1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gus Van Sant (not only gay, but one of the greatest directors of all time)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BloodyRose3000, Oct 3, 2011.

1. BloodyRose3000

I'm a huge fan of his work - the more underground stuff in particular. Drugstore Cowboy is simply one of the greatest movies ever made, Paranoid Park is like Hitchcock meets Kubrick, Milk is fascinating, and Elephant is simply chilling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ANightDude

Oh God, how I disagree.

He's a fantastic director, but one of the greatest of all time? Not really. Those awards go to Cecil B. DeMille, Orson Wells, Billy Wilder, Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, and many others above him. He's great, but on of the best? Not even.

Juss' sayin'. :slight_smile:

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I don't want to be 'that guy' but I thought Elephant was one of the most tedious movies I've ever seen. The walking scenes were just totally unnecessary and were realistically half the movie. It had potential, but that alone killed it in my opinion.

4. ANightDude

YES.

I totally get what Van Sant was trying to do, but it was just... honestly, it was boring after a while. And I'm constantly confused as to why there are barely any students walking around (even after the bell rings) and hell, why aren't any of the characters ever in effing class? They're always walking around.

5. Shevanel

I think Gus Van Sant is one of the best directors of our time at least. Maybe not of all time though. But he really is good. I like quite a few of his films.

6. Harve

!!!

The 'walking scenes' of Elephant were incredible. I believe they were 'tedious' to show the banality of school life. The atmosphere was different to any other film I've seen (except, of course, 2:37). Soso eerie / claustrophobic.

7. kem

kem

8. BloodyRose3000

I agree 100% Granted, Elphant isn't high on my favorite movie list. But Drugstore Cowboy is beyond a masterpiece, Paranoid Park is just perfection, and Last Days was another great film. I love the quiet subtleties of his filming style, and the power of the visuals.