1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Radio

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Enaithor, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Enaithor

Anyone know any LGBT-oriented radio stations?
    After some extensive research using Google, I have only been able to find LGBT radio stations that just basically play house music. I'm looking for ones that spend a lot of the time talking, like a talk show.
    UK is preferred but my radio is sick and can get any radio station...needs to be in English though

2. Zontar

Sirius XM has Out-Q.

3. Noahroxursox

Any actual radio stations though?

4. J Snow

I had 3 months of free XM when I got my car. I fell in love with this station and then it got taken back away from me. I miss it =(

5. SlickyPants

There is a local (to me) radio station that one of the Universities here run called CKUW and they have their own LGBT talk show called Queer in your Ear, although I don't seem to see it on their site anymore. It looks like the name was changed to Queer Power. It airs every Monday evening and post recordings on their website. Queer Power – CKUW 95.9 FM

Unfortunately it is mostly local talk.

They also re-broacast an international show on Tuesday mornings called This Way Out. I'm sure you'd be able to find some download links on Google or even possibly a local UK station that airs this show.

6. Katelynn

I'm not sure about radio, but there are quite a few podcasts out there. I listen to a podcast done by two gay women called 2homos.com. These ladies talk about just about the most normal everyday things, but add a bit of commentary in, make some jokes & manage to relate the whole topic back to both of them being gay & how things fit in with that! Really good for a laugh I found! But there should be many other kinds of podcasts like that as well!

7. qboy

Talk based UK radio - there's your problem, not many of those about - just talkSPORT, LBC and some BBC stations are talk stations.

The only gay stations I know of in the UK are
    Gaydio on 88.4FM in Manchester - Gaydio - community station which does have a fair bit of speech
    Gaydar Radio on DAB across London and the Sussex Coast - GaydarNation

There is also LGBT Citizen which is broadcast on BBC Radio Manchester (104.6/95.1FM) at 21:00 Monday's and also on the Iplayer BBC - BBC Radio Manchester Programmes - LGBT Citizen Manchester - not listened to this for years but when it was on BBC GMR* under it's previous name (which has slipped my mind) it was predominately talk (BBC GMR became BBC Radio Manchester years ago)

8. CarolineBennett

I'm a bit of a geek for radio & podcasts--the limited space on my ipod can attest! :wink: I only listen to talk shows (or talk w/ a few songs thrown in). I've got to second kiersten about podcasts, there's so many that you can usually find exactly what you want in a show. If your computer/ipod/etc. can support it, I totally recommend searching for LGBT podcasts.

(JonSnow, I totally miss the free trial of Out-Q I had, too... awesome for anyone that can access it.)

Here's my little (or, well, not-so-little) list of the ones I check out most often:

Gay USA - Despite the name, they cover a lot of international news, very often UK stories. Weekly out of NYC, can find the podcast/audio version on Itunes or the Gay USA website. The video version of the show can be found on Gay USA on Free Speech TV | Free Speech TV or streaming on mnn.org on Thursday nights at 11 PM eastern time. I get most the LGBT headline stories from them... news-based, sometimes with debates or interviews. The hosts have been LGBT activists for decades and tell great stories on that. The video version will show the relevant clips to the stories covered, plus some rare, old documentary footage sometimes.

Born This Way Radio - This used to be on moheak.com 1 or 2 Sundays a month. I think episodes can be found now by searching them on Facebook or through "born this way blog and radio"? This one also has it in audio download and video streaming formats. 1 or 2 guys host it, lots of humour w/ news stories, etc. too. People call in & they have LGBT celebs for interviews. Slides over from a "pg" to an "r/mature" rating slightly at times.

Out-FM - NY-based, sometimes local-based. It also covers a really amazing mix of topics & interviews, lots of things you won't find elsewhere. Interviews/specials/clips can be downloaded separately rather than long episodes. If you're in NYC, you can listen live on the radio. outfm.org is the site, I believe.

Out in the Bay - San Francisco-based, podcast & live on radio in SF (IIRC). Podcast is on itunes, etc. This one covers a different LGBT topic/story/interview weekly, some of the archives have pretty cool guests. Has both a "G" and an "L" host. Seems to cover national & international stuff equally. outinthebay.com

Queer and Queerer - Just started listening, but dig it so far. Very extensive back catalog of podcasts. Older eps can be found searching show name on Google, newer eps on itunes. Has explicit/mature tag, 2 guys talking about the issues/news & some other tangents, humour, etc.

FemmeCast - Another new one to me, but really enjoying it. The host seems like a cool girl. :wink: This one is more a general podcast in some ways, more casual/fun... also seems to cover queer/pansexual point of view.

My best recommendation to get UK (or any non-USA-centric international stuff) would be Gay USA (ha, irony!) or maybe Out in the Bay, too... but hopefully this list gives a large range & something for everybody. :slight_smile: *takes podcast/internet radio geek hat off*! :icon_wink

9. dictionary