1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just saw an opera!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Kovax14, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

I went to the Metropolitan Opera in new york city last weekend with my boyfriend and we saw the Marriage of Figaro for our 6-month anniversary. It was INCREDIBLE, I would highly recommend seeing an opera to anyone. The only problem is that especially at the Met it is really expensive so it isn't something I could do regularly (these tickets were a birthday present from his parents and they were around 250 dollars each to sit in the mid-orchestra...) but seriously these performers are astounding in their talent and their abilities to project throughout the massive lincoln center. If I'm ever old and rich I really want to own a penthouse in the city and go to the opera every weekend! its that awesome

2. EthanS

EthanS Guest

0_0 relli?? i thought operas r spose to b boring ^_^

3. sdc91

I haven't been to an opera yet, but I've played the music from a lot of them and I listen to them occasionally on the local NPR radio station if I have the radio on (they air the opera from the Met every Saturday at 1 pm here).

4. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

interestingly enough it was actually really funny, i laughed out loud several times throughout the production. its a lot of situational comedy sort of like the shakespeare comedies where its not like the characters are making cracks all the time but moreso that they find themselves in extremely peculiar circumstances; for instance, the opera involves several instances of cross-dressing that result in interesting situations

5. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I loved the opera when I lived up north, and really any form of performance.

Not anymore, Perry Georgia doesn't have much in the way of culture...lol except for mansions and trailer parks.

6. Ty

Ty Guest

Did somebody say Shakespeare? =]

7. Astaroth

If you liked the Marriage of Figaro, I highly recommend checking out the Magic Flute if you get the chance. It's Mozart's crown jewel.

8. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

yeah thats what ive heard, Die Zauberflöte right? i've heard it has really elaborate special effects and that the current queen of the night is incredible, ive only seen clips

9. William1

We get taken to the opera as part of Musical Appreciation. We usually go to full dress rehearsals coz otherwise its too expensive.

I seen Aida, Nabucco, Die Entführung aus dem Serail, Madame Butterfly, La Traviata, and Die Zauberflote. I thought I would be bored too, but it was magic! :icon_bigg

We also saw Der Ring des Nibelungen on video (but some of that was a bit boring).

#9 William1, Dec 3, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  10. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

I girl I know lives in the New York City and has season tickets to the metropolitan opera, so she can go whenever she wants. Those tickets can cost around 150,000 dollars. :frowning2: it isnt fair

11. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

i would imagine that Wagner's Ring Cycle could get boring considering that it lasts 15 hours typically

12. William1

Yeh we saw it one opera at a time (there are four) but even then there was like a lot of talking to music. But some of the arias were fan-bloody-tastic. Stuff like 'The Entrance of the Gods to Valhalla' and 'The Ride of the Valkyries (sp?)'.

But my fave opera is still Aida, with real lions and elephants in the Grand March scene, and the ending is really sad.