1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NanoWriMo 2011

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Emberstone, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Emberstone

Anyone doing NaNo this year? I am currently on 790 words of todays 1667 words minimum. I am going to shoot for 2000 by midnight.

I am useing nano to jump start my rewriting of my manuscript, so I am useing the structure of nano to get as much rewriting done before i do my polish-up and start sending it out.

I might even use it to dabble with the sequel.

2. FrozenFlame

I am, but I have no ideas -___-

I've had writer's block for a few months now, but goddammit I'm trying.

I wrote a grand total of... 108 words during my German class earlier today.

I'm screwed if I can't break this block.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm participating in my own way.

I love the idea of encouraging writing, and encouraging creativity. The part I disagree with is the "No" segment. Why a novel? Why is the word count so important? Anyone can write 50,000 words, but that makes it less "writing" and more "typing". I personally think that writers should be encouraged to write quality not quantity. If you've got an amazing story in you that's "naturally" 20,000 words long, you should be encouraged to write THAT, not pump it up to 50,000 words with filler and sideplots just so you can say you "successfully" wrote a novel. At that point, you didn't write a novel - you probably just destroyed a good short story. :slight_smile:

So I'd encourage everyone to write. As much or as little as they have it in them. Fiction or non-fiction. In any form you wish. The word count shouldn't be your goal - writing something that makes you think "I'm really proud of this thing I wrote". If that ends up being a novel, excellent. If it ends up being a short story, an article, an opinion piece - that's excellent, too. :slight_smile:

I've let my writing talents (such as they are) ossify over the last few years. I have a couple unfinished stories sitting on my hard drive, and I'm motivated to tackle them a bit this month and see if a full story emerges. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. Eponine

I've been writing quite a bit. Currently at around 3,500 words. Just over two days worth in just one day, which I'm really happy with. I'm not even feeling very tired yet, so I'm aiming for 5,000 by tonight, so I can hopefully relax a tiny bit in the next few days.

5. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I'm super excited. I wrote an outline today during my Criminal Procedure class and I'm about to start writing the end so I know where everything is moving towards. Now I have a Point A to Point B. It's coming together. ^_^

6. Emberstone

I am behind. only got half of yesterdays word count done, and need to finish writing a paper for class tommarow, and a article for a class on friday. I am going to try to catch up tonight though.

I am writing whatever I feel like, which is rewriting one book, dabbling with a sequel, and working on outlines for a sequel trilogy to the first trilogy. It is counts in my mind, because it is all apart of the same world.