1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst Place to be Gay Documentary

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Hitchhiker, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Hitchhiker

I don't know if this has been posted before, but there's this really interesting documentary called the worst place to be gay. It's about an openly gay british radio DJ, Scott Mills, going to Uganda and learning about the horrible homophobia there. It's sad, but funny in some places (like where a witch doctor tries to 'cure' Scott by hitting him with chickens. LOL).

Anyways,
    The first segment on youtube:
    The World's Worst Place to Be Gay? (1/4) - YouTube

2. Zontar

That guy's got balls. They can pretty much hang you over there if you even claim you're gay.

3. Emberstone

they can also hang you if you have a vagina, are a protestant (but not their kind of protestant), if your a catholic, or if you have a brain.

4. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

Not true. Or at least no more true than anywhere else.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Wow. The little I have seen its very emotional, but very interesting. Its ridiculous to think that people have to grow up in such a hateful place yet we can hardly do anything to help :/ The people that come out over there have some ridcs courage.

If anything this at least makes you realize just how much we have been able to accomplish in our countries.

Thanks for sharing this.

6. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I'm just speechless. I don't understand why people are so angry over it.

7. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

it's really sad...the amount of primitive ignorance that still exists in places around the world today

8. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

It's simple, because people are starving, people are dying of AIDS and people don't have access to good education. I've been to Uganda, people are extremely friendly but people daily live surrounded by illness and death. People are then scapegoated. It's not always gay people (I didn't hear a single thing about homosexuality when I was there), there are many groups of people who are scapegoated.

Also, on top of this, homosexuality messes up some of the traditional economic systems which are based on marriage. In many cultures in Uganda dowries are paid to the grooms or the brides family. Homosexuality messes this up. Whether I'm gay or not doesn't really have an effect of my parents' or families well-being but in Uganda it can.

Add to this mixture American evangelical preachers and you've got the perfect mix of homosexuality.