1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REM Split Up

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lebowski45, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Lebowski45

So after 31 years, REM have split up :icon_sad: I'm kind of disappointed 'cause I've never seen them live and I was hoping they'd do another tour.

Saying that, their recent output hasn't been very good. In the 80s and 90s though they were simply one of the best bands. Green, Document, Automatic for The People, New Adventures in Hi-Fi, they had so many excellent albums. Not only was the music awesome, I think many people could identify with the lyrics.

Oh well, all good things come to an end. RIP REM :frowning2:

2. maverick

Aren't they old people now?

I like "Losing My Religion" and "It's TIOTWAWKI".

3. Katelynn

I really like Green & Monster, they were my two fave REM albums! I'm sorry to hear that they're no longer together & yes they were pretty prolific & creative in the 80s & 90s, but I agree. Their last few albums haven't been quite up to the level as their earlier work, so perhaps it is better that they move on. The only thing worse than a band that's past it's prime & splits up is a band that's past its prime & keeps putting out substandard material that just ruins the band's reputation, legacy & everything they accomplished. I'll miss REM, but I still have a few great CDs in my collection to remember them by! Thanks for the memories & the music guys!

Oh, & What's The Frequency Kenneth? & Stand FTW!!!

4. Lebowski45

I agree with you both, its probably for the best that they've called it a day. It's a good thing they won't end up like the Rolling Stones......

5. olides84

REM is simply one of the greatest bands ever to come out of the USA. I never saw them live either, but was listening to a REM playlist last night to remind me of it all. They have produced so many amazing songs over the years so it's impossible to pick a favorite, but I always remember Find the River, such a beautiful finale from Automatic for the People ...
    [YOUTUBE]KIJGlTu5sEI[/YOUTUBE]

6. Irate

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agree with the OP.

Automatic for the People was their best work.

their new stuff really sucked especially accelerate