1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The film industry

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Dominoflare, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

Hey everyone, quite certain there isn't a post like this already existing and if there is, i apologize.
    Just thought I'd start a thread with this topic: The film industry.
    Who here is a member or aspiring member of this industry?
    directors?actors/actresses? directors of photography? producers anyone?
    any profession relating to the production aspect of films. short films, feature films, documentaries...etc =)
    (please note, this IS NOT a thread to talk about existing films etc. only to talk with other people interested in becoming a part of/ or are ALREADY a part of the film-making process or just anyone interested in the film industry)

I'm a film composer/sound designer, which means (for those who don't already know) that i compose cinematic music for films/trailers as well as the sound design aspects of things.
    Just thought I'd start this thread for any more people on EC who are producers, actors, directors, writers, composers and would like to have general discussions involving what they do, the process of filming, acting auditions, directors, up coming writers, film festivals and anything else you'd be interested in talking about that is relevant to this thread.
    keep it fun guys =)

2. Shevanel

Aspiring Filmmaker checking in =]

3. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

Awesomeee what kinds of films do you make? =D

4. Danny19

i hope to one day be a film director :grin:

5. ANightDude

Aspiring filmmaker here too. My goal is to direct/edit/produce/write/score my films. I'm just the kind of person who needs absolute control over what I make, I guess.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm surprised no one has yet, but I'm an aspiring actor. I know how difficult it is, but frankly...even if I had millions of dollars, I'd still act. It brings me that much joy. I frankly wouldn't care what genre, I just....acting is the one thing that truly brings me joy.

7. Psymark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would like to become a film scholar. But of course, I would like to direct a film, why not.

8. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

wow some really awesome feedback so far =D

That's awesome =) have you worked in any films or plays so far?

9. Bi As A Kite

Doing acollege course in media production, and I'm getting excited about all aspects of it - I currently feel I'll do anything: photography, directing, sound editing, recording, film-making, it all sounds awesome!

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah a couple. Got the lead in Rodgers & Hammerstein's Once Upon a Mattress last year. and a minor two years ago. I also am auditioning for a musical called The Boyfriend this year, though the director and I don't necessarily get along, so I'm not 100% sure if I have a chance to get a big role, but still going to give it a shot.

11. maverick

Aspiring scriptwriter.

I'm working on one about a serial killer in South Boston. :grin: It's called A Study in Red.

12. reallyrandomguy

DP/Editor/Mixer hopeful here!
    I took a class at University of Southern California this past summer where I had to try all aspects, and decided that those three fit me best, since I'm interested in the tech behind it all. Of course, I learned on Final Cut Studio, (before the very unpopular X, which I refuse to upgrade to), so I had to learn Avid.

The first time I was learning Avid, somebody walked by and said "You must be a FCP user." and walked away. :dry: I think I got better, but I was still slow using Avid.

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This isn't movie related, but my major is electronic media with a concentration on sports production. I might drop the sports production though.

14. djt820

That's a laugh.

15. Danny19

you know i like this too. Once when i was 13 i went to audition to some place in beverly hills. They liked me and wanted me to go back to audition more. I guess it was an agency. But my mom didnt want too because she didnt want that kinda life for me.. And she ruined my dream. but i still kind of want to do it sometimes... the thing is im a shy dude sometimes and i get stage fright :/

16. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

Ooh sounds interesting =D
    I'm currently working on scoring 3 short films for 3 different indpendent film making companies.
    The first film is still in the production process but the director sent me the script to read through and compose a few demos/get some ideas and get an overall "feel" for the film.
    Maybe we could do a collab if your film ever gets finished =)

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally am not, but my good friend from college actually does what you're aiming for. He mainly works in television, mainly because there's a lot more work there than for films, but he has managed to score a couple of motion pictures as well. He's not exactly a billionaire, but he's not hurting for work either. :slight_smile:

Lex

18. Haberdasher

Was interested in being an animator, even managed to go to college for it, not really panning out though and being seperated from my 3D animation programs (and the time needed to practice them) I think I'm losing the skills.

19. IanGallagher

Background actor on hit TV series and blockbuster films.

Interned at a top studio, don't want to reveal name - just top level, where the VP is excited about my prospects as a writer and is interested in a script I'm currently working on.

Not trying to get in. I AM in.

To those aspiring, keep working hard, prove yourself and you'll get in too - originally from small town disturbia. The quiet kid in class. Just goes to show how possible it is. You just have to live and breathe it though.

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes yes Ian, I wish you'd tell me who you are, but none the less, totally jealous but same time does give me hope.