1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GLBT Film!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by waitingsucks, Nov 27, 2007.

1. waitingsucks

The other day when I was supposed to be doing study, my friend gave me a call and recommended this film that was on TV for me. It was a comedy called "But I'm a Cheerleader" I found it to be really inspirational as well as really funny. Strangely enough most of the "gay" jokes that I usually detest even made me laugh.

here is the plot of it:
    Megan is a normal American girl who's one of the best cheerleaders on the team, along with having the captain of the football team as the perfect boyfriend. But there are some very unnormal things about her, including the fact that she doesn't like kissing her boyfriend, she has posters of girls in her locker and at home, and she likes listening to Melissa Ethridge. Does this mean that the normal Megan may, in fact, be... a lesbian?!?! Concerned, her parents and friends send her to True Directions, a gay-gone-straight camp led by the well-meaning, yet totally insane Mary and the "ex-gay" counselor Mike. As time passes before graduation, Megan start to come to terms with the fact that she's a lesbian and that she's in love with Graham, who stays totally open with her sexuality, even though her parents are ready to kill her if she comes home a lesbian.

I really enjoyed it and am now more interested in Gay films in general. I was wondering if anyone has seen that film or maybe u could recommend some good films for my summer break. :slight_smile:

2. CrimsonThunder

Reviews for the movie are bad, apparantly the characters are steriotypical too.

And it does no good for the homosexual community.

Plot sounds good though and I read that the actors do a good job, might watch it.

3. waitingsucks

Yea I didn't think it was the best film, there are better one's with similiar themes like "la mala education" I heard that was good, it is a stereotypical film maybe I should have just put it as a general film I liked. I think that it's good the film industry is actually making films about it wih serious messages. I dono I'm really tired atm maybe that is making me say random stuff that doesn't make sense. oh yea btw A freckled frog went to the museum to se a speckled apricot beetle with a thriving specialty for arachnophobia. but yea as I said i dono

4. CrimsonThunder

2:47 is a serious film about serious issues, if you haven't watched that yet I suggest you do. :slight_smile:

5. sdc91

Sommersturm, Juste Une Question D'Amour

Those are pretty good if you don't mind reading subtitles.

6. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sommersturm (Summer Storm) is definitely one of my favorite gay-themed movies!! Excellent story, acting, camera work and music and lots of eye candy too :icon_bigg :grin:

I would also recommend Edge of Seventeen, it deals with the issue of coming-out to friends & parents in a very realistic way.

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bad Education (la mala educacion) is an EXCELLENT film, but it's not even comparable to "But I'm A Cheerleader" It's so much deeper and more layered. And definitely not a comedy.

Summer Storm is really only impressive if you've not seen many other gay films.

Try Latter Days, Trick, Jeffrey, Lilies, The Hanging Garden, Get Real, When Night Is Falling, The Sum Of Us, Relax... It's Just Sex.

There are a lot of good gay short films, too, usually in collections, although of course you have to hunt through the so-so and not so great ones to find the gems.

8. sdc91

Hanno Koffler!! :kiss:

Funny, it combines three aspects of me: gay, interest in German, and rowing. It's like it was made for me. :icon_bigg

9. biisme

ooooooooo...it sounds lik i should try and secretly rent these from the library!

10. InaRut

I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!!!
    True Directions has the funniest logo in a movie yet.
    Lol

The x-x-gay people >_<

11. SpikySpice

I love Latter Day, older than Brokeback, but it's supergreat, you'll find out you all connected to that movie

I havnet watched Summer Storm yet, only part of it, it's nice

Uhm, teh movie 2 Minutes Later is just or bout to be out idk, it's bout a gay couple and a lesbian couple, teh 2 gay guys and the gils hooking up, only watched teh review