1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Tide causes glowing waves

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Emberstone, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Emberstone

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQX3yK8aw3Y&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Thought I would share this. a friend put me onto it. anyone who has read dan browns earlier book, Deception Point, already knows about this phenomenum, but bacterias and algea bloom cells can create bioluminescene when they feel threatened. there has been an algea bloom lately in san diago that has moved on shore, so when the waves crash on the beach, the cells panic, and send out light as a result, so at night, if the conditions are right, the waves light up.

2. Connor22

NO WAY!!! that's really class!

3. Emberstone

at first I thought it was digitally done, but this is actually happening, there was one of a kayaker with the water being displaced as the kayak cut through it glowing blue too.

makes me wish I was there to see it in person. I think usually when oregon gets red tides, they arent bioluminecisent.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen this happen one time before. It was happening at the beaches where I lived and me and my dad and little bro went to see it. It was really awesome! I barely remember it cus it was years ago. =/ I'd like to see it again. Is it only in san diego? :O

5. Watz08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I always love watching videos like that. I know there are places where you can buy some of the aglae and grow it yourself and I'm a bit tempeted to get some. :grin:

6. maverick

My brother lives there, the coastline is beautiful anyway, I'm sure it looked like something out of The Beach there the last few days.

7. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

That's amaizing! :3 it looks like something right out of a sci-fi film!