this isn't the worst thing she's heard obviously but how could you possibly know that about her? She's a normal kid whose parents paid for some studio package and they processed her voice and pumped out a video and it was awful and went viral.

but now the girl receives death threats and comments telling her to commit suicide because she's awful and everyone hates her.

It's complete bullshit and we, of all communities, should know better than to perpetuate this kind of awful behavior. That's all I'm trying to say.

9. Emberstone

I don't remeber hearing her getting death threats.

I think this is indicitive of the celebrity obsession that is basically dumbing down our society.

10. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I have not seen any better from her. Not sure if her new song was written by her but I don't think it was good either way.

What I am trying to say is that she has a choice. She continues to produce music, and she knows very well what has happened, and what she will escalate by producing more. She has decided to deal with it and continue to make music. If she stops people will forget about her.

Anyways,

Death threats, telling her to commit suicide = unacceptable.
    Telling her she is awful and that she sucks at singing = acceptable.

In my opinion anyways. She put the video out there, and even made a new song despite the reaction to the first song. I think people should be allowed to voice their opinion.

11. I actually agree with most of that. I proudly maintain the right to voice my opinion about things I don't like. But, unlike a lot of people, I talk about the songs/food/movies/clothes and not the artists/cook/actors or directors/designers or people wearing the clothes. They are people and also entitled to make or do things I don't like. It's not about me. But yeah, I reserve the right to say I think something sucks.

But if she backs down now and stops doing what she wants to do with her life....the bullies win. The death threats work. The hateful comments are then suddenly made okay because the haters got what they wanted.

If I don't like something, I don't listen to/buy/wear/watch it. I don't boo it off the stage and tell the people responsible for it that I think they should quit going for their dreams because I don't approve of it. Their thing is not created specifically to please me and I can ignore it if I want.

Think about it this way: If every gay person who got bullied for holding hands with their partner in public stopped doing it...is that right? should we just submit to unreasonable demands of other people sticking their nose into something that's none of their business and not their problem?

That seems like not a good thing to me.

12. Zontar

Remember what I said about people and Justin Bieber?

Same thing. Bunch of jealous classmates.

I'd tell her to go buy the biggest, most expensive thing you can find and wave it straight in their envious faces.

13. steel03

I don't know what video you were watching, but that was actually really good. She's 14 years old! Her voice isn't mature or trained, but what she has is phenomenal for someone her age. I would bet money Ke$ha sounds worse than that without Auto-Tune. She has a ton of potential, but unfortunately, there is no way she will ever succeed now. In fact, I'm not even sure I can think of anything she'll be able to do with her life that won't involve ridicule anymore. It's not just the death threats that are inappropriate (although I will be the first to say that suicide is never something to mess around with), it's the fact that we have effectively ruined a 14-year-old's life. Mad props to her for keeping her head up through all this.

And I'm also going to remind you that she does have an unalienable right to pursue happiness.

#14 steel03, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's kind of hard to differentiate for most people between the artist and the song. For me I personally don't care to watch my words and be completely specific. Also, in this case, the artist is kind of bad. =/ It's not just the song.

You're right. And I think that she is not giving up because of that. But, sometimes, you can't do what you want with your life. It's the sad truth. Just because she wants to be a famous singer, doesn't mean she is entitled to be one nor does she have the talent. Sometimes when you receive enough bad reviews you just have to realize that you suck and singing is not your forte. But, I guess she can continue to do it if she wants. But she needs to accept the consequences of it, really. It's not a perfect world. She's going to get negative reviews and insults unless she gets more skilled at what she is trying to do.

She made the song and put it on the internet for everyone to see. Therefore she opened it up to everyone's review.

I knew this example would come up. But, the fact is that they are not the same at all and we all know that. Everyone has the right to be happy with the person they choose and to feel safe in public with them. Not everyone has the right to be a famous singer even though they have no talent in that field. *shrug* but idk. I think it's different.

But, you're right that if this is what she wants to do she should follow her dreams. She can do that. (Though I'd prefer she didn't because I don't really like the fact that she is famous and does not really deserve it in my opinion.) But she also must realize the consequences that come with continuing. Everyone gets people who don't like them and especially in that field you must be ready to accept the response. It's not a perfect world. Not only the people with positive things to say will respond. And I think people should be able to comment on things that they don't like, and watch them even if it "wasn't made for them."

---------- Post added 11th Aug 2011 at 01:39 PM ----------

I don't know what video you are watching. I could sing just as good as her. Look at the judges faces at the end. They all know she is talentless. She is just big because of luck. If her voice is not trained or mature yet why the fuck is she on stage. It really pisses me off that people make excuses for her. She needs to be excellent to be of celebrity status. But yep people like ke$ha do not deserve it either. The world is just stupid. They can take anyone and make them famous and make music. Look at disney.

15. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They do if they look sexy and seem like they can sell a product, it appears. :eusa_doh:

16. steel03

SHE IS A FOURTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL. OF COURSE HER VOICE IS NOT PERFECT.
    Let me just tell you that I study music. I've taken voice lessons for the better part of a decade. I know how the human voice works. It's sort of my thing. This kid has so much potential. Maybe she shouldn't be on stage *yet*, but to call her talentless ignorant, pure and simple. She COULD be "excellent" if people like you didn't write her off so quickly! There are hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of much worse singers on YouTube than Rebbecca Black.

---------- Post added 11th Aug 2011 at 04:07 PM ----------

How is it not the same? How on EARTH is it not the same?? She has just as much right to do what makes her happy and to feel safe doing it as everyone else. That is exactly the same.

17. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But there are hundreds upon hundreds that are better than her. And the ones that are worse, are not getting undeserved attention. If her voice is not perfect she doesn't deserve to be famous and doing big shows. And her audience is not going to consist of people who study music. She needs to be good enough that everyone can tell she is good. As far as I am concerned she is still talentless. =/

---------- Post added 11th Aug 2011 at 02:15 PM ----------

I don't know what I said that has made it unclear that I feel she has a right to do what she wants (I said she can continue if she wants because it's up to her), and she has a right to feel safe (I said that death threats were unacceptable).

But you cannot compare apples and oranges. They are still not the same thing. For the gay people argument, you have 2 people wanting to be able to do what other people do in public and feel safe. For rebecca you have a person who wants to be famous even though she is talentless. I don't really see them being exactly the same.

18. ezkill

You are partially right, in my opinion. However, I beg to differ that you actually CAN do what you want with your life. Doe she necessarily have the entitlement or talent to be famous? Who am I to judge THAT? Are you a producer or person in a position to determine whether or not she deserves it? Furthermore, why does it concern us? Sure she is putting herself out there, but it's as simple as not acknowledging her or her work. It doesn't have to get to the point of "well, *I think* she doesn't deserve talent, so it's okay for people to be rude with their criticism." Since when does not liking something give someone a free pass to be rude and disrespectful? There's a difference between voicing your opinion in a respectable manner, and doing it in a manner which is juvenile and unimaginative. Surely if some of you contend that this is okay, then you are essentially doing what YOU want, so why can't she?

Okay, again I agree; but does that mean if someone posts something on the internet now, you are allowed to be as rude as you want and say whatever you want to them? What if her reply was "I don't care what you think", wouldn't that be rude and kind of piss you off? If we follow this sort of logic, then when YOU say something to her that is negative, you are essentially opening up what YOU say to review. Hence, since YOU get the free pass to criticize her, she gets a free pass to criticize YOUR publicly expressed opinion.

Let me ask you this... if someone was wearing something in public that you thought was an ugly outfit, does that mean it's OKAY to tell that individual that their clothing is ugly? And when I ask if it's "OKAY", I'm not asking about whether or not it is free speech. That is a completely different side of the issue.

Well actually, it *is* the same thing, and here's why: so she's a "famous" singer, correct? In your opinion, and perhaps in many other's opinions, she does not deserve to be famous. However, she is pursuing what makes her happy, and I don't see how her career negatively impacts you other than slight-to-moderate annoyance everytime you hear her name mentioned, or hear one of her songs. Just as being gay doesn't negatively affect other people's lives... Everyone has a right to pursue what makes them happy, especially if it doesn't negatively affect you (i.e. doesn't interfere with your happiness).

Okay, on this one I 100% agree with you; but again, does that make it okay to taunt someone? There is a crystal clear difference between criticism and taunting. Since when does being a singer make it okay to be taunted in a mean manner? There's a difference between playful taunting, and being just plain mean. People were being mean to her. There's no question about it; and if we are going to stick up for people's rights to be cruel to each other in the name of "criticism", then it's only fair she has a right to complain about it.

Anyways, just my two cents!

19. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, idk about you but I know there is several things I just cannot do. I can't sing. And yes I am in a position to decide whether or not she is any good at singing or has talent. Everyone is by being a consumer of music we choose who or who is not famous. It only really concerns me because it frustrates me that the world is this way - that someone with no talent can be singing on national television, while someone who actually has talent doesn't get a chance. The world frustrates me and I guess in some way I hope expressing my discontent with the systems will help change it. Probably not. It will probably just fuel it.

I don't really care what she would say about my criticism too.

About the clothing, if someone was making thousands to hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars by wearing it...

Anyways I guess you're right. People are kind of being mean. I suppose it's not right. Criticism could be done more respectfully.

But she really should thank the people who were being mean to her since that's why she is getting to perform on america's got talent, why she is in katy perry's video, etc.