1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Movie you loved or book you loved

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Writerfun, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Writerfun

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am such a liftetime and Disney fan... so I would have to say I am lifetime addict. Anyway I am wondering if anyone has a movie they loved or a book that inspired you. The movie I loved was on lifetime was The truth about Jane. Not too many books I can think of I loved. I love to read though. Anyone else?

2. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I absolutely love Disney. :thumbsup: The movie "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron" inspires me. Most Disney movies are inspiring too. Like Tarzan, The Lion King, Mulan, the list could go on forever...

3. Vesper

Movies and books that I loved and/or that inspired me

Books
    • To Kill a Mockingbird: Atticus Finch is a model and inspiration for many, especially lawyers
    • Flowers for Algernon: seriously, read this novel--it is thought-provoking and profound
    • Neuromancer: The author invented the term cyberspace and foretold decades ago of the advent of things such as Twitter and Facebook
    • Catcher in the Rye: it's a controversial book for sure, but the theme of innocence really struck a nerve with me
    Movies
    • Erin Brockovich: a David vs. Goliath story that's based on a true happening in a California town
    • Beauty and the Beast: Heartwarming and fun to watch; I could relate to Belle's being an outcast in her new town
    • Up: the love story nearly made me tear up. The story of the girl who got a special screening of it hours before she died of cancer is incredibly moving
    • Stand and Deliver: Based on the true story of an L.A. math teacher who motivated his students to excel at math

4. RedState

Books:
    The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy--Based on his actual experience as a Cadet at The Citadel in Charleston, SC. All the names and such were changed but it is pretty accurate on what happened at that place in the 60's. Damn good read, and no one can write quite like Conroy.

Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee (no not the General)--This is actually a play but it is based on the Scopes-Monkey Trail which took place in 1925 in Tennessee (a teacher was put on trail for teaching the theory of evolution). The only time in American Judicial History when the Defense called the Prosecuting attorney as the lead witness for the defense...great real life drama. The authors took very little literary license with the courtroom scenes actually...just about all of the courtroom dialogue was taken directly from the actual trial transcripts.

John Adams by David McCullough--one of the best biographies I have ever read.

The Civil War: A Narrative (Volumes 1-3)--Without question the best historical account of the War of Northern Aggression I have come across.

The Bunker (I can't recall the author)--fascinating account of the last days in Hitler's Berlin bunker

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer--gripping account of Hitler's Germany from start to finish

Movies:

Amadeus ranks up there as my all time favorite I guess. It's the story of the personal rivalry between Mozart and Saleri. Everything from the writing to the directing and acting is perfect.

Downfall: If you can deal with subtitles (it's a german film) it is worth watching. Film version of the last 10 days in Hitler's Bunker. I've seen this film over a dozen times and it leaves me with chills every time.

United 93: About the 9/11 hijacked flight that was supposed to hit the US Capitol...an amazing film...it gives me chills every time I watch it as well.

9/11: A documentary made by 2 French brothers. It is really a documentary by accident, because they never intended it to be about that day. These 2 guys started filming a fire company in August of 2001 with the intent to document the life of rookie fire fighters in NY. They actually filmed inside of the Towers, and the only footage taken inside during the collapse...amazingly the one filming made it out. Just leaves me speechless.

All the President's Men: Even though it is about that liberal hack newspaper, The Washington Post, and their role in the Watergate scandal and the downfall of Nixon, it is still a very good movie.

Conspiracy: Chilling true life account of how The Final Solution was devised

#4 RedState, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Books:
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower"
    "Brave New World"

Movies:
    The Day After Tomorrow
    Inception
    Toy Story (1,2,and 3)
    Up
    A Christmas Story
    Christmas Vacation

I promise there are more, I just can't think of them right now...

6. femmegirl411

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ahhh I love movies, and i love to read so :slight_smile:
    Movies:
    - Never Been Kissed
    - Walk the Line
    - Country Strong
    - The Notebook (duh!)

Books:
    - Nicholas Sparks books period :slight_smile:
    - Gone with the Wind
    - Jodi Picoult books period.

