1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite book/author/genre

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by The Black Rabbit, Aug 22, 2011.

1. The Black Rabbit

Hey, FIRST THREAD! WOOT! Anyway, i want to know what's your favorite book, author, or genre of book. (If it's your favorite book, give a little run down of it)

I'll start. My favorite (if you haven't figured it out from my name) is Watership down by Richard Adams. It is a true epic, with a dangerous quest to find a new home, and encountering the unknown along the way. Read it if you haven't yet, and if you never put it down!

2. Leif

My all time favorite book is American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I've read it at least once a year for the last 10 years. It tells the story of a man named Shadow, an ex con who gets caught up in a war between the Gods of old and the new Gods of America. I highly recommend it. One of my favorite parts is when one character asks another something and she replies with what is now known as her "I Believe" speech.
    I love pretty much everything by Neil Gaiman. I also love H.P. Lovecraft, Chuck Palahniuk and I also love compilations of short horror stories (far to many for me to list).

3. Bi As A Kite

Stephen King and Ben Elton are my fave authors. Could do with brancing out a little though. Dreamcatcher, Christine, IT, The Stand, and Hearts In Atlantis are amazsing.

4. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Harry Potter. Need I say more?

5. mischa91

I really love the classics. I think my favourite book (aside from the Harry Potter series) is Pride and Prejudice.

6. Rinto

Rinto Guest

Hehe I like the classics^^ I like Wizard of Oz. I don't really have any favorite author. But my favorite genres are drama, romance, fantasy, young teen, mature?, psychological and a little bit of mystery. I hate horror, suspense and just a wee bit of action.

7. maverick

Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Ben Bova, Poppy Z. Brite, Ernest Hemingway.

I like horror, fantasy, and science fiction. But I'm partial to literary classics too, just because that's my field of study.

8. BeautifulStranger

Anne Rice and Stephen King... They're two of the only authors I follow religiously.

Bookwise, I'm in love with 'Life of Pie' and 'Lolita'.
    I'm also super engrossed with 'Butcher, Baker' which is a dramatic retelling of a serial rapist-murderer in Alaska.

Like, it's legit awesome.

This man owned a bakery in Anchorage and he would pick up prostitutes, fly them out to the tundra and murder them.
    My aunt used to go to his bakery... Haha

As for genres, I'm a sucker for celebrity autobiographies...
    Nene Leakes, Kristin Chenoweth, Carol Channing, Kathy Griffin... I love that stuff

9. DefineNormal

DefineNormal Guest

Cassandra Claire is the only author who I stalk. My favourite book series- excluding HP- is written by her: The Mortal Instruments. I read it last year and now have another unhealthy obsession. It's epic.

I also like Skulduggery Pleasant, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Cold Comfort Farm, and way too many others to mention.

Genres would have to be YA-fantasy-romance because I'm still immature ;D

10. Veronica

Genre: I prefer fantasy and sci-fi. But I also used to read a lot of crime. But as with movies, all genres go. From mindless action to sobby romance.

Authors: I like Terry Pratchett, Richard Morgan and Alastair Reynolds. I've got a lot of Asimov on my reading list too.

I also enjoyed the two first books of the Song of Ice and Fire series. Heard they get bad from book 3-4 onwards.

I just realised most books I read are written by men! Any suggestions to other authors?
    I used to read a lot of Agatha Christie though ...

11. Artemicion

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time series
    JK Rowling - Harry Potter series
    Anne Bishop - Black Jewels Trilogy
    Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman - Dragonlance series & the Deathgate Cycle
    Mercedes Lackey - Obsidian Mountain Trilogy
    Eoin Colfer - Artemis Fowl Series

Yep...im such a fantasy person...:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Bolin

This is going to sound stupid, but I prefer the stuff you have to read in high school. Jane Eyre, A Separate Peace, The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, Scarlet Letter.... I loved them all.

13. Cnidocyte

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My favorite genre is fantasy, a little bit of sci-fi is okay, and just a smidgen of romance.

The Redwall series are my absolute fovorite books.

Trudi Cannavan, Tad Williams, Terry Brooks, and Cassandra Claire.

14. My favorite book of all time is Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey. It's the book that I wish I could forget so I could read it all again for the first time, in the same state of wonder.

Jacqueline Carey, Juliet Marillier, J.K. Rowling, some Orson Scott Card, Lemony Snicket...

I'm big on epic fantasy and some sci fi, but I'm picky more picky about my sci fi. At any rate, I don't really like to read all that much stuff that could actually happen. I prefer new worlds when I read.

15. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Favorite book of all time is Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe.

Authors:
    Miyuki Miyabe
    Stephen King
    J.D. Salinger
    J.K. Rowling
    Phillip Pullman
    T.A. Barron
    Orson Scott Card

16. Veronica

Heard of it, but never read it. I assume you can recommend it? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I need more fantasy or sci-fi on my reading list. I'm running out of books from my favourite authors.

17. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I have two favorites that I love equally....

First, there's Party Monster written by James St. James which is a true story detailing the rise and fall of the Club Kids during the late 1980's and early 1990's. The book mostly talks about James' turbulent friendship with Michael Alig, before and after he murdered their drug dealer, and the Club Kid's various drug addictions. I can't recommend it enough.

Secondly, is The Mists of Avalon written by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's a retelling of the King Arthur legend from the women's point of view. It seriously is the most detailed and intricate book that I have ever read, period. All of the characters and their relationships with each other are three-dimensional. I guess the themes in this one would be; religion, power, sexuality, greed, corruption, and magic, and love. It's really good too but it's way longer than the average novel. It's almost 1,000 pages long.

18. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This.

19. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

Stephen king,
    R.L Stine,
    James patterson,
    J.K rowling,
    Anthony horowitz,
    Eoin colfer,
    Rick riordan

20. Gay Boi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Family Album by Danielle Steel. The main character of the book has a gay son.

#20 Gay Boi, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011