1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terra Nova

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MusicMan12, Sep 26, 2011.

1. MusicMan12

Anyone else watch the premiere of Terra Nova tonight? What'd you think? I thought it was actually pretty good.

(And Josh isn't bad to look at either haha :lol:slight_smile:

2. ANightDude

I. LOVED. IT.

People are complaining about it, but I'm not really sure why. My only complaint was the iffy CGI on the dinosaurs, and the characters could have been a bit more fleshed out. But I thought for a pilot it was fantastic.

3. MusicMan12

I don't understand why people are complaining either! It was really great! I like that nerdy science fiction stuff :slight_smile:

I think it has good potential. I'm interested in seeing what kind of stories they'll come up with to keep people watching

4. KittyBoy

I think people are complaining because it bares a remarkable resemblance to Jurassic Park

5. No One

I have a hard time understanding the reasoning behind the plot. I mean yes, go back in time to save earth and human race. But why go back in time to when there are dinosaurs and other dangers rather to just before humans arise?

6. FloatingPiano

I thought it was pretty good!! :grin: I like the characters, and the action scenes were great. And I don't think the CGI of the dinosaurs was that bad, considering how animation on a lot of TV shows suck.

My only complaints about it were that I think I needed to know a bit more about the characters. Also, the plot was a tad bit confusing. Like the user above me said, why id they need to go all the way back to dinosaur times?

7. KittyBoy

I smell another 'LOST'

8. Skyfire13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah I thought the premiere was pretty good overall. There were a few things that just bugged me after a while though.

1. Why do we care if the 'sixers' broke away from the main group? I mean the whole planet is devoid of humans aside from this one colony so why would it matter? Wouldn't it be better if there were a few more groups?

2. The main colony is headed by a guy that has the exact same look as the main military guy in Avatar. I know we should take each character on its merits but please...it just feels like he is going to be the uber macho guy again here.
    2.1. Really-no democracy? No alternative form of setting up government? Just the one guy (or girl) at the head of each colony?

3. You would think that if you were going to head back in time to an era where dino's roam, the flora and fauna are radically different, and where you are going to be living in a radically different social environment one might bother going to an orientation thing. Instead-nope I'm gonna show I'm a rebel by playing in the water and collecting moonshine. Really writers? And the others knew all about the savage dino's hunting times so they really have no excuse.

4. Yeah the eye candy is ok. That shirtless scene clearing the weeds from the defense wall was nice but there is a real lack of variety in the eye candy. Everyone is clean shaven, fairly tall, built, and 'pretty'. None of the 'teens' have any sort of facial hair or a sort of ruggedness to them that this environment would probably entail. At this point in the story I really like the 'sixers' cause they have some variety to them (that shirtless hospital scene - nice ) and a story that is (personally) more intriguing. Where are our quirky characters or the necessary but difficult social misfits? A gay character would be nice too--but I don't really expect to see one here.

Overall I think it has potential and will definitely be following it this season.

9. Katelynn

I liked it when I watched it, but it was riffing pretty hard off of Jurassic Park, even in the design of the compound to a certain degree. Still, it was pretty enjoyable. I can even see elements of Lost coming into play here just from watching the pilot, which was pretty good! The other influence I see kind of at work here is Avatar, although more in tone than actual plot or characters, etc. It should be interesting to see where things go. Hopefully this series doesn't go the way of Earth 2, which was also interesting but not as good as Terra Nova...

10. MusicMan12

Omg now that i think about it, the head guy does look like the guy from Avatar!:eek:
    And the whole thing about the government is a good point too!

11. Katelynn

The actor that plays the militay commander in Avatar & the commander in Terra Nova are the same actor, he just has a beard in Terra Nova. I noticed that too, which is why I was feeling like they were trying to add a bit Avatar to the feel of Terra Nova. That's good tho, I'm not the only one who picked up on this, so I'm not crazy after all!