- Amber :slight_smile:

7. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Books:

*Party Monster
    *What They Always Tell Us
    *When Engulfed In Flames
    *Naked
    *Me Talk Pretty One Day
    *Don't Get Too Comfortable
    *Born To Run
    *Bossypants

Movies:

*Party Monster/The Shockumentary
    *Les Chansons D'amour
    *Factory Girl
    *Charlie St. Cloud
    *Step-Brothers

There's trillions more. I just can't think of them right now. >.>

8. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The Lord of the Rings (books and movie) pretty much shaped my childhood.

9. Gallatin

Movies:

Titanic
    Gladiator
    Dances With Wolves
    Glory
    A Fish Called Wanda
    The Lion King
    U-571
    Independence Day
    The Star Wars series
    It's A Wonderful Life
    The Lord of the Rings trilogy
    Gettysburg

Books:

The Stand by Stephen King
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy
    The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

10. Miranda

Children of Men is a smashing movie that I watched this summer. In fact, we watched it as a part of the Humanities lesson :eusa_eh: In a similar way, Pleasantville is a perfect one, too :icon_bigg

Then, if I continue to be a bit philosophical, I adore the book Sofie's World. The thing that make me melancholic is that Sofie will always be 15 - just as a book character - as I grew up. Of course, it's true for all books, but it's the only one that make me feel such weird.

11. Tiny Catastrophe

Books: Keeping You A Secret, Suicide Notes, Scars, Night, Augusta, Gone (lovedddd the movie too)

Movies: Thirteen, True Confessions of A Hollywood Starlet, The Party Never Stops and I'm sure there are others I just cant think of at the moment)

(I'm also a huge lifetime fan obviously lol)

12. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    I read a book that a friend wrote (it's not published yet) and it inspired me to be myself and forgive people for the small mistakes and such else. I really enjoyed it. I don't know if she gave it a title or not yet though.

13. CrazyAntFarm

Favorite Disney movies by far are Aladdin and The Lion King.

14. Hushed Poet

Out Status:
    Some people
    Movies:
    Moulin Rouge
    Running With Scissors
    The Breakfast Club
    Girl Interupted
    Lord of the Rings ( I, II, III)
    Transformers!
    Spirited Away
    The Illusionest
    Chicago
    Big Fish

Books:
    Ellen Hopkins <3 anything
    Happily Ever After (written by many authors)
    It Girl Series
    Edgar Allen Poe

:grin:

#14 Hushed Poet, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  15. qboy

Books

Not been a really big book reader, but have recently started to get back into them - still trying to find what one of the books I read loads of times as a kid was called though (something about a whale that was a bit like a unicorn off the Isles of Scilly) - two books I literally couldn't put down (the first of which made me late for work as I missed the bus stop) are

Lance Armstrong - It's Not About the Bike
    Khaled Hosseini - The Kite Runner

Movies
    Senna (Docufilm, even though you know the outcome you can't help but feel emotional at it - the part where the Brazilian tv host is wishing him a happy 1990, '91, '92, '93 still has you urging her to add '94 to the list)
    Der Untergang (Downfall)
    Cidade de Deus (City of God)
    The Green Mile
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Das Boot (didn't realise this had an English soundtrack until I'd watched it - apparently voiced by the same actors as voice the primary German sound track)
    United 93
    Billy Elliot
    Toy Story
    The Lion King
    Wall-E
    Ice Age (1,2 and 3)
    Team America World Police

16. Paultwickenham2

I can recommend 21:30 Old Compton Fair Blue 6 Feet”
    Author: Marco Villa”
    ISBN 1467000353 or 978-1467000352
    It’s a really sweet story of a gay guy looking for real love and eventually finding it. It’s a light and yet intensive book like Uhlman’s ”Reunion”. There is everything from travel adventures in Europe, America, Middle East, Africa, Asia to love stories, from dating, to friendship. It is set in the late nineties to our days and outlined by the historical events we all know and their influence in the main character. Definitely recommended. Inside pictures are also nice.
    http://www.amazon.com/21-COMPTON-FA...HGL4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320144536&sr=8-2

[​IMG]