12. Hazel

Aah! This just reminded me of the show, I was hyped about it a couple weeks ago but totally forgot somehow. :eusa_doh:

Glad to hear it wasn't a flop.

13. SlickyPants

I was going to watch it and managed to get past the opening sequence and then realized the audio was out of sync by a noticable amount. I didn't watch anymore.

I don't know if it was the recording on my PVR or the broadcast that was out of sync. I'm guessing it was the broadcast because after about a half hour it was back in sync again. (According to my mom who decided to watch anyway).

Anyway, I would like to watch it but unless I can find it airing again I probably won't.

Maybe I'll just wait for the DVD/Blu Ray release.

14. Beachboi92

I loved it. Also for the people wondering why they "chose" to go to dinosaur times, what i gathered was there was no choice. It seemed that the creation of this rift in the time space continuum was some sort of accident or discovery. They also said the place they where sent to was a separate time line from earths actual past (or so people are told). I'm betting there is some contest as to wether the world they are effecting is actually the one they traveled back from.

I love how it shares things with jurassic park (loved those movies as a kid i had so many dinosaur toys). I think we have a decent amount of sexy eye candy (can i get an amen on hot military boy that has a thing for the daughter), and the possibility for some crazy plot lines being ready to pop out at any moment (anyone else thought of aliens somehow getting in on this action?). As for plot holes it actually seems pretty solid. We have to consider that there hasn't been any talk of there being a way to communicate with the people in the future once these people are in the past, the communication only seems to go one way with the people on terra nova receiving information.

Also the kids running out seems like something dumb kids would do. Especially if they haven't had an issue with being caught in a rough situation out in the jungle before. They think of themselves as adults and act accordingly, by doing wtf they want to do xD I feel like the head guy is going to end up in a similar situation as he did when he played the same character in Avatar, and the family is going to end up deserting to the sixer's eventually. Idk i just love the look of things xD

now that means i am trying to be trying to follow Terra Nova, The Walking Dead, Glee, The New Girl, Raising Hope (sort of), Bones, and House all at the same time xD

15. Harve

Exactly my thoughts.

16. Tim

Tim

I didn't like it.

1. Dinosaurs. There's scientists out the bejeebus there. Many dinosaurs were called by their actual names. Yet the best they can come up with for Pterodactyls and other flying dinosaurs are Howlers? Don't even get me started on Slashers.

2. Supposedly have amazing defenses to prevent from Dinosaur attacks... yet teenagers can easily get out of the fence without any effort.

3. Horrible CGI. Plain and Simple.

4. Who the fuck would ever swim in water in pre-historic times? Do you know how many freaking carnivorous things lived in the water back then?

5. Did they ever think that the reason they never found the probe in the future is that a meteor impact destroyed it? Cause you know, I'm pretty damn sure that would cause it, which would mean they could be altering the future by being there, despite what they think. Scientists are freaking dumb in 2180. Also, how the hell did a bag with a CHILD INSIDE get past security and X-rays in 2180? >_>

6. A "slasher" slashes a grown man, and his entire chest gets ripped off. Multiple "slashers" slash and bite at a teenage girl, and she comes out with just a few injuries. What the hell? Hell, one of the guys had his leg chewed off, but nope, the teenage girl is immune to their attacks. >_>

All in all, a very bad attempt to re-create LOST, just with Dinosaurs and earlier Time Travel.

17. Yuya

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea I agree the show was good but there were too many plot holes to be entirely believable. The CGI were awesome though. I think this would be a fitting sequel to Juressic Park lol

Definately better than the dinos from Primeval!

18. ANightDude

A lot of people are seemingly lost about the going back in time thing. But it actually is explained, is a time vortex, NOT a time machine. It only goes back to one place in time, and that happens to be 85 million years ago.

It's just the first episode. The real test begins in the next few episodes. Hopefully they can sort out the characters better and cover up any plot holes that might exist.

19. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I caught the show tonight and I loved it. I think it's because I was obsessed with dinosaurs when I was little